Just In...

Watson Towers

well, i suppose the word now can be taken in many ways. Like history itself! As much as i love your stats, they only cover this season. and they are blurred into the beyond!

The McCall era is probably the bench mark... hence my time scale.

but... i love how the first 4 games (of 11) you list, were all cup games, 3 of which were alba cup games. :thinking:

taking the other 7... the raith game doean't count as the attendance was higher than the north stand!

so thats 6 games:

2 were midweek games, one a replay against a team we will play 7 times this year, the other against a team on a shitter of a night when barca played arsenal.

that leaves 4 games you could debate:

Saturday 11th September - Stirling Albion - 1994

Saturday 30th October - Cowdenbeath - 1841

Saturday 11th December - Ross County - 1509

Saturday 15th January - Stirling Albion - 1749

3 of those are against the 2 promoted teams, one dying on it's arse the other a speedway supporting joke team. leaving county, 2 weeks before christmas!

case solved. :thumbsup2:

This post and WJ's are a great example of how you can show what you want with statistics! Both of you should work for political parties!

:D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm the only one that finds irony in above given your username. :)

I'm too young to remember it clearly but the Winter of '63 was so cold that no football was played from January to March...Thistle's title challenge was frozen out...and Real Madrid were spared a fearful horsing at Firhill in the following season's European Cup :P

Some excellent points there. But I'd take issue with any suggestion that a 16-team league would somehow have more meaningless games than a 10- or 12-team league where teams play each other 4 times each season. It's only the h*ns or tims who are likely to win the league whatever the format, so at least 16 or even 18 teams would give some novelty over 4 Motherwell-Killie matches (for example) which are as meaningless as you can get.

And if you introduced more play off places that might help as well - especially for getting into the SPL.

I think any talk of that is a little premature, though the fact he will have 2 years left on his contract would come in very handy if someone did come in for him.

Mixu Pataleinnen was at the QOS match on Tuesday, think the only guy that he might have been watching would have been Foxy. Not good for us if this was the case. :thumbdown:

anywhere in that bracket

10 quid is fine

do other jags fans think that 17 quid represents value?

Understand, and agree with, all you've posted on the thread Stevie and agree a tenner is much more realistic.

Sometimes someone asks me what it would cost to go up to a certain game (my neighbour for example who only has benefit income but would like to take his wee boy). I find it embarassing to say £17. Its like a kick in the teeth to a guy who simply can't afford that to take his son to the game.

Also agree one simply gets too old, busy and tired for Tuesday night games in the freezing rain. I used to love Firhill under the lights on a winter night, but I too confess I find it hard to find the stamina for it anymore. Our family use season tickets so the club gets the cash whether we go or not and that is a fair and supportive arrangement I think. However, I do agree that a terrible atmosphere at the game will not entice people back.

Agree with most other points made as well. League construction is utterly essential, but I can't see it happening any time soon unfortunately. Also like the idea someone suggested about the reinvention of the League Cup on a Regional Basis. Couldn't that be set up so that both cheeks get to play with each other twice in that competition for the money.... and then only another two times in the league? ie opening up possibility of the 18 team top flight while maintaining the quarterly bigotfest.

Understand, and agree with, all you've posted on the thread Stevie and agree a tenner is much more realistic.

Sometimes someone asks me what it would cost to go up to a certain game (my neighbour for example who only has benefit income but would like to take his wee boy). I find it embarassing to say £17. Its like a kick in the teeth to a guy who simply can't afford that to take his son to the game.

Also agree one simply gets too old, busy and tired for Tuesday night games in the freezing rain. I used to love Firhill under the lights on a winter night, but I too confess I find it hard to find the stamina for it anymore. Our family use season tickets so the club gets the cash whether we go or not and that is a fair and supportive arrangement I think. However, I do agree that a terrible atmosphere at the game will not entice people back.

Agree with most other points made as well. League construction is utterly essential, but I can't see it happening any time soon unfortunately. Also like the idea someone suggested about the reinvention of the League Cup on a Regional Basis. Couldn't that be set up so that both cheeks get to play with each other twice in that competition for the money.... and then only another two times in the league? ie opening up possibility of the 18 team top flight while maintaining the quarterly bigotfest.

What other club at our level would get him & his kid in for £17? In that respect, I think you'll find we're pretty reasonable.

Parent & child at Raith is £19, although they do have a jobseekers gate if eligible.

What other club at our level would get him & his kid in for £17? In that respect, I think you'll find we're pretty reasonable.

Parent & child at Raith is £19, although they do have a jobseekers gate if eligible.

Fair enough but try finding £17 out of £65 a week.

I would hope Raith let in folk on disability benefits as well as those on Jobseekers. Good on them for making some sort of effort anyway.

Perhaps we could all wake up to the fact that nearly one third of folk in Glasgow of working age are on benefit. Those people are all priced out of Firhill at the moment because concessions can't be provided for the unemployed. This isn't the club's fault, its just that there is no way of proving your situation at the turnstyle. ID cards anyone? (only kidding :evil:)

I'd imagine £17 for father & son will be close to the cheapest in the league. That's of course of no consequence to your neighbour if he's got limited income and will have obvious priorities that won't include football. Just feel there's little to be embarrassed about a Club that's initiated the kids for free scheme. It must have allowed plenty a Dad or Mum to afford to bring their kids along.

That said I've long wished to see concessions extended to include those out of work. Other clubs manage this (for instance there's a "jobseeker concession" at Raith tomorrow). Besides it could result in an incremental benefit to the Club. Would be a major commercial decision nonetheless.

For a father & son

Cowdenbeath - £23

Dundee - £29

Dunfermline - £21 (£26 if son is between 12-16)

Morton- £17 (£20 if son is between 12-16, £15 and £18 if you want to stand but I doubt many would with a young child)

Partick Thistle - £17

QoS - £22 (£27 if son is between 12-16)

Raith Rovers - £19

Ross County - £20 (£17 if you prefer terracing)

Falkirk - £20 (£22 if 12-16)

Stirling - £21

We're even competitive with the prices in the league below

Airdrie - £22

Alloa - £17 (£16 for terracing)

Ayr - £23

Brechin - £16

Dumbarton - £15

East Fife - £17

Forfar - £15

Livingston - £18

Peterhead - £19

Stenhousemuir - £17

When you consider that other than Morton all the other clubs will be even more expensive if bringing more than 1 child to the game I'd say £17 is very good value in comparison to what other clubs offer.

I'm going to make this point one more time and then I'll shut up.

ONE IN THREE people in Glasgow of working age live on benefits. They cannot afford to go to the game, kids for free or otherwise.

Partick Thistle should aim to be a Community based club and that means we must try to be socially inclusive. At present, we exclude one third of Glasgow's population from our midst by way of our pricing structure.

It needs to change :angry:

I'd imagine £17 for father & son will be close to the cheapest in the league. That's of course of no consequence to your neighbour if he's got limited income and will have obvious priorities that won't include football. Just feel there's little to be embarrassed about a Club that's initiated the kids for free scheme. It must have allowed plenty a Dad or Mum to afford to bring their kids along.

That said I've long wished to see concessions extended to include those out of work. Other clubs manage this (for instance there's a "jobseeker concession" at Raith tomorrow). Besides it could result in an incremental benefit to the Club. Would be a major commercial decision nonetheless.

Don't forget the asylum seekers!

And those who might be feeling a bit under the weather.....

:rolleyes:

ONE IN THREE people in Glasgow of working age live on benefits. They cannot afford to go to the game, kids for free or otherwise.

Partick Thistle should aim to be a Community based club and that means we must try to be socially inclusive. At present, we exclude one third of Glasgow's population from our midst by way of our pricing structure.

Honestly, why not make it free for everybody?

It would certainly be a unique selling point, and surely we could get sponsorship for that?

That's not the fault of Partick Thistle who, by comparison to the one third of Glasgow's population you speak of, are probably football's equivalent to someone on benefits. By being the cheapest Club in the Division for families (see the prices above and think how they increase the more kids you take) Im actually surprised at your embarrassment. Be embarrassed that some poor sods in our country are expected to live on £65 a week. Be embarrassed that there are people on benefits who like being on benefits and sponge of tax payers (which includes Partick Thistle btw). Be embarrassed that there are not enough jobs in this country to get those who want to work off benefits. But dont be embarrassed that your Club are leading the way for the rest of Scottish football with their kids go free scheme. I understand your arguement about having concessions for those on jobseekers allowance etc, but your embarrassment is misplaced imo :thumbsup2:

Honestly, why not make it free for everybody?

It would certainly be a unique selling point, and surely we could get sponsorship for that?

I am fortunate enough to be in work so I am happy to pay my way. This isn't about those who can afford it.

Concession gates would bring in people who are currently excluded from any opportunity of following the Jags. We would have nothing to lose by trying this one.

The difficulty is with working out how people would prove their economic situation though.

It's great that Thistle are relatively affordable compared to other clubs. I'm happy about that.

But if how you find and spend £10 is a huge issue for someone, it really doesn't matter if the price of the football is £17 or if it's £19. It's out of your reach. And Glasgow must be crammed with people in that sort of situation.

I think sometimes we forget that the point of running a professional football team is to make people come along and pay to watch them. When they stop coming, you cease to have a reason to exist.

Change (even horrible, painful, unpalatable change) or die.

but your embarrassment is misplaced imo :thumbsup2:

I think you'll find its the crowds that have been misplaced.

Of course its embarrassing to tell you neighbour you're off to the game when you know they can't afford to go along as well. Well, it is to me anyway.

Totally agree Thistle have done great things with the Kids go Free scheme, but we are still excluding large numbers of people from attending which makes no sense to me when the club is struggling for support.

:thumbsup2:

To be honest the idea of opening up Firhill to the Benefit crowd would only cause greater expense to our Club

Why?

We probably get little money from people on benefits now, so why not try to get some?

Also don't like the use of the phrase "Benefit crowd". Your post is offensive to disabled people and those who are unlucky enough not to be able to find work.

I think you'll find its the crowds that have been misplaced.

Of course its embarrassing to tell you neighbour you're off to the game when you know they can't afford to go along as well. Well, it is to me anyway.

Totally agree Thistle have done great things with the Kids go Free scheme, but we are still excluding large numbers of people from attending which makes no sense to me when the club is struggling for support.

:thumbsup2:

What you embarrassed about tho, the cost of going to Firhill? The cost of football generally? The fact yer neighbour cant afford to go to the football?

The crowd is not misplaced, just reduced (for various reasons). Here's a question...would yer neighbour come to Firhill if the price was £12 for him/her and however many weans he/she wants to bring? To me that's still a huge chunk of yer £65 but good value for £12.

Excluding large numbers? How's that? Because we have no concessions for jobseekers? Seriously, how many more would you expect to come along with this sort of concession? The Club do have concessions for those with disabilities...I believe you get in for free if in the enclosure area and pay a reduced price if in the JHS. The Club do ok relative to other Clubs at our level but Scottish football is over-priced there can be no arguement about that one.

It's great that Thistle are relatively affordable compared to other clubs. I'm happy about that.

But if how you find and spend £10 is a huge issue for someone, it really doesn't matter if the price of the football is £17 or if it's £19. It's out of your reach. And Glasgow must be crammed with people in that sort of situation.

I think sometimes we forget that the point of running a professional football team is to make people come along and pay to watch them. When they stop coming, you cease to have a reason to exist.

Change (even horrible, painful, unpalatable change) or die.

Whilst all this is true, we're going to die regardless. Giving a Jobseeker a concession entry at £12 isn't going to make the football any more affordable than paying the full whack at £17.

If you cut the ticket prices to say £10 per person per game, what good would it do? Immediately decreases the Club's income by circa £14k a game on a 2000 gate and means you'd need a gate of 3400 (not going to happen) at every game just to stand still.

The harsh reality is you probably couldn't get 5000 people into Firhill for a regular league game if everyone was let in for free.

Whilst all this is true, we're going to die regardless. Giving a Jobseeker a concession entry at £12 isn't going to make the football any more affordable than paying the full whack at £17.

If you cut the ticket prices to say £10 per person per game, what good would it do? Immediately decreases the Club's income by circa £14k a game on a 2000 gate and means you'd need a gate of 3400 (not going to happen) at every game just to stand still.

The harsh reality is you probably couldn't get 5000 people into Firhill for a regular league game if everyone was let in for free.

I think that's probably true. I'd love to see it tried, getting a sponsor to cover the entire cost of a match and paying for the expected income, and announcing that it was entirely free to anybody who wanted to go. My suspicion is that not even the JH stand would get filled these days.