The Stadium Changes

potty trained

I still like Firhill & I also like the JH Stand, which I see as probably the best stand in the 1st Division & as good as many in the SPL.

Maybe I like it because it's what I've been brought up with, but to me it's home & I like it.

No matter if we have a small stadium with smaller stands, it'll still be the same sized crowds, if not smaller turning up. On the odd occasion the JH stand is near full, it's a joy.

My opinion is that we have 3/4 of a fine stadium, the away stand is perfect for what is needed, we have the JH Stand which is also a good stand. Most stadiums still have the old main stand, we have it also, crowd size dictates that it is shut for games. Behind the goal is a mess, but apart from that Firhill is a fine stadium for us. Building a stand behind the goal is a waste of money, yes it would look better, but we don't need it. (Unless I win Euromillions next week).

wouldnt be sad to see the JH stand go..its cost us a fortune!!! no doubt they will move the hospitality back to the main stand as well..tadgers have fooked our beloved club...just thinking about this today..how come they moved hospitality to the JH and then opened the Aitken suite pre match?? surely it would have made more sense to have the "supporters bar" and the hospitality area's beside each other??

Bit off topic there but..i genuinely fely very sad when up at firhill on tuesday night..maybe because i was stone cold sober and was looking round our once beloved ground in despair..1000 hardy souls rattling about in what is no more than a midden..

If it was possible i would love to see us in a fit for purpose 6k stadium on the other side of the canal..in all honesty i think firhill died the day the shed went

Some great points here, but to call the current Firhill as a disgrace, midden or any other such adjective needs a reality check.

The old Firhill, although I hold very fond memories of it, the stark reality is that compared to today's stadium it was a dump. Uncovered terraces, questionable toilet facilities, dodgy pie stalls. The shed was just that - a shed. Bits of corrugated iron over scaffolding stretching barely half of one side of the pitch and offering intermittent shelter in poor weather. The toilet facilities were honking and was basically a brick wall for those that chose to use them, many used the canal bank at the back of the shed.

It is not the stadium that creates the atmosphere, it is the fans - the pre match anticipation, the reaction to play and iffy ref's decisions and usually for us the resigned thought of what might have been after the match, occasionally interspersed with some ecstatic moments of a fantastic goal or victory.

If Thistle played in a public park us the fans would create the atmosphere.

Some great points here, but to call the current Firhill as a disgrace, midden or any other such adjective needs a reality check.

The old Firhill, although I hold very fond memories of it, the stark reality is that compared to today's stadium it was a dump. Uncovered terraces, questionable toilet facilities, dodgy pie stalls. The shed was just that - a shed. Bits of corrugated iron over scaffolding stretching barely half of one side of the pitch and offering intermittent shelter in poor weather. The toilet facilities were honking and was basically a brick wall for those that chose to use them, many used the canal bank at the back of the shed.

It is not the stadium that creates the atmosphere, it is the fans - the pre match anticipation, the reaction to play and iffy ref's decisions and usually for us the resigned thought of what might have been after the match, occasionally interspersed with some ecstatic moments of a fantastic goal or victory.

When the JH opened it was fresh and new....it is manky now..seats and toilets

Agree re the atmosphere but thats the point the JH stand is no longer fit for purpose if it ever was...

And another thing why oh why do they insist on opening the away end?? on tuesday night there were 10 stewards basically doing feck all..plus police..all more money which we haven't got going right down the cludgy...madness!!

What this guy said. Absolutely spot on. I can understand why there's a lot of feeling attached to Firhill - it's how I feel myself - but some of the views of the past are definitely through the old rose tinted specs. It was a dump and the club wouldn't be allowed to use it in that condition these days. The atmosphere is crap because the place is largely empty - no crowd, no atmosphere. It's all really straightforward, actually - get a winning team on the park for a long enough period of time and folk will come back to the club, fill the ground and the good old days'll be back! Simples.

What this guy said. Absolutely spot on. I can understand why there's a lot of feeling attached to Firhill - it's how I feel myself - but some of the views of the past are definitely through the old rose tinted specs. It was a dump and the club wouldn't be allowed to use it in that condition these days. The atmosphere is crap because the place is largely empty - no crowd, no atmosphere. It's all really straightforward, actually - get a winning team on the park for a long enough period of time and folk will come back to the club, fill the ground and the good old days'll be back! Simples.

Well we went down to ayr united the other week and they seem to get away with it!!! fantastic atmosphere...they have shoitehole with an atmosphere....but we have a shoithole and no atmosphere..which would you prefer???

As for rose tined specs..i think a lot of people see the JH stand that way!

I loved the old shed. When it was good, it was very very good. The best even. Too many to mention.... But when it was bad, it was ... well.... pretty grim.

Amongst all the "proud to be a jags fan" affirming moments, I also have memories of freezing cold tuesday nights against Aloa, 2 or 3 goal home defeats against Brechin or Dumbarton, "crowds" below 1500, standing up the back with plenty elbow room to sip ma bovril, looking through the fence at a vast empty away end, listenin to my mate sayin "f**k this!" and thinkin "aye... gash mate".

I was desperately sad to see the shed go, but was quite enthusiastic about the JH and impressed as it took shape. I recall standing on the south terrace with an older pal just before it opened trying to talk it up. Unrestricted view, more money from new function suites, no more pissin in the rain, seats aye , but you wont have to sit..... I was quite convinced that it was probably a good thing. His response, "we'll fill it twice a year if we're lucky."

And when it has been full it has never been as good as the shed for atmosphere. You buy tickets for a cup game against the old firm then find out half your pals are at the other end of the stand. You get organised and get a wee group of likely lads sitting together, start a wee sing song and some old dude starts in your ear about sitting down or you get dirty looks from a mum for swearin in front of the weans. We score a goal!...But ye cannae really taunt the away fans properly from the city end when they're away behind the goal and that mum is still givin you the evil eye.... Section B WAn...UM....Blank...blank...blank?!?!.... uff!

There used to be 4 or 5 options going to firhill. The stand, the shed, behind the goal, the enclosure, hospitality. Each option offered a distinctly different feel to watching the game. Priced at different levels, if not entirely logically, punters generally found a place in the ground to suit them. Even under the shed there was an air of 3 degrees of supporter types. Each of the 3 sections got a wee bit "madder" as you got closer to the fence and the away supporters.

Now there are two options. 17 quid or 85 quid. Apart from the clothes you're wearing, when your actually watching the game..... is there any real difference between the two?

There is no arguement that the JH as a facility and potential money making asset is a vast improvement on the old shed and terrace. But in making that improvement we didn't just loose the chance to stand and lean on a stantion while watching the game and behaving badly. We lost decades of familiarity, knowing what to expect and what was acceptable. In relying solely on the J.H. we have lost alot of character, variety, and choice.

I think alot could be done to make it better.

This is the issue about atmosphere in a nutshell. It's the fans who make it.

This season has seen an almost perfect storm of circumstances against growth in numbers at our games - lack of free cash, the weather, uninspiring play on the pitch and uncertainty about the club's future. An ugly alloy that sees fans shrugging their shoulders and walking away.

Nothing at Firhill is going to improve unless there's money to spend. That's not likely. The die has been cast. We're selling Firhill piece by piece.

You dont know how hard it was for me to say that jaggernaut. My dad started taking me to Firhill in the late 50s and I love the ground, but I am now embarrased by it. The directors over the last decade have a lot to answer for, for the way they have let the ground decay

Do you think that this was part of the "master plan" by these same directors in order for Propco to flourish? They indeed have sins to answer for. God, how I loved Firhill!

Where did it all go wrong?

Answer : There's only one John Lambie.

Credit is due for the heart and cash of Jim Oliver too. Lambie will tell you just how important Jim was to the 90s successes. But, I think he was seduced by the glamour the SPL promised and took Lambie's wizardry of keeping us there for granted. He also made a big mistake not paying Jez Moxey whatever he wanted to stay at the club. Instead he stuck with what he new, building.

Breifly, how i recall it....

* The 80s, a decade of first division mediocrity. Relegation from the prem, sell our best players, crowds average 2000 at best, cup runs are like hens' teeth. Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed".

* The 90s, enter Oliver & Lambie. Bosh! Premier league. Easy-peasy! .... Don't mention Sandy b*s*a*ding Clark, Meadowbank, or skin of teeth goal diff.... Ha-Ha-Hamilton!!!! getitrightupye!!!

* 4 seasons at the top table. Money cant be bad? Invest in the team? Aye but Lambie's a genius and as long as we're not relegated.... let's build a great big stand!

* Oh-NO!!!!Lambie leaves for F**kin Falkirk!!!! sorry... F**k**k..... Play off??? W.T.F!!!!!

* The 00s looming and Bish bash Bollocks.... 2nd div!?!?!? Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed". Fingers oot and Save the Jags.

* Job's a goodun. "The peoples club". No it is nae! Aye it is! NAW.... It's no really. ... AYe , but it is sortae? ... disnae matter.

* Party coz it's 1999 and we've nowt to fear cuz Lambini's here! Goin up-up-up!!! 10,000 seats Mr SPL Sir? Oh we'll see to that right away Sir. What d'you mean money for the team? Can't you see the big lads'll pick on us if we don't look the part? Never mind the quality, feel the glamour!

* Gerry C.? Unsupervised? Y'sure bout tha....? Gerry B.& Deek?!?!?!? Y'f**kin sure bout tha......? At leaste we've got 10,000 seats That'll save us ..... TITS!!!!!!

* Campbell? .... What's his first name? .... aye whatever.

* OH! We am de jammy b*s*a*ds!!!! serves ye right ya fish fiddlers!!!! Here we go here we go here we go!!!! All we need to do now is get John back in the hot seat and.... John? ..... JOHN? ...... JOOOHHHNNNNNNNN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

* Right..... Ian..... Your mission should you choose to accept it..... Impossible? What d'ya mean? You never heard of The great John Lambie? ..... Now get to it. Sharpish mind we've got 10,000 seats to fill..... and dont be askin for any money till you fill em..... oh and see that guy, aye the one that actually looks like a footballer? We're sellin him. .... You don't really need a full time assistant, do you?

* Ask any fan, "Club's gubbed".

A fair summation of the history of this football club in recent times I'd say, unfortunately!

Does it break the SFL rules?

No, it doesn't break the rules but I suspect you underestimate the depth of feeling against such a move and the depth of the hole our club is in.

Besides, the Spiders are my fallback club if the rocket scientists in the Thistle boardroom lead our club to its demise.

No, it doesn't break the rules but I suspect you underestimate the depth of feeling against such a move and the depth of the hole our club is in.

Besides, the Spiders are my fallback club if the rocket scientists in the Thistle boardroom lead our club to its demise.

Well, you are right. I am quite an "outsider" to the Firhill community, and while I was Glasgow I had little chance to go to Firhill because of study and illness. So my idea sounds strange.

But I still think that Hampden is a very good venue for us.

Frankly, Hampden isn't a good sporting venue full stop. In my opinion.

I watched the Thistle reserves play the Spiders a couple of weeks ago at Lesser Hampden and that has the potential to be a good little football venue but, as I understand it, Lesser Hampden is becoming mixed use for the Commonwealth Games.

• 1 month later...

That early 90's design for Firhill is nice but I wonder if these days of depression the office buildings would stand empty and unused.

If I was to win big money on the lottery one weekend would it be even feasible to do anything with Firhill these days?

I don't fully understand the PropCo deal but I imagine there's so many interested parties the whole place must be stitched together piecemeal. I'd want to get rid of the bloody student flats for a start, and I can't imagine that would be realistic.

Brand new stadium on the other side of the canal sounds best. Has anyone been to Saint Mirren's new park? Better or worse than good old Love Street?

That early 90's design for Firhill is nice but I wonder if these days of depression the office buildings would stand empty and unused.

If I was to win big money on the lottery one weekend would it be even feasible to do anything with Firhill these days?

I don't fully understand the PropCo deal but I imagine there's so many interested parties the whole place must be stitched together piecemeal. I'd want to get rid of the bloody student flats for a start, and I can't imagine that would be realistic.

Brand new stadium on the other side of the canal sounds best. Has anyone been to Saint Mirren's new park? Better or worse than good old Love Street?

St Mirren Park is worse than Love Street. Totally devoid of atmosphere in my experience.

St Mirren Park is worse than Love Street. Totally devoid of atmosphere in my experience.

I'm sure that's true: 4 lego stands with big gaps at the corners doesn't make for any kind of atmosphere other than a morgue-like one.

Almondvale could have been a superb little stadium, if the numpties had given it a roof that covered all of the seats, rather than just about half of the rows. I'd actually be quite happy to see a "New Firhill" along those lines.

If we are to move ground, which i think might not be too bad an idea i would love to see us move to partick right on the banks of the clyde next to the new transport musuem. Possibly bring some new fans from that area and surrounding plus there has always been big jags support in surrounding areas (whiteinch).

also would like to see the ground based on st mirrens new ground nothing too big max capacity about 8,000 but instead of seats behind one goal have a terraced stand with a roof for home fans which could become the new shed and would give us the option of either standing or sitting. Its only the spl you cant used standing and not sure if were going to be getting there in the next few years.

If we are to move ground, which i think might not be too bad an idea i would love to see us move to partick right on the banks of the clyde next to the new transport musuem. Possibly bring some new fans from that area and surrounding plus there has always been big jags support in surrounding areas (whiteinch).

also would like to see the ground based on st mirrens new ground nothing too big max capacity about 8,000 but instead of seats behind one goal have a terraced stand with a roof for home fans which could become the new shed and would give us the option of either standing or sitting. Its only the spl you cant used standing and not sure if were going to be getting there in the next few years.

All sounds good apart from the last bit. This time next year we'll be preparing for the return to the SPL in 2012-2013.