Paul Paton

Willjag

• Members

Briefly mentioned by Jaggernaut on the Archie thread but worth one on it's own in my view, but it's encouraging to see Paul is hoping to get a new offer from the Jags as he wants to stay with the Club.

I hope we can put something together for him.

He's had his critics but I reckon he's been one of the best players this season and has made a vast improvement on previous seasons which has only been overshadowed by the transformation on the other side of Paddy Boyle into a decent football player. He puts in a power of work and I was shattered just watching him away at Raith a few weeks back and he never stopped running despite the Evening Times article today saying he's been in a lot of pain even with the injections. There's a real lack of quality fullbacks at this level and I don't think Robertson is the answer there week in week out even if he's had a couple of good performances at Queens and Stirling.

I'd be delighted if Paton signed a new deal.

He's had his critics but I reckon he's been one of the best players this season and has made a vast improvement on previous seasons which has only been overshadowed by the transformation on the other side of Paddy Boyle into a decent football player. He puts in a power of work and I was shattered just watching him away at Raith a few weeks back and he never stopped running despite the Evening Times article today saying he's been in a lot of pain even with the injections. There's a real lack of quality fullbacks at this level and I don't think Robertson is the answer there week in week out even if he's had a couple of good performances at Queens and Stirling.

I'd be delighted if Paton signed a new deal.

what he said with bells on :thumbsup2:

Likewise, I would be over-the-moon if Paton re-signed. I had my doubts and feared we had seen the last of him, what with his injury, but it's good to hear he wants to stay.

However, I won't get my hopes up just yet. Jamie Mitchell had no intention of leaving Clyde, and said as much to the papers, and next thing you know, he's a Thistle player. Cynical, I know, but I wonder if he would be announcing this if he wasn't injured...

As every team in the league is going to have to cut its wage bill next season, as in the Archie thread, a reduced wage is a reality if you are out of contract, unless you are willing to take the chance of holding out and going on trial in pre-season.

Would be glad to see Paul, Paddy, Archie and Rowser all stay but I am sure it all depends on juggling a really tight budget. Plenty of other players in a similar position as well so alot of competition for a few full time jobs.

He has had his best season all round for us this season.

Likewise, I would be over-the-moon if Paton re-signed. I had my doubts and feared we had seen the last of him, what with his injury, but it's good to hear he wants to stay.

However, I won't get my hopes up just yet. Jamie Mitchell had no intention of leaving Clyde, and said as much to the papers, and next thing you know, he's a Thistle player. Cynical, I know, but I wonder if he would be announcing this if he wasn't injured...

With no date confirmed as yet, for his op. I wouldn't expect any further news on this for quite some time.

We shouldn't be signing him up for next season until the results are back, he has recovered from the op and began full training again.

With a minimum recovery time of 8 weeks (maximum 6 months) and no set date for the op, you're looking at mid June before he even begins any light training, I would suggest if any contract is signed before July, McCall is taking a huge gamble, a gamble his budget may not afford.

Thats not to say that his agent will not be discussing contracts in the next 8 weeks. I would imagine a contract will be offered, discussed, debated... Depending on the success of his recovery will determine if it actually is officially "offered".

All that said, good luck on a speedy recovery.

I'd like to see Paton stay. The defensive side of his game has improved and his stamina is never in question, which makes him a suitable wingback even if he doesn't hit the byeline as much as Boyle.

His injury may curtail a re-signing. We've already got one player, Cairney, with worrying fitness and we just don't have the latitude within the budget to gamble on the fitness of two players.

Hopefully things will be a bit clearer nearer the end of the season.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As every team in the league is going to have to cut its wage bill next season, as in the Archie thread, a reduced wage is a reality if you are out of contract, unless you are willing to take the chance of holding out and going on trial in pre-season.

Would be glad to see Paul, Paddy, Archie and Rowser all stay but I am sure it all depends on juggling a really tight budget. Plenty of other players in a similar position as well so alot of competition for a few full time jobs.

He has had his best season all round for us this season.

Agreed. He even got past somebody on the outside in one recent game!

If it comes to pass that Paton does leave, I think McGeough could do a relatively decent job at full back. There is, however, a decent right back at Ayr which I've got a hunch McCall has his eye on, Jonathan Tiffoney. Not sure of his contract situation but he was pretty impressive in Ayr's cup game with Hibs. From what I've heard, he is liable to the odd mistake but certainly has potential. Perhaps he has caught the eye when we've been monitoring Bannigan. Just a thought.

There is, however, a decent right back at Ayr which I've got a hunch McCall has his eye on, Jonathan Tiffoney. Not sure of his contract situation but he was pretty impressive in Ayr's cup game with Hibs. From what I've heard, he is liable to the odd mistake but certainly has potential. Perhaps he has caught the eye when we've been monitoring Bannigan. Just a thought.

I was impressed with Tiffoney in the cup tie with St Mirren.

St Mirren fans were going off their nut at a change that Lennon made but I felt it was made with the view to stop Tiffoney getting forward from his full back position.

If it comes to pass that Paton does leave, I think McGeough could do a relatively decent job at full back. There is, however, a decent right back at Ayr which I've got a hunch McCall has his eye on, Jonathan Tiffoney. Not sure of his contract situation but he was pretty impressive in Ayr's cup game with Hibs. From what I've heard, he is liable to the odd mistake but certainly has potential. Perhaps he has caught the eye when we've been monitoring Bannigan. Just a thought.

While keeping an eye on how Bannigan has been doing, I got the impression Tiffoney played a bit further up the park and Lauchlan was their regular right back.

Is Tiffoney maybe a wingback?

While keeping an eye on how Bannigan has been doing, I got the impression Tiffoney played a bit further up the park and Lauchlan was their regular right back.

Is Tiffoney maybe a wingback?

Yeah, you're kind of right. He started off as a right midfielder, I believe, but has played a number of games at right back. I'm not sure whether Ayr occasionally play a 3-5-2 but, if they do, he would have most likely played as the wing-back. I think since Lauchlan signed in January, there has been some rotation but, last night for example, Tiffoney played at right back (I think).

Really hope we give Paton a new deal. People suggesting Robbo should be kept instead are off their heads.

Robbo will be 36. I know he's a fit guy but he can't be expected to go bombing up and down the wing the way Paton & Boyle have this season.

Really hope we give Paton a new deal. People suggesting Robbo should be kept instead are off their heads.

Robbo will be 36. I know he's a fit guy but he can't be expected to go bombing up and down the wing the way Paton & Boyle have this season.

Not that he should be kept instead, but for what we can afford Robbo is about as good as we can expect to get I would say, (that's not to say he's not a good player, he is a very good player). Still as fit as anything, versatile, I hope he stays.

Splitting hairs, he turned 35 2 days ago. Age doesn't come into it when he's still playing well & fit, for me.

Edited by 1 John Lambie