Saturday's Programme

Fawlty Towers

Some interesting looking topics in the programme for Saturday:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2010-2011/march_2011/saturdays_programme_v_queen_of_the_south_02_04_11

Did anyone see the reports over the weekend that the SPL teams are looking to ditch matchday programmes in favour of a centralised magazine? For me getting my programme is part of the matchday experience and I can feel that I am helping the club to a small extent financially (as well as getting a good read).

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2010-2011/march_2011/saturdays_programme_v_queen_of_the_south_02_04_11

Did anyone see the reports over the weekend that the SPL teams are looking to ditch matchday programmes in favour of a centralised magazine? For me getting my programme is part of the matchday experience and I can feel that I am helping the club to a small extent financially (as well as getting a good read).

Yeuch!

Thanks, as always, for the plug and kind words.

I didn't see those reports. My first reaction is "Aw naw", but actually it might not be such a bad idea, if it meant greater overall sponsorship to be dealt out equally between clubs, less repetitiveness of features, and maybe a window of opportunity for the re-emergence of true "fanzines".

:thinking:

I didn't see those reports. My first reaction is "Aw naw", but actually it might not be such a bad idea, if it meant greater overall sponsorship to be dealt out equally between clubs, less repetitiveness of features, and maybe a window of opportunity for the re-emergence of true "fanzines".

:thinking:

If all you suggest came true, yes, but what's the betting as in everything else the bulk of the money would go to the Old inFirm.

I always buy a programme and if that story about centralised SPL magazines are true I'd be very disappointed (well, if we were playing in the SPL that is). I like to have a programme from every game I've been to, even though I never read them until the next day normally, if I read them at all.

If all you suggest came true, yes, but what's the betting as in everything else the bulk of the money would go to the Old inFirm.

Not to mention 20 of the 24 pages.

:D

Actually, I had my 1st division hat on when thinking about it. If it came to pass, I wonder how the proceeds would be distributed: according to the numbers sold each week? A straight 12-way split?

This needs further thought, with a glass of wine....

Terrible idea ! I also like to keep all the programs of games I've been to, sad to admit but I brought boxes of old programs out to Australia, mainly so when I disappear to the garage to pretend to do some DIY I can sit and read all about the 0-0 draw with Morton in 1978 (possibly).

As mentioned elsewhere this centralised format will be dominated by the ugly sisters and you'd be as well buying the Daily Ranger! As for sharing out the sponsorship I am sure one of the dynamic duo would pitch in with since they account for most stories they should get the biggest share!

Thank goodness its not a proposal for the First Division, even if I don't get to the games myself I would hate to think of the pleasure being denied to current supporters in their dotage!

Eh, today's date got anything to do with this story?!

I remember back in the '70's we had a great programme and the centre section was like a weekly mag (mostly English stuff).

If the new setup was like our own programme with a general section devoted to the league in general it might work.

Seems everyone is getting mixed up. Is it not just the case that they are standardising the programme. In other words. Every teams programme will look the same, as it will be made at the same printers, but will still remain specific to their own team?

MLS has/had a magazine freebie called Free Kick. It wasn't bad but the content was a bit robbing Peter to pay Paul. I suspect any matchday magazine would be an advertising-driven freebie. If that's the case I might ask for it as a PDF through email because I wouldn't be inclined to pick one up.

Advertisers would dictate content and we all know who drives the drivel we see on the sports pages, don't we? :sleep1:

Would it benefit Thistle? I doubt it very much. I'll stick with reading the Saturday Firhill grump bible, thank you. Feel free to offer me both, I doubt I'll want to read a week-old Celtic interview if it's all the same to you, Mr Doncasterisaster. :smartass:

The programme of the year awards are out and our programme is rated as the third best in the first division! Well done to Tom, Kenny and all of the contributors (as well as all of the people who sell them on matchdays and often miss part of the match counting the money) :thumbsup2:

There is also a bit in the article about what the SPL teams are looking at doing in relation to matchday programmes.

http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/scottish-programme-of-the-year-awards-201011/

The programme of the year awards are out and our programme is rated as the third best in the first division! Well done to Tom, Kenny and all of the contributors (as well as all of the people who sell them on matchdays and often miss part of the match counting the money) :thumbsup2:

There is also a bit in the article about what the SPL teams are looking at doing in relation to matchday programmes.

http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/scottish-programme-of-the-year-awards-201011/

A good read, that.