Mixed News On The Contract Offers

lennythistle

If we are looking to sign new players permanently, we will probably have to find them in the lower leagues or Juniors. I must admit to being sceptical when we signed Doolan and Erskine. If the SPL or English clubs release good prospects for financial reasons, we could get a bargain. Our squad (14) for next season is currently

Fox

Scully

Kinniburgh

Stevenson

Ketterer

Cairney

Campbell

Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan

Grehan

Fraser

McGrotty

Burns

Only 5 have played regularly for the first team! The following (15) are out of contract in May

Halliwell (to be released)

Hinchcliffe

Shepherd (released)

Paton (offered new deal)

Balatoni (end of loan)

Robertson

Archibald

Maxwell

Boyle (declined new deal)

McGeough

Flannigan

Rowson

McNamara

McBeth

Donnelly

Maxwell and Hinchcliffe should be retained as player coaches. McCall has said that he wants to keep Archie and Rowson. Hopefully, Paton and Boyle will re-sign. If we can't afford to keep or lose the senior players, McCall will have a tough job to build a competitive squad for next season.

Not sure I agree. Why should he have any loyalty to us?

McCall & every single fan was for dumping him on the scrapheap last summer. His confidence was nowhere & the fans didnt exactly wholeheartedly get behind & cheer him on - he was scapegoat No.1. He fought back, won his place & has performed consistantly well. He owes us nothing.

Fair play to him - he's done well & has rebuilt his career. Personally I think he should be applauded for coming back & getting it right up McCall & the Thistle fans.

A footballers career isnt lucrative in the first division so I would be disappointed to see us to stop playing a guy & limiting his income because he wont commit his future to us when 9 months ago he would have been shipped off to anyone 'crazy' enough to pay his wages.

If he signs for Dundee though...

Completely agree with this post, bang on the money. It's one thing if we find a player from nowhere, give him a platform that allows him to gradually improve, and then he leaves for nothing at the first opportunity, although even then I understand the argument about a short career and not much money in the first place and would still defend the player's right to do this. But as you say, every one of us would have swapped him for just about any other left back in Scotland last summer, never mind the abuse he took at Firhill. Good luck to him if he gets a better deal for himself, he will have shown real character to turn his career around, and he would deserve it.

I would also take Twaddle back instantly, although I doubt this will happen for financial reasons.

If we are looking to sign new players permanently, we will probably have to find them in the lower leagues or Juniors. I must admit to being sceptical when we signed Doolan and Erskine. If the SPL or English clubs release good prospects for financial reasons, we could get a bargain. Our squad (14) for next season is currently

Fox

Scully

Kinniburgh

Stevenson

Ketterer

Cairney

Campbell

Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan

Grehan

Fraser

McGrotty

Burns

Only 5 have played regularly for the first team! The following (15) are out of contract in May

Halliwell (to be released)

Hinchcliffe

Shepherd (released)

Paton (offered new deal)

Balatoni (end of loan)

Robertson

Archibald

Maxwell

Boyle (declined new deal)

McGeough

Flannigan

Rowson

McNamara

McBeth

Donnelly

Maxwell and Hinchcliffe should be retained as player coaches. McCall has said that he wants to keep Archie and Rowson. Hopefully, Paton and Boyle will re-sign. If we can't afford to keep or lose the senior players, McCall will have a tough job to build a competitive squad for next season.

to be fair Kni most said this season we would not be competative. Yeah it was a bad start but we have been one of the most consistant sides in the league for a few months now. Same old problem though and one we must try to address, we need to score more goals.

to be fair Kni most said this season we would not be competative. Yeah it was a bad start but we have been one of the most consistant sides in the league for a few months now. Same old problem though and one we must try to address, we need to score more goals.

The improvement started when Fox replaced Halliwell. Our away form was dreadful but we have only conceded 8 league goals at home. We have dropped too many points to the Binos and Blue Brazil. Goals are a problem but a 5-3-2 formation limits support for the strikers from midfield and does not suit Erskine (better in 4-4-2). Buchanan left as his form improved and he scored again today. We need to find a predator to partner Doolan but that easier said than done on our budget.

The improvement started when Fox replaced Halliwell. Our away form was dreadful but we have only conceded 8 league goals at home. We have dropped too many points to the Binos and Blue Brazil. Goals are a problem but a 5-3-2 formation limits support for the strikers from midfield and does not suit Erskine (better in 4-4-2). Buchanan left as his form improved and he scored again today. We need to find a predator to partner Doolan but that easier said than done on our budget.

Hey add Morton to that as well. We used to own them but its five games (i think) now against them without scoring. 3 games this season have been shocking. For some reason we have struggled for a few seasons now against the sides at the bottom of the league. The first two against Stirling yeah were bad, but after the shambles at forth bank, we have beaten them convincingly 3 times. for one reason or another we have really struggled with cowdenbeath this season.

Two seasons ago we couldn't buy a result away from home until the new year then we couldn't stop winning but the home form went down the pan. Last season we were free flowing and scoring for fun, then at the new year the wheels came off and we couldn't buy a goal for the rest of the season. At the start of the season a lot had us for relegation. I'd say we are doing better than a lot on here predicted we would be but if we had got off to a much better start we could have been challenging or at very worst comfortable in 3rd spot.

I don't see the team these days , so i have to form my views based on what i read on here and on the OS. It does seem we have a chance to mount a challenge next season but keeping 4 or 5 of the current squad and adding 2 or 3 to it is going to be vital. I'm not convinced we have the finances to do that but i hope we can find a way.

Clearly some in the squad are playing for their places. Sure McCall will have made his mind up on some , others may have a month to win a contract.

More on Boyle: In my opinion he should now be dropped from the team. He's not interested in playing for us, we have a natural left back in Archie, and between now and the end of the season is the perfect time to give some of the youngsters experience.

Going by today's performance, his heart is still very much in it. There's a good chance he's still being watched by scouts & really has to give 100% to get the move he (may) desire.

I don't see why we should pay appearance and win bonuses to somebody who is now clearly only playing to find himself a better deal with one of our rival teams for next season.

We don't.

If what I've been told is true, I reckon there is a good chance Paddy will re-sign should we make him another offer. For me, he was probably the man of the match on Saturday and significantly outshone Bob Harris, a player who is generally considered the best left back in the division. I think that puts to bed any doubts some people may have had about him perhaps not bothering his arse. He deserves a good deal (well, as good as we can give him) after his performances this year. People have been suggesting he is easily replaceable; I would beg to differ. Good left sided players are still hard to come by at our level; you only have to look at St Johnstone who couldn't get a decent left back for about two seasons and were always sniffing about Twads.

I hope the deal Paton has been offered isn't along the same lines as Paddy's or else he'll be offski without any doubt.

If what I've been told is true, I reckon there is a good chance Paddy will re-sign should we make him another offer. For me, he was probably the man of the match on Saturday and significantly outshone Bob Harris, a player who is generally considered the best left back in the division. I think that puts to bed any doubts some people may have had about him perhaps not bothering his arse. He deserves a good deal (well, as good as we can give him) after his performances this year. People have been suggesting he is easily replaceable; I would beg to differ. Good left sided players are still hard to come by at our level; you only have to look at St Johnstone who couldn't get a decent left back for about two seasons and were always sniffing about Twads.

I hope the deal Paton has been offered isn't along the same lines as Paddy's or else he'll be offski without any doubt.

Hope this turns out to be true and you are right he is a lad who deserves as good an offer as we can make him.

With Fox in goals and Doolan signed. If we could keep Boyle and Paton, get Hardie and a stiker in I reckon we could have a right good crack at the title next season no matter who our opponents in the divison strengthen with

The one that wasn't bothering his arse was Harris. Nice comfortable slot as a centreback alongside two robust central defenders. I got the impression that Mr Harris will not be likely to be getting seriously injured while he sees out his last few games with Queens.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle becomes as good a player as Harris was a season or so ago. He's certainly showing more commitment.

The thing I've liked about Boyle this season is the fact that he's weighed in with a few goals, possibly more than any of midfielders?

Kris Doolan 14

Liam Buchanan 5

Chris Erskine 5

Paddy Boyle 4

Iain Flannigan 4

Paul Cairney 2

Simon Donnelly 2

Shaun Fraser 2

Martin Grehan 2

Conrad Balatoni 1

Jamie Campbell 1

Bryan Hodge 1

Willie Kinniburgh 1

Ryan MacBeth 1

Paul Paton 1

David Rowson 1

Edited by Mr Bunny

Kris Doolan 14

Liam Buchanan 5

Chris Erskine 5

Paddy Boyle 4

Iain Flannigan 4

Paul Cairney 2

Simon Donnelly 2

Shaun Fraser 2

Martin Grehan 2

Conrad Balatoni 1

Jamie Campbell 1

Bryan Hodge 1

Willie Kinniburgh 1

Ryan MacBeth 1

Paul Paton 1

David Rowson 1

When you see that in black & white it doesn't half tell a story. That's sixteen goalscorers in all. Dismiss Paton, Kinniburgh & Balatoni as goalscoring is not their priority. Forget about MacBeth, Fraser & Campbell as novices and that leaves ten players.

Of that list of ten I'd say as a forward Doolan's 14 goals is more than decent and similarly Erskine, only occasionally started as a forward can be happy with five. Of the midfield Flannigan's four is acceptable but Cairney, Hodge and Rowson with four between them is woeful. Similarily woeful are Buchanan's six month return of five and two goals apiece for the two other front line players (Grehan & Donnelly) just as abysmal.

Boyle, a player with little priority as a goalscorer, could easily end up our PotY even if he'd never scored a goal. So of the ten I make it only three players that can be satisfied with their goalscoring this season (Doolan, Erkine & Boyle), one maybe reasonably pleased (Flannigan). Forget about Buchanan and that leaves five players (Grehan, Donnelly, Hodge, Rowson & Cairney) with a measly total of EIGHT goals between them.

The case for the prosecution rests, M'Lud.