Mixed News On The Contract Offers

lennythistle

I see the two youngsters signed their new contracts, Paton is thinking his over but Boyle has knocked his back.

Really wanted to see both full backs resigned so sad to hear Paddy looks likely to be going elsewhere.

Agree with you pretty disappointing that it looks like Paddy wont be staying. I just hope if he goes its not to someone like Dundee or Morton that would really be an absolute sickener

Agree with you pretty disappointing that it looks like Paddy wont be staying. I just hope if he goes its not to someone like Dundee or Morton that would really be an absolute sickener

McCall said we can't compete with the clubs showing an interest...I would assume this means he's SPL bound. Bit of a gutter, easy in hindsight but he should have been offered a new contract before christmas.

On one hand the club told Boyle he could leave last summer so perhaps he doesn't feel the need for any loyalty to a club who wouldn't be loyal to him. On the other hand he'd have been finding a new club in the 2nd or 3rd division at best if he wasn't playing (and massively improving) this season. A bit gutted to be honest, there's not exactly loads of very good full backs at this level and I felt that in Boyle and Paton McCall had 2 of the best available.

Falkirk fans on P&B seem to reckon Twaddle could be on his way in the summer. Another return to a former club for him? :thinking:

Falkirk fans on P&B seem to reckon Twaddle could be on his way in the summer. Another return to a former club for him? :thinking:

I was thinking that.

Queens Park have a decent left back, Darryl Meggatt, but he's still pretty raw and could do with another year, I think. St Johnstone were sniffing about Montrose's left back, Aaron Sinclair, last year but I'm not sure if anything came of it; think he might have trained with them.

However, IF Paddy leaves, I'd quite like to see a guy who I've been a big fan of for a good few years - Ross Forsyth. Not getting any younger, and probably not had the best of season's at Stirling, but he's been a solid player for a while now.

I'm disappointed to be losing Boyle. He's by far the most improved player at Firhill this season and I can see him going on to improve further. Good left-sided players are hard to come by so hopefully McCall can pull something out the bag and find a worthy replacement.

I also expect Paton to reject what's on offer and move on.

Does Eddie Malone not play at left back? Dundee fans were not exactly over the moon that Chisholm released him and he seems to have done well at Ayr United.

Think Malone is rated more these days as a left sided centreback. Certainly wouldn't be the type of signing that would have folk rushing to renew their season tickets. Honest enough player who could be a decent enough addition to the squad but I doubt he's good enough to play week in week out in our division at left back.

Why?

He seems to be playing fairly regularly. Were they also not paying us in £20k instalments over 3 years. Im sure they wouldnt release him before he was fully paid up!

Why?

He seems to be playing fairly regularly. Were they also not paying us in £20k instalments over 3 years. Im sure they wouldnt release him before he was fully paid up!

It would, I presume, mean we didn't get the last £20k. Will never happen anyway, unless he takes a big reduction in wages. Some Falkirk players are on crazy money. Burton O'Brien £3k per week being one of them!

Falkirk have managed somehow to increase their fanbase by around 2000+ as a result of their stint in the SPL. I remember 01/02 when they were gettin 1800-2000.

Yes, at the moment they seem to be doing "alright" in terms of crowds for a team with a dreaded, lego-kit out-of-town stadium. I wonder if it'll hold up if they fail to be challenging for promotion next season, though. If we beat them once or twice in the next couple of weeks and thereby end their hopes for this season, I expect a big decrease for their remaining games.

More on Boyle: In my opinion he should now be dropped from the team. He's not interested in playing for us, we have a natural left back in Archie, and between now and the end of the season is the perfect time to give some of the youngsters experience.

I don't see why we should pay appearance and win bonuses to somebody who is now clearly only playing to find himself a better deal with one of our rival teams for next season.

More on Boyle: In my opinion he should now be dropped from the team. He's not interested in playing for us, we have a natural left back in Archie, and between now and the end of the season is the perfect time to give some of the youngsters experience.

I don't see why we should pay appearance and win bonuses to somebody who is now clearly only playing to find himself a better deal with one of our rival teams for next season.

Not sure I agree. Why should he have any loyalty to us?

McCall & every single fan was for dumping him on the scrapheap last summer. His confidence was nowhere & the fans didnt exactly wholeheartedly get behind & cheer him on - he was scapegoat No.1. He fought back, won his place & has performed consistantly well. He owes us nothing.

Fair play to him - he's done well & has rebuilt his career. Personally I think he should be applauded for coming back & getting it right up McCall & the Thistle fans.

A footballers career isnt lucrative in the first division so I would be disappointed to see us to stop playing a guy & limiting his income because he wont commit his future to us when 9 months ago he would have been shipped off to anyone 'crazy' enough to pay his wages.

If he signs for Dundee though...

Not sure I agree. Why should he have any loyalty to us?

McCall & every single fan was for dumping him on the scrapheap last summer. His confidence was nowhere & the fans didnt exactly wholeheartedly get behind & cheer him on - he was scapegoat No.1. He fought back, won his place & has performed consistantly well. He owes us nothing.

Fair play to him - he's done well & has rebuilt his career. Personally I think he should be applauded for coming back & getting it right up McCall & the Thistle fans.

A footballers career isnt lucrative in the first division so I would be disappointed to see us to stop playing a guy & limiting his income because he wont commit his future to us when 9 months ago he would have been shipped off to anyone 'crazy' enough to pay his wages.

If he signs for Dundee though...

I agree with 95% of what you say. Correct, there is very little loyalty. We gave him a job in the first place, then were going to dump him, then he improved, now he's going to dump us..... Fair enough...,

so let's applaud him and dump him now!

It does seem to me that many of us fans seem to expect that players like Paddy Boyle share the same feelings about our club as we do, but it's not at all fair to expect that. We saw this with Jonny Tuffy, too - as soon as it was known he'd be going, there was massive grumbling on here. These young men don't get paid much at all, and if they're to make use of the very limited time they have for a football career, then they have to take all the opportunities offered to them - and good luck to them.

Boyle may be looking for a better offer from us. We don't know what the offer was and should not criticise his judgement. Dropping him would ensure his departure. Remember that Archie has not signed for next season and could be on his way too.

It does seem to me that many of us fans seem to expect that players like Paddy Boyle share the same feelings about our club as we do, but it's not at all fair to expect that. We saw this with Jonny Tuffy, too - as soon as it was known he'd be going, there was massive grumbling on here. These young men don't get paid much at all, and if they're to make use of the very limited time they have for a football career, then they have to take all the opportunities offered to them - and good luck to them.

Agree totally. Boyle took a lot of flak last season but had the bottle to prove us wrong this season. If a bigger club has made a better offer, he would be crazy to turn it down. He could improve with better coaching at a bigger club. I hope Boyle stays but will wish him well if he moves on to a higher level.

Boyle may be looking for a better offer from us. We don't know what the offer was and should not criticise his judgement. Dropping him would ensure his departure.

Completely agree.

No point in demanding he should be dropped as we know nothing about the offer. Maybe he wasn't offered a fair deal which reflected his form this season and his ability.

His turn around this season has been great and refreshing to see at the Club. He'll still have my full backing until the end of the season because he deserves it.

Boyle may be looking for a better offer from us. We don't know what the offer was and should not criticise his judgement. Dropping him would ensure his departure. Remember that Archie has not signed for next season and could be on his way too.

If we were to drop him, which i most certainly hope we don't do nor do i think we will do, i can see our form dropping considerably between now and the end of the season.

Paddy fought back superbly after a hugely disappointing first season. As pointed out elsewhere, a footballers carear is short. Given the financial climate just now, everyone has to look after themselves and family and get the best deals for them that they can.

Hope whatever boyle decides to do, he doesn't make the same mistakes as Tuffey. It's all gone badly wrong for him.

If we were to drop him, which i most certainly hope we don't do nor do i think we will do, i can see our form dropping considerably between now and the end of the season.

Paddy fought back superbly after a hugely disappointing first season. As pointed out elsewhere, a footballers carear is short. Given the financial climate just now, everyone has to look after themselves and family and get the best deals for them that they can.

Hope whatever boyle decides to do, he doesn't make the same mistakes as Tuffey. It's all gone badly wrong for him.

Tuffey signed a 2 year deal so he will probably spend next season on the bench too. Signing for Inverness has killed his international career and he needs to find first-team football. We should not be too smug as we were very lucky to get Scott Fox.

Edited by kni

Think Malone is rated more these days as a left sided centreback. Certainly wouldn't be the type of signing that would have folk rushing to renew their season tickets. Honest enough player who could be a decent enough addition to the squad but I doubt he's good enough to play week in week out in our division at left back.

To be fair you could have said the same at the time when we signed the likes of Chris Erskine, quite a few including myself probably thought come on this is a guy from the Juniors not a huge signing. Last year mind you we barely signed anyone apart from Halliwell and Flannagan so hopefully be a few more