Hit It!

angry gaz

I was watching a utube compilation of Kenny Dalgleish goals and what struck me was how early and quickly he struck his shots for a goal.When you watch TV highlights look at how many goals are first time instant shots without any thought of "is there an option".It seems to me that good strikers shoot at the first and earliest opportunity.

Why is it that a shot at goal for our strikers seems to be somtimes the last option they can think of and on top of that when they do shoot it often a side foot or an unconvincing slap at the ball.Liam Buchanan used to hit the ball at goal every chance he had and had a great scoring record before injury, Marko too.It's unbelivable how often at Firhill you hear the crowd shout "shoot,hit it" and it's followed by a sideways pass or useless layoff.Don't know if it's down to confidence or lack of coaching but it doesn't strike me as Rocket science that if you shoot more at the target you'll score more goals.

So Thistle forwards, you're called Strikers for a reason...........For God's sake shoot!!!

It's been like that throughout McCall's time at the club, you just dont see us hitting snap shots from outside the box. If you watch the Football League show you'll see League 2 clubs in England banging them in from all over the park, if they can do it so can we.

Ha. Didn't read this thread until after I had posted in McCall to Killie thread.

Agree with what AngryGaz and Uberslim have said, and will simply paste what I said in my last part of that post here, because it pretty much covers it for my thoughts and contribution to this thread.

Ian, if you are reading - get your finger out, teach, or get someone in to coach the players how to be effective in the opposition half - you know these basic things like pace, attacking, shooting (on target and with power as well as craft), how to retain possession, pass effectively, and ultimately create chances from set pieces and breaks forward, that turn into goals on a regular basis.

Thanks.

This has been a Thistle trait for years. If you don't shoot you don't score, so let's get firing some in eh? I'm sick to the back teeth of watching try to walk the ball into the box and getting nowhere.

This. We only occasionally get players who will hit the ball at any opportunity. It's been a failing of ours for I don't know how long. McCall can maybe take a little bit of blame for not sorting it out but it wasn't him that caused it.

Also we always seem to have been a short-passing side - sometimes we're very bad at it but it seems to be our default style (except when under pressure when we become a boot it anywhere side). Because we rarely have any pace in our team, we pass too slow so often end up footering about without getting anywhere.

BTW I'd like us to be a passing team but it needs to be quicker (and more accurate - stop playing the ball behind players) to be effective.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Impossible to be a passing team on the current surface unfortunately Mr Bunny. I suspect we might see Thistle playing better away from home for the remainder of the season rather than at home on the tattie field.

I was thinking that myself. Maybe we should try to make some spare cash for the club by growing potatoes and othr veg on it. Would the players notice the difference if we did?

I was thinking that myself. Maybe we should try to make some spare cash for the club by growing potatoes and othr veg on it.

An excellent idea :thumbsup2: . At the end of each season we could always take stock of the situation.

Carrots Mr Bunny???

We could feed them to the players and then play our midweek re-arranged games without floodlights therefore gaining an advantage on our opponents! A cunning plan AlgarveJag.

:thinking: Ah, but if the fans can't see the game not many would turnip.