Swansea Are Promoted To The Premier League

kni

why would it? :thinking:

Because Swansea is a Welsh team and their promotion breaks the English monopoly on the EPL. The last thing that the FA and SFA wanted was a Welsh team in the EPL. There are only a few English clubs that are bigger than the Ugly Sisters.

Their turnover would be huge in the EPL - home gates of 50k plus, increased ticket and hospitality box prices, the massive television revenues plus more advertising, sponsorship and merchandise sales.

The only clubs that would be bigger would Man Utd, Man City (dependent on Arab money), Chelsea (dependent on Abramovic's money), Arsenal and possibly Liverpool. They could afford top managers and players to enable them to compete in Europe - even more money.

Do you honestly think that Craig Whyte and his backers and investing in the SPL? No way! They can see the massive returns from getting into the EPL.

Do you honestly think that Craig Whyte and his backers and investing in the SPL? No way! They can see the massive returns from getting into the EPL.

If the OF ever does leave the SPL, you'd figure the two Champions League qualifying bids go with them. Do you think anything would change with the Europa League bids?

An excellent contribution from Stephen Dobbie before being mysteriously 'hooked' by the manager. He had just produced a dire attempt on goal but was always a big threat to Reading and I bet they were glad to see the back of him.

With Scotland not exactly being over blessed in the striker department, surely even a balloon like Levein will soon give Dobbie a break.

Because Swansea is a Welsh team and their promotion breaks the English monopoly on the EPL. The last thing that the FA and SFA wanted was a Welsh team in the EPL. There are only a few English clubs that are bigger than the Ugly Sisters.

Their turnover would be huge in the EPL - home gates of 50k plus, increased ticket and hospitality box prices, the massive television revenues plus more advertising, sponsorship and merchandise sales.

The only clubs that would be bigger would Man Utd, Man City (dependent on Arab money), Chelsea (dependent on Abramovic's money), Arsenal and possibly Liverpool. They could afford top managers and players to enable them to compete in Europe - even more money.

but Swansea & Cardiff have always been English league teams so I don't get your logic. It's no different than Blackpool last season

Swansea getting promoted will not make one iota difference. I fail to see why the SFA wouldn't want that to happen.

Swansea are part of the English set-up alongside Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr. They resisted attempts by the Welsh FA to include them in the emerging Welsh League when it was revamped a few years ago. It means that they cannot compete in the Welsh Cup, and hence not play in Europe if they won it, which was the usual route into europe. There is a tie-up between Thistle and Swansea fans - I am a fan of both teams, and Swansea also have a strong link with ADO Den Haag, and there were about 400 Dutch fans at Wembley yesterday. The word is that promotion will be worth £90 million to the Swans, money that Thistle can only dream about.

Taffthejag

Swansea getting promoted will not make one iota difference. I fail to see why the SFA wouldn't want that to happen.

I can see your point but have to disagree. If Swansea can establish themselves in the EPL, the OF will be jealous, even more so if Cardiff join them. It is possible that two South Wales clubs will be playing in the EPL in the near future. Think of the effect of £90 million (that's the minimum amount, probably much more) on the finances of the OF.

There would be even more money if they did well in the FA Cup - more television money, 50% of the huge gate if they draw a big club home or away. The financial gains would far exceed the loss of European money from qualifying in Scotland. The biggest barrier to the OF going to England would be EPL clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Villa who would not want bigger clubs to challenge them.

The biggest barrier to the OF going to England would be EPL clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Villa who would not want bigger clubs to challenge them.

The barriers aren't limited to that though. Clubs all the way down the FA pyramids would be bumped down a couple of places, so teams flirting with relegation wouldn't be happy. Particularly since the clubs the league would be making way for have terrible reputations in England, i.e. Rangers in Manchester. This might have only been Rangers fans, however the English will view this as what fans of Scottish clubs act like. Do they want letter bombs etc being sent to the doorstep(s) of clubs under their jurisdiction?

was it swansea fans who always used to have a thistle flag at their games in the old terracing or am I imagining it? there was old footage of a swansea game im sure and you could see the old thistle badge hanging up in the stand.

Yeah, the infamous “Jacks Jags” banner, you sometimes see it on the football league show and it makes an appearance at a Thistle game now and again when the Swansea crowd come up. Decent bunch and handy if you are in the market for lucky heather or pegs ;)

Swansea are part of the English set-up alongside Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr. They resisted attempts by the Welsh FA to include them in the emerging Welsh League when it was revamped a few years ago. It means that they cannot compete in the Welsh Cup, and hence not play in Europe if they won it, which was the usual route into europe. There is a tie-up between Thistle and Swansea fans - I am a fan of both teams, and Swansea also have a strong link with ADO Den Haag, and there were about 400 Dutch fans at Wembley yesterday. The word is that promotion will be worth £90 million to the Swans, money that Thistle can only dream about.

Taffthejag

Is that you Mike?

Den Haag :lol:

And to whoever said both Cardiff and Swansea could be in the Prem in a couple of years. The Swans will sink like a stone next year and Cardiff have just punted their manager and all of their good players have gone/are going and all the loanees (a ridiculously high percentage of the first team squad) will be away as well. It basically leaves Super Kev and Chunky Chopra. Rebuilding for City for the next few years.

Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious! :detective:

No probs Kni.

Took a while but seems you have now seen the flaw in your oringinal post !!!

For the record Kni, I didn't post that to put you down or have a go. Just think it's not as simple as the Old Firm just upping sticks and entering the EPL. Mind you if they run it past Blatter and the rest of his cohorts, I'm sure they can come up with a way to make it happen !!!!

Maybe we should apply to join the Conference North, our crowds would get bigger, finances better, and you never know what could happen if we get a couple of promotions.

Season 2018/19, opening fixture PARTICK THISTLE v ASTON VILLA, last few remaining season tickets still on sale for the newly opened South Stand, £3,000.

I'll stop talking shite now.

BBC Blog today - "Their style of play, their fascinating manager, the noisy fans at their atmospheric stadium and the dignity with which they seem to go about their business - there is much to suggest that Swansea will be a welcome addition to the Premier League."

Now this might just come accross as bitterness...and I guess it is. But their style of play is way over egged, they are a decent counter attacking team and have a boy who isn't afraid to take on a man (on loan I hasten to add) but all this Swanscelona stuff is getting ridiculous. I hope they get cuffed in their first few games and MOTD, etc don't keep perpetuating this myth.

Brednan Rodgers a fascinating manager? Don't see what the guy is on about here although his blogs are largely terrible anyway.

And as for atmospheric stadium and noisy fans, their average attendances are terrible, they never sell out their ground and any man and his dog could have got a ticket in the Swansea end for yesterday's play off final. As for noisy, you must be having a laugh, they've started ripping off a few rugby songs of late, woopdeedoo. The council house Liberty Stadium (with Ospreys emblazoned accross the seats) is anything but intimidating for away teams.

Rant over.

BBC Blog today - "Their style of play, their fascinating manager, the noisy fans at their atmospheric stadium and the dignity with which they seem to go about their business - there is much to suggest that Swansea will be a welcome addition to the Premier League."

Now this might just come accross as bitterness...and I guess it is. But their style of play is way over egged, they are a decent counter attacking team and have a boy who isn't afraid to take on a man (on loan I hasten to add) but all this Swanscelona stuff is getting ridiculous. I hope they get cuffed in their first few games and MOTD, etc don't keep perpetuating this myth.

Brednan Rodgers a fascinating manager? Don't see what the guy is on about here although his blogs are largely terrible anyway.

And as for atmospheric stadium and noisy fans, their average attendances are terrible, they never sell out their ground and any man and his dog could have got a ticket in the Swansea end for yesterday's play off final. As for noisy, you must be having a laugh, they've started ripping off a few rugby songs of late, woopdeedoo. The council house Liberty Stadium (with Ospreys emblazoned accross the seats) is anything but intimidating for away teams.

Rant over.

Take it you like Cardiff then ?

An excellent contribution from Stephen Dobbie before being mysteriously 'hooked' by the manager. He had just produced a dire attempt on goal but was always a big threat to Reading and I bet they were glad to see the back of him.

With Scotland not exactly being over blessed in the striker department, surely even a balloon like Levein will soon give Dobbie a break.

It was a puzzling substitution to say the least. Dobbie had been on fire in the first half. I couldn't work out whether or not he was injured, or if it was a tactical substitution. If it was the latter, then it almost backfired big time!

I agree that Dobbie deserves a shot at international football. You would hope that the way he has been playing this season has caught Levein's eye, although his best position seems to be in "the hole" behind the main striker, which is an area where Scotland do have quite a few options already. I am looking forward to seeing how he gets on up in the EPL though.

Swansea City are a Welsh club in the same way Berwick Rangers are an English club. There is no great clamour down south, as far as I am aware, for the OF to join their league. Let's face it, after the oafish behaviour of some of the Rangers fans in Manchester a couple of years ago and the absolute circus this season, why would they?

Edited by Guy Incognito

Swansea City are a Welsh club in the same way Berwick Rangers are an English club. There is no great clamour down south, as far as I am aware, for the OF to join their league. Let's face it, after the oafish behaviour of some of the Rangers fans in Manchester a couple of years ago and the absolute circus this season, why would they?

I would not disagree. The EPL would be more receptive to an approach from Celtic. Their fans have behaved themselves on recent visits to the Emirates. The scenes in Manchester were a disgrace.

Tickets for away fans in the EPL are, in general, very limited and restricted to season ticket holders and members. Most clubs sell out every home game. The exceptions are Villa, Sunderland Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn.

I would not disagree. The EPL would be more receptive to an approach from Celtic. Their fans have behaved themselves on recent visits to the Emirates. The scenes in Manchester were a disgrace.

Tickets for away fans in the EPL are, in general, very limited and restricted to season ticket holders and members. Most clubs sell out every home game. The exceptions are Villa, Sunderland Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn.

Reportedly Celtic fans can't even behave themselves going to Edinburgh never mind England. Can you imagine the reaction of clubs and home fans in Manchester, Birmingham etc when they start singing their pro IRA crap and waving their tricolours. They can get away with that up here simply because they're big fish in a small pond and very few of us will have been affected by IRA bombing campaigns.

You're right about the other lot of course but then again their idiotic sectarian singing might not be seen as so offensive down there.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The official supporters club bar near the Emirates were far less impressed by the behaviour of the Celtic fans than your post suggests. It was a million miles away from what happened with the other cheek in Manchester but they did not like them at all from conversations I've had in there.