Official Site - Latest Contract Update

Fishul site

Seems we have given in to losing Boyle.

Well done to the official site putting this together in an article. They didn't have to, but it's a decent summary and a good attempt at letting us know whats going on.

Still waiting on the previously mentioned "off field" developments to be announced, which I'm guessing are sponsorship and kit related. :thinking:

Fishul site

Seems we have given in to losing Boyle.

Well done to the official site putting this together in an article. They didn't have to, but it's a decent summary and a good attempt at letting us know whats going on.

Still waiting on the previously mentioned "off field" developments to be announced, which I'm guessing are sponsorship and kit related. :thinking:

So McGeough has been released. I suspected that Jackie did not rate him because Campbell was preferred when Paton was injured and Kinniburgh was suspended.

No mention of Hodge, Robertson or Lochhead! Their profiles have been removed from the squad list. We must therefore assume that they have been released too.

No mention of Hodge, Robertson or Lochhead! Their profiles have been removed from the squad list. We must therefore assume that they have been released too.

The remaining out of contract players are naturally free to join other clubs but their situations will be monitored over the summer. The manager is keen to retain the services of some, if not all, of them and it is far from unlikely that we will see some of them back at Firhill next season.

"The remaining out of contract players are naturally free to join other clubs but their situations will be monitored over the summer. The manager is keen to retain the services of some, if not all, of them and it is far from unlikely that we will see some of them back at Firhill next season."

They have, in effect, been released and are no longer listed as Thistle players. There was no mention of who Jackie wants to retain. It is clear that the club does not want to pay them over the summer. It is hoping that they will not find new clubs and will sign for lower wages in desperation. Hardly a vote of confidence in those players with other players being offered deals now!

"The remaining out of contract players are naturally free to join other clubs but their situations will be monitored over the summer. The manager is keen to retain the services of some, if not all, of them and it is far from unlikely that we will see some of them back at Firhill next season."

They have, in effect, been released and are no longer listed as Thistle players. There was no mention of who Jackie wants to retain. It is clear that the club does not want to pay them over the summer. It is hoping that they will not find new clubs and will sign for lower wages in desperation. Hardly a vote of confidence in those players with other players being offered deals now!

They have clearly only told two of the out of contract players that they are no longer required. Two they can clearly afford to keep and have offered deals (OK they offered 3 a contract but Paddy does look to be away). The rest, they may want to keep but it seems as of now , like so many other clubs, we are having to wait and see how the summer pans out and what income we can generate. We were never going to be in a situation on 1st June to be able to offer everyone a contract.

Squad looks good as of today and here's hoping within a week or so it will look stronger.

Since Boyle being made offers has been mentioned yet there's no mention of Hodge then I take it that means the rumours he was being offered a pre-contract by a team in the SPL were rubbish?

Hodge seemed to be getting better as the season went on but I hope we don't sign him back up if he's not found another club.

It is clear that the club does not want to pay them over the summer. It is hoping that they will not find new clubs and will sign for lower wages in desperation. Hardly a vote of confidence in those players with other players being offered deals now!

Alternatively, it could have been explained to these players that we have priority positions that must be covered by the existing budget. Perhaps they've been told that we may be able to offer them contracts later in the summer, but have given them every opportunity to get out there and find something better/more secure. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Uhhm .. as it reminds you on the page you refer to, clubs no longer can keep player registrations when their contracts are up. These players are free because their contracts have run out. They haven't been told they're not wanted ... but they will know the club situation and that someone like Rowson (a key, key player) will be be offered a deal first and only after that is completed (hopefully with him signing) will they offer deals to other players.

It does mean some or all of them might be offered better deals elsewhere but to be honest, apart from Robertson I don't see who we couldn't afford to lose of these other players. Players are out of contract - we have to work out deals with them and that takes time. As far as I'm concerned as long as we get Rowson signed up I'm not too bothered about the others as - with the likes of Bannigan, Campbell and MacBeth coming through we can afford to lose the likes of Hodge and even Flannigan. The only other I'd miss is Robertson who can provide good cover for every defensive position. But if we sign a couple of loan players like Balatoni then we'll be fine.

We've got three experienced forwards signed plus 2 or 3 young forwards, plenty of midfield cover (though we still need Rowson) and we're only really a bit short in defenders. That may not seem much compared to some other teams but it's the best position I can remember us being in for a long while - and we're still early in the close season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Sorry to see MCGeough go. McCall had said he thought Ross better suited to a right midfield position. I assume that would be a consensus opinion and that's a position that Campbell is likely to take up plus MacBeth, Cairney and, if he re-signs, Flannigan can play.

I would suggest that Paton aside we're short of a competent right back. Campbell as kni points out can play there as can Kinniburgh but that's ok for the odd game or two. Re-signing Robbo would plug that gap in the squad but for now it's down to priorities and Jackie has Rowson & Flannigan in immediate mind.

Sorry to see MCGeough go. McCall had said he thought Ross better suited to a right midfield position. I assume that would be a consensus opinion and that's a position that Campbell is likely to take up plus MacBeth, Cairney and, if he re-signs, Flannigan can play.

I would suggest that Paton aside we're short of a competent right back. Campbell as kni points out can play there as can Kinniburgh but that's ok for the odd game or two. Re-signing Robbo would plug that gap in the squad but for now it's down to priorities and Jackie has Rowson & Flannigan in immediate mind.

Think you have hit the nail on the head. We will all debate what the priorities are for the team but at the end of the day the man making the decisions is Jackie. He's identified Rowser and Flannigan as the priority just now. I hope he gets what he wants and both sign. I'm a bit nervous bout Rowser as had hoped that would be a done deal. Totally understand though, he has to review all his options.

If they do both sign, then I hope we look to bring in 2, possibly even 3 defenders. We do that then, I think we are ready for the new season. I know some want to see another forward, but we have , in my view, plenty of options up front. Sure 3 of those options are young lads but they have all had some experience of first team football and have all coped with it well up to now.

If they do both sign, then I hope we look to bring in 2, possibly even 3 defenders. We do that then, I think we are ready for the new season. I know some want to see another forward, but we have , in my view, plenty of options up front. Sure 3 of those options are young lads but they have all had some experience of first team football and have all coped with it well up to now.

Agreed. Our current defenders are Paton, Kinniburgh, Archibald, Lindsay (18), Stevenson (19) and Ketterer (18). I have not seen Stevenson or Ketterer play and would appreciate a view on where they would fit in to the defence.

Assuming that Jackie does not register as a player, we would need, as you say, at least 2 or 3 defenders - a right back, a left back and a centre back.

My guess is that Jackie will seek to bring a right-sided defender who can cover for Paton and Kinniburgh (Balatoni or another loan player) plus a first-choice left-back.

Edited by kni

I take it as the above players will be invited back for pre-season traning, should they not be signed up by another club. They'll then be compared to other trialists, with deals being offered either to Robbo/Lochhead etc or a couple of new players who are seen to be better.

I hope Robbo & Lochhead stay, wouldn't mind Hodge staying either to be honest. But think we need some fresh blood in the squad also, so we'll need to let somebody go.

Of the six not re-signed players there's not one I wouldn't want to see next season. Not even one I'm indifferent about. I can't remember ever feeling that way at this time of year.

Obviously I'm not saying there isn't suitable replacements out there, I'll just be sad to see any from Rowson, Lochhead, Flannigan, Boyle, Hodge or Robbo leave.

Think you have hit the nail on the head. We will all debate what the priorities are for the team but at the end of the day the man making the decisions is Jackie. He's identified Rowser and Flannigan as the priority just now. I hope he gets what he wants and both sign. I'm a bit nervous bout Rowser as had hoped that would be a done deal. Totally understand though, he has to review all his options.

Partly because I feel sadly that while he has experience I still have my doubts about Grehan, though as I have clearly said on here a few times on here the abuse that he has received is a disgrace. I do think that if Grehan's contract had expired at the end of May then their is a fair chance we would not have retained him.

Other reason for another forward is if say Doolan and Stewart got injured its a lot of pressure on Grehan and the younger lads to replace Kris and Tommy in terms of getting us goals. Also remember that Tommy Stewart is a very accomplished player in midfield as well as up front.