Partick Thistle Shamed

• Administrators

I think this thread is going down a dangerous path. The song lyrics quoted, true or not, are disgusting and should never be condoned and we will not allow this forum to be used as a platform to support those views.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this thread is going down a dangerous path. The song lyrics quoted, true or not, are disgusting and should never be condoned and we will not allow this forum to be used as a platform to support those views.

I typed a big email to this, but then lost interst in sending it in case I was labelled disgusting.

Needless to say, I don't sing the 'We hate...' song anymore, as I don't like the word 'hate'. However (to other peoples shame?), I could probably give the 'Hello hello...' song an airing if provoked.

Does this smack of double standards?

• Administrators

I typed a big email to this, but then lost interst in sending it in case I was labelled disgusting.

Needless to say, I don't sing the 'We hate...' song anymore, as I don't like the word 'hate'. However (to other peoples shame?), I could probably give the 'Hello hello...' song an airing if provoked.

Does this smack of double standards?

We're not labelling anyone disgusting. All we were trying to say is that we need to tread very carefully with this sort of stuff and the lyrics in that song are all about hating other religions. We cannot allow hate towards any religion to be supported on the forum and we just need to be careful.

No way is it a great song and if Thistle fans were to sing it in this day and age I'd be utterly ashamed. I do remember a version of the song being sung with the words we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too, we hate Heart of Midlothian but the Thistle we love you. Maybe this could be resurrected next season :thinking:

Big of you to feel shame on our part, even better without having a clue as to the context in which it was sung. Surrounded on all sides by the forces of evil, belting out their Irish folk songs can you think of a better song/lyrics than those cited (and it was Jews and Mohammedans).

Easy with the sanatised segregated football of today to forget what football was like in the 70s/80s.

You go on feeling moral outrage though. Enjoy

I used to go shooting when I was younger , I started under the age of 10 in the 70s for geese with my dad.

By the time I was in my early teens I just used to go 'shooting' , I shot quite alot of animals for no reason, I once blew a sparrow off a branch just to set my sights , it didn't phase me one little bit back then and I don't feel shame or regret for doing it ,nowadays I couldn't bring myself to do it, i'd feel shame ,regret and even emotion for the animal.

Some may not find that story applicable to this thread, but I do.

Next season is my 21st season following Thistle and i've never heard that particular version of the song coming from Thistle fans, time changes alot of things.

I simply posted this thread to try and draw peoples attention to the fact that this man had clearly not done his research and was running the good name of 99.9% of Jags fans into the ground. I felt it was important that we as a club were united in our disgust at being labeled in such vile terms. Now it seems if such songs were sung, it was way before I was even born, and does not represent the views of the club or its supporters in 2011.

I in no way condone the singing of this particular song in any circumstance, those lyrics are extremely derogatory to all religions, and I am sure would offend the vast majority of Jags fans housed in the JH Stand.

I am proud to support a team that simply does not stand for any sort of prejudice, and I think the simple fact that there will be no police present next season, speaks volumes for the integrity of the Jags faithful. Now seems I did bring the comments of Alex Massie to light, I feel its important to wrap this up by saying that Alex Massie had not done his research, there is debate as to if this song was ever sung, and if it was it seems to me that it was decades ago and by a minority of the Jags fans, and it does not represent who we are in the 21st century.

I have heard about this song...but I can't say I have ever heard it sung at Firhill.

Maybe because I think religion is shown too much respect generally, I'm afraid I don't feel any particular sense of shame about the words. Like the Hello, Hello song, I don't think it is a deep theological statement - the sentiment is that Thistle fans don't like pseudo-religious tribalism at football matches...some clubs seem to have grown rich and famous out of this.

I'm more embarrassed at the memory of Thistle fans booing Laurie Cunningham when we played Orient in the Anglo-Scottish Cup in the 70's - though back then a black guy playing football in Scotland was a novelty and he was a much better player than we were used to seeing.

Big of you to feel shame on our part, even better without having a clue as to the context in which it was sung. Surrounded on all sides by the forces of evil, belting out their Irish folk songs can you think of a better song/lyrics than those cited (and it was Jews and Mohammedans).

Easy with the sanatised segregated football of today to forget what football was like in the 70s/80s.

You go on feeling moral outrage though. Enjoy

Yaaas, someone just descibed me as big :D . That's the first part where you are way off the mark tho.

Get a grip of yersel HJ and maybe you will be able to read properly. I quite clearly said "if thistle fans were to sing it in this day and age" but don't let that stop yer rant. In answer to your post tho, yes I can think of better words and always defend the hello hello song...think that song makes the point quite clearly.

For the record, I clearly understood the context in which it was sung but while I am taking umbridge (oo'er :D )at your ignorance, what was the issue wi Jews and Mohammedans in relation to the'forces of evil'?

Edited by Steven H

is it fair to say that this and our take on 'hello, hello' had relevance in an era when satire was the territory of comedians, whether those who did it for a living or the wags on the terracing.

now, whether it's bankers or trams, footballers spending a days wages (40k) on a hair transplant or the all year panto-fest that is the old filth, there's no real need to generate satire anymore.

I used to go shooting when I was younger , I started under the age of 10 in the 70s for geese with my dad.

By the time I was in my early teens I just used to go 'shooting' , I shot quite alot of animals for no reason, I once blew a sparrow off a branch just to set my sights , it didn't phase me one little bit back then and I don't feel shame or regret for doing it ,nowadays I couldn't bring myself to do it, i'd feel shame ,regret and even emotion for the animal.

Some may not find that story applicable to this thread, but I do.

Next season is my 21st season following Thistle and i've never heard that particular version of the song coming from Thistle fans, time changes alot of things.

I was also trigger happy during a short spell with a very powerful air rifle when I was a wean. You name it, whatever wildlife I happened to stumble on in the early morning was potentially about to become dead or wounded wildlife. But I actually do feel ashamed and regretful for those acts of random violence against defenceless creatures; that might be one reason that I am now veggie, and like to dream of things like song thrushes having happy times and kittens playing on rainbows.

Oh, I cannae remember that particular version of that song ever getting sung either.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Know of this song , was sung years ago, still dont like it. Not appropriate to be sung now as everyone says ,but doesnt that suggest that as a fan base we have been able to move on from that kind of crap while others are still stuck decades even centuries ago ?

Will never decry someone for singing something that was sort of acceptable at the time, everything changes what was once ok will be unacceptable now and maybe what we have sung about in the past will not be acceptable in 5/10 years time. Who knows :)

Still prefer the Tartan Army version about Irn Bru though :D

Because non-football fans hear it being sung and equate us with the Old Firm scum.

They only hear words, not the sentiment. I've seen this on public transport many times.

The song in the original post is completly intolerant to 4 religions and nothing to do with football tho. Plus, the words in the hello hello song are clearly against both sides of the old firm and what they stand for. I do accept tho that it is probably time to put an end to the hello hello song, unless we are playing one of the OF and it is in retaliation to one of their party/politcal songs.

The song in the original post is completly intolerant to 4 religions and nothing to do with football tho. Plus, the words in the hello hello song are clearly against both sides of the old firm and what they stand for. I do accept tho that it is probably time to put an end to the hello hello song, unless we are playing one of the OF and it is in retaliation to one of their party/politcal songs.

No.

Sanitized version?:

Hello Hello (or Goodbye Goodbye)

How do you do (or Farewell to you)

We hate the boys in royal blue

We hate the bhoys in emerald green

So get tae f***, you're both obscene.

That gets my vote.

Sanitized version?:

Hello Hello

How do you do

We hate the boys in royal blue

We hate the bhoys in emerald green

So get tae f***, you're both obscene.

I always thought bless the pope and save the queen would be a decent alternative ending , but personally I don't have any desire to bless the pope OR save the queen so your ending is much better.