Johnny Stewart

Lindau

What`s changed? Last week I was told I was wrong (me??) and that the club was well covered up front. The fact that only one of our forwards is likely to score goals was irrelevant because all our youngsters were going to come good and we always have the assistant manager as back up.

Nothing has changed with me HJ, you and me are from the same camp. Was at the game last night and fair do's Motherwell were half decent and way above what we will face this season but it didnt hide the fact that we are powder puff up front and with really only Doolan as a proven striker but a guy that could be subject to the 2nd year bounce (teams know him better). Grehan and Stewart have yet to prove they can score goals and after that we have young boys, who may be promising but are far from the finished article. IMO we deffo need another striker rather than another defensive midfielder on loan

Edited by Lindau

What`s changed? Last week I was told I was wrong (me??) and that the club was well covered up front. The fact that only one of our forwards is likely to score goals was irrelevant because all our youngsters were going to come good and we always have the assistant manager as back up.

Iv always agreed we need another striker mate. Just hope we get a decent crowd on saturday that can help give us some cash towards getting one.

Iv always agreed we need another striker mate.

but did you want another striker ahead of strengthening the defence? I'd have been alarmed if we'd brought in another forward before signing a left back and before bringing back Balatoni. And that's more or less where we were led to believe the budget ran out.

It now appears cash is still available for Gallagher and Johnny Stewart (loan) plus maybe Gaston and/or Boyle. If whatever is left in the kitty is enough for a decent striker then maybe McNamara would be better going down that path. Somehow tho' I doubt we've the dosh to sign anyone better than what we have.

Anyway surely nobody can say we need another striker when we've already got five (plus McGrotty & Donnelly) on our books already? I can readily accept the argument that we're short of quality but not quantity.

but did you want another striker ahead of strengthening the defence? I'd have been alarmed if we'd brought in another forward before signing a left back and before bringing back Balatoni. And that's more or less where we were led to believe the budget ran out.It now appears cash is still available for Gallagher and Johnny Stewart (loan) plus maybe Gaston and/or Boyle. If whatever is left in the kitty is enough for a decent striker then maybe McNamara would be better going down that path. Somehow tho' I doubt we've the dosh to sign anyone better than what we have.

Anyway surely nobody can say we need another striker when we've already got five (plus McGrotty & Donnelly) on our books already? I can readily accept the argument that we're short of quality but not quantity.

I would like Gallacher to be signed and another striker. Dont know if that answers your question or not. I would rather the money being allocated towards signing Stewart from Hearts went towards a striker. Balatoni was required and I agree that was a priority.

I dont think Gallacher would be on a fortune, he is only 18 and has been released from Celtic and therefore money for Stewart(Hearts player), plus any money from tomorrow, Centenary Fund etc should go towards the striker.

I do agree with your point also we currently have plenty of strikers on our books and especially what we really require is quality not quantity. For me Burns needs to be loaned out and I personally dont feel we can really count on Donnelly as a striker. Also because of their age I still feel its still a lot to ask Fraser,McGrotty to step up to the plate just now. For me Im still not convinced enough with Grehan (though the abuse he gets is ridiculous) and if someone like Dunbarton or Stirling wanted to take him on loan and it helped free up cash for a more proven striker then I would let him go.

Stewart has potential and has shown in a couple of games what he can do, he needs to make sure he carries on doing this, was a bit alarmed on wednesday night though not overly as obviously is still pre season.

The one prolific striker we have is of course Doolan.

Of course its all very well me wanting another striker but there is of course the likely chance that we wont get one. I think a lot of any other potential sumemr dealings are going to hinge to quite an extent on what sort of crowd we get tomorrow.

but did you want another striker ahead of strengthening the defence? I'd have been alarmed if we'd brought in another forward before signing a left back and before bringing back Balatoni. And that's more or less where we were led to believe the budget ran out.

It now appears cash is still available for Gallagher and Johnny Stewart (loan) plus maybe Gaston and/or Boyle. If whatever is left in the kitty is enough for a decent striker then maybe McNamara would be better going down that path. Somehow tho' I doubt we've the dosh to sign anyone better than what we have.

Thanks that's the main point, when HJ was going on about needing a striker it wasn't a case of people disagreeing with him, more a case of prioritising. We needed the defence sorted first, and being short at right back I'd say that's still a priority...but if we can afford right back cover and another player then Id expect to see a striker brought in. Can't have both of them AND Gallagher and the Hearts loanee.

Edited by Steven H

Thanks that's the main point, when HJ was going on about needing a striker it wasn't a case of people disagreeing with him, more a case of prioritising. We needed the defence sorted first, and being short at right back I'd say that's still a priority...but if we can afford right back cover and another player then Id expect to see a striker brought in. Can't have both of them AND Gallagher and the Hearts loanee.

Personally I don't think we need another striker, however if the funds are available for a striker good enough for our starting line up then I'd be happy to go for it. I feel we'll be relatively comfortable in this league and our three main strikers should produce a decent enough threat, however one more quality striker might see us challenge at the top.

Personally I don't think we need another striker, however if the funds are available for a striker good enough for our starting line up then I'd be happy to go for it. I feel we'll be relatively comfortable in this league and our three main strikers should produce a decent enough threat, however one more quality striker might see us challenge at the top.

Yeah that's what I was meaning, get the priority signings in first then IF there is enough cash and IF there is a striker out there good enough we could challenge for at least a top 3 finish by signing him.

Yeah that's what I was meaning, get the priority signings in first then IF there is enough cash and IF there is a striker out there good enough we could challenge for at least a top 3 finish by signing him.

i'd rather we tried to sign a decent striker as a priority and ahead of safety signings. football is shite at the best of times these days so if we're putting the main benefit of signing a decent striker as a challenge for a top 3 finish we might as well chuck it. more goals scored than goals lost means we win games. where are we expecting to finish if we don't sign a decent striker? 8th? 7th? maybe 6th? whoopdidoo.

i'd rather we tried to sign a decent striker as a priority and ahead of safety signings. football is shite at the best of times these days so if we're putting the main benefit of signing a decent striker as a challenge for a top 3 finish we might as well chuck it. more goals scored than goals lost means we win games. where are we expecting to finish if we don't sign a decent striker? 8th? 7th? maybe 6th? whoopdidoo.

I know what your saying, but if Paton gets injured there is no-one for right back, if we don't get Balatoni after January we're left with 2 centre backs. So the need for a right back who can play centre back outstrips the need for a striker right now imo. Jamie Campbell has filled in well at right back when asked but I feel he is more effective further up the park.

We could still challenge if Stewart is capable of a long term run of the form he showed in the last 3 games of last season and Doolan increases his scoring rate by about 5/10 goals.

OK, so let's say we only make one further signing. Any money that's been put aside for J Stewart/Gaston/Boyle/Gallagher/Lochhead (have I missed anyone?) goes instead to signing a striker above the quality of Grehan/T Stewart*/Fraser (just now)/Burns (just now)/McGrotty (just now)/Donnelly.

1/do you think the remaining money would be enough?

2/and if so, any idea who we could get in (either signed or on loan)?

Personally I can't think of a player off hand and in any case I would imagine finances would dictate that to get the quality it would have to be a loan signing.

*very much an unknown quality

I would like Gallacher to be signed and another striker. Dont know if that answers your question or not. I would rather the money being allocated towards signing Stewart from Hearts went towards a striker. Balatoni was required and I agree that was a priority.

I dont think Gallacher would be on a fortune, he is only 18 and has been released from Celtic and therefore money for Stewart(Hearts player), plus any money from tomorrow, Centenary Fund etc should go towards the striker.

I do agree with your point also we currently have plenty of strikers on our books and especially what we really require is quality not quantity. For me Burns needs to be loaned out and I personally dont feel we can really count on Donnelly as a striker. Also because of their age I still feel its still a lot to ask Fraser,McGrotty to step up to the plate just now. For me Im still not convinced enough with Grehan (though the abuse he gets is ridiculous) and if someone like Dunbarton or Stirling wanted to take him on loan and it helped free up cash for a more proven striker then I would let him go.

Stewart has potential and has shown in a couple of games what he can do, he needs to make sure he carries on doing this, was a bit alarmed on wednesday night though not overly as obviously is still pre season.

The one prolific striker we have is of course Doolan.

Of course its all very well me wanting another striker but there is of course the likely chance that we wont get one. I think a lot of any other potential sumemr dealings are going to hinge to quite an extent on what sort of crowd we get tomorrow.

very well put,i agree with your sentiments

My Pars supporting mate informs me that he rumours are Clarke is asking to be released from his contract because he is fed up with not getting a game under McIntyre despite being the Pars second top goalscorer last season.

If these 'rumours' are true (and for all I know my mate could be wrong) them would rather the money used to loan Stewart from Hearts or if there was any money made from yesterdays game to towards securing Clarke and Declan Gallacher than the Hearts midfielder. I would feel pretty confident with Clarke, Doolan and Stewart that we would have another firepower to win this league.

Would I be correct in saying that since Clarke scored that double against us playing for Clyde he's averaged about 1 goal in every 5 appearances in Div 1?

Played roughly 20 games for Pars last year and scored about 10 goals. Capable of setting up a few as well. I always thought he had did quite well at Clyde considering they didnt exactly have a great squad and probably played a large part in saving them one season from relegation. The Dundee situation was slight different they were buying up every striker under the sun.

Not a Leigh Griffiths or a Mark Stewart certainly more than capable of scoring and setting up a fair few and setting us up strongly for a promotion challenge.

Played roughly 20 games for Pars last year and scored about 10 goals. Capable of setting up a few as well. I always thought he had did quite well at Clyde considering they didnt exactly have a great squad and probably played a large part in saving them one season from relegation. The Dundee situation was slight different they were buying up every striker under the sun.

Not a Leigh Griffiths or a Mark Stewart certainly more than capable of scoring and setting up a fair few and setting us up strongly for a promotion challenge.

He scored 10 goals in 38 games (18 starts).

He scored 10 goals in 38 games (18 starts).

On another wikipedia states 10 goals and 31 games. DAFC states another thing entirely. Seems to be different websites different stats. Not that it really matters as I doubt their will be money availble from the board for another striker.

Edited by Third Lanark