Just In

Stoggy

We'll play a lot better and lose that's for sure.

Fox never really troubled that much and dealt with crosses very well.

A wee bit of luck with the deflection on the first goal, but the second was a great cross and finish cutting the ball back across the keeper. However we will need to work on our finishing as we could (maybe even should)have scored a few more but for lousy weak shots at goal.

All in all its a win and we are through to the next round.

My two concerns were Erskine and Paton. Chris seems to be terrified to have a shot and elects to pass, and although we laugh about him running around like a headless chicken at times, today a headless chicken would have been an improvement to the team. Hopefully he'll pick up soon. Paul was just as bad. Crossing was shocking at times and he just didnt look interested at times and certainly will need to improve to keep his place.

Best player for me was Rowson who marshalled the team well and always seemed to be in control.

Aaron did ok, but for me with his pace he could have exploited the wing a lot more, but I guess with time and confidence that will come.

Sat behind McCall and Cowie today. IMc still wearing that waterproof jacket even though the sun was splitting the trees. Left just before our second goal, probably to avoid the congratulations from the fans for his efforts last year. <_<

Edited by Stoggy

Fox never really troubled that much and dealt with crosses very well.

A wee bit of luck with the deflection on the first goal, but the second was a great cross and finish cutting the ball back across the keeper. However we will need to work on our finishing as we could (maybe even should)have scored a few more but for lousy weak shots at goal.

All in all its a win and we are through to the next round.

My two concerns were Erskine and Paton. Chris seems to be terrified to have a shot and elects to pass, and although we laugh about him running around like a headless chicken at times, today a headless chicken would have been an improvement to the team. Hopefully he'll pick up soon. Paul was just as bad. Crossing was shocking at times and he just didnt look interested at times and certainly will need to improve to keep his place.

Best player for me was Rowson who marshalled the team well and always seemed to be in control.

Aaron did ok, but for me with his pace he could have exploited the wing a lot more, but I guess with time and confidence that will come.

Sat behind McCall and Cowie today. IMc still wearing that waterproof jacket even though the sun was splitting the trees. Left just before our second goal, probably to avoid the congratulations from the fans for his efforts last year. <_<

L know it was the "first" game of the season, but we were poor, seemed to run out of ideas the nearer we got to their goal area.

Aaron was ok, but just expected a wee bit more "bombing" up and down, because i felt their right back could have been taken easy, just my opinion,

Doolan didnt look thast sharp, that could be down to his lack of pre-season matches.

Will need to improve to get maximum points fron Dundee and Falkirk for the first couple of games.

Early days!! :unsure:

. <_<

Erskine will drive us crazy this season - great one week, rubbish the next. This was one of his rubbish weeeks where he couldn't control anything - glad he got it out of the way today.

Paton - looked really rusty last Saturday, a bit better today but will improve.

I thought Brannigan was the weakest link, I almost prefer Cairney. - jackie tried Jamie Campbell in the midle - perhaps that's an option?

Edited by Martin

Will need to improve to get maximum points fron Dundee and Falkirk for the first couple of games.

Early days!! :unsure:

Made extremely heavy weather of it. Some good signs - No.3 looks strong, never gave up, slight problem with taking opponents on but that may come with confidence - not as concerned about losing Paddy Boyle as I was a month ago. Balatoni looked solid, Fox too, Rowser strolled through the game, and agree with the poster who says Stewart may be the best sigming in a while.

Sleepless nights - how many chances did we misss? How many high balls to the midgets up front straight down the throat of their no 5 (counted 20 then gave up). Doolan an empty jersey for most if not all of the game - HOW many offsides? Erskine less co-ordinated than than a poulet sans tete though at least he never stopped trying (that was the difference between him and Doolan who possibly needs a spell on the bench to remind him that football is a competitive game). Lost all shape (and fight) for first 1/2 hour of the second half when Stenny - let's face it, full of Jags rejects - who were utter p1sh had us on the ropes. Better sides will punish us severely if we surrender the midfield like that. Look at the goals other sides were banging in today.

Can't see anything other than relegation dogfight from day 1. 'maximum points from Dundee and Falkirk'? Pull yourself together man.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

I'd still take campbell over Paton at RB. i know hes just back from injury but hes not been getting any better since the start of pre season.

Aaron was good, he cant run up the wing everytime he gets a pass.

Doolan didnt look like scoring today, but that was partly down to every long ball forward from beyond the line being too hard, hope his Hamstrings not too serious an injury though!

Edit:

Also this formation needs to be looked at. Its too tight, paton and sinclair should be out wider. One point, flannigan bannigan and rowser were all in the circle, How are you supposed to play 'lovely passing football' if everyones about a metere close!

Edited by harryragbags

That was a pretty flat performance, in most part played out like a pre-season friendly. Some of our shooting and passing were very poor.

Bannigan will need to play better to hold down his position I feel, Cairney will be back in when he is fit. Campbell did okay when he came on , however as with Bannigan he will need to make more of an impression to force his way into the side.

Man of the match for me was Sinclair; he is a real athlete and could be a find. We will find out more about him when the real action starts though.

Rowson played well as did Flannigan and both Balatoni and Kinniburgh also had good games.

Erskine had one of his off days, if he wants to play at a higher level he will have to get more consistent.

Edited by Alan Murray

That was a pretty flat performance, in most part played out like a pre-season friendly. Some of our shooting and passing were very poor.

Bannigan will need to play better to hold down his position I feel, Cairney will be back in when he is fit. Campbell did okay when he came on , however as with Bannigan he will need to make more of an impression to force his way into the side.

Man of the match for me was Sinclair; he is a real athlete and could be a find. We will find out more about him when the real action starts though.

Rowson played well as did Flannigan and both Balatoni and Kinniburgh also had good games.

Erskine had one of his off days, if he wants to play at a higher level he will have to get more consistent.

My worry with Erskine is that when he has an off day he has an OFF day. Nothing goes right and he may as well be subbed after 10 mins. Very rarely have I watched him have a poor start to a game and then get better as it goes along. Its as if he knows himself that he is having a stinker and it plays on his mind.

Today he had a couple of clear chances to have a shot but instead looked for the pass and it came to nothing. This season we cant afford to carry any passengers in a game so lets hope this is just a bit of early season rustiness.

Very much a par for the course performance at this stage today. Many times in these early season challenge cup ties we just don't show up but often scrape through somehow. Today was like that but for me no great indicator of things to come. I'm not sure we will play that formation often against stronger teams. It is seldom you see a 4-3-3 played as literally as that where the 3 front stay up front. This meant we did concede a body in midfield and I thought Rowsen and Brannigan more that anyone work hard to limit the damage. The upshot was that we struggled to create a lot from midfield. I suspect we will see a change in formation and possibly personel within in the "bigger" games to come. Too early to make judgements otherwise IMHO

CAnt seem to reply directly onto Semi Nurainens post, What i said was WE WILL NEED TO IMPROVE, to get maximum points from Dundee and Falkirk, cant have the shitty start that we had last season, there is no escaping todays display was poor, we need to get off to a flyer because i think we may struggle if we get hit with injuries/suspensions later on, i hope not, will have to wait and see, just glad the season has started!!