Team V Hamilton

Mr Bunny

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wee Alan, a legend of the Star and Garter, nailed it. IF YOU DONT CREATE CHANCES YOU DON'T WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!

That was garbage of the highest order.

Well done to Scott Fox for making various excellent saves, and young Lindsay - he did well. Rowson and Cairney were fine.

Special mention for the shocking Paton, the shite Erskine, the terrible Sinclair, the slow Stewart and the non footballer Grehan.

Worst still the Thistle fans, Grown men shouting 'CHEAT CHEAT' at the end. Who cheated? The ref certainly did not, it was STONEWALL!!!! Why are we moaning like girls? The only people cheated tonight were all the fans who turned up and watched that turgid pish, both sets of fans.

I thought the penalty was pretty soft tbh but id have been yelling for one had it been at the other end. Thats the last 3 games where the opposition keeper has had next to nothing to do. Hamilton were nothing special in fact they were pretty ordinary but they deserved their win due to maing our keeper work. Lindsay and Robertson had good games as did Balatoni. Sinclair was inneffectual at wide left midfield but no more so than Erskine at wide right. Cairney and Rowson had decent games. Grehan ---oh dear and Stewart was as mentioned above a bit slow. We played some nice football at times but the lack of efforts on target in the last 3 games is shocking and needs rectified rather sharpish.

Edited by Jaggyman

Never a penalty IMO, player stopped then threw himself to the ground , even their keeper was shaking his head at it.

Toothless performance though , no idea how we are going to change this to make it work as we look utterly clueless. Pass marks to Rowson , Cairney, Fox , and Balatoni, Robertson and Lindsay who did ok , rest were a disgrace and should be taking a long look at their performance tonight

I thought the penalty was pretty soft tbh but id have been yelling for one had it been at the other end. Thats the last 3 games where the opposition keeper has had next to nothing to do. Hamilton were nothing special in fact they were pretty ordinary but they deserved their win due to maing our keeper work. Lindsay and Robertson had good games as did Balatoni. Sinclair was inneffectual at wide left midfield but no more so than Erskine at wide right. Cairney and Rowson had decent games. Grehan ---oh dear and Stewart was as mentioned above a bit slow. We played some nice football at times but the lack of efforts on target in the last 3 games is shocking and needs rectified rather sharpish.

Sinclair played at left wing and Erskine at right. Both were utter gash.

Looked to me like he simply ran/barged into the back of him. Stonewall penalty if thats the case no?

If that was what happened then yes, stonewall penalty.

My gut reaction at the time though was dive. Honestly, I'm not prone to viewing these things with Thistle blinkers on but we really have been on the harsh side of two highly contentious decisons in the last two games.

Thats the last 3 games where the opposition keeper has had next to nothing to do.

wasn't at the game tonight but on Saturday douglas made a good save from a Paton shot, an ok save from a header and they cleared the ball off the line in the last minute so while we haven't scored unfair to say the keeper has had "nothing to do"

Ok, this might be a long post.

A hybrid of the Special One, Jock Stein and John Lambie couldn't get any more out of that bunch! I don't blame Jackie for tonights result, but his tactics were bizarre. Sinclair should have never of started at left mid! He's a young lad with a big future ahead of him as a DEFENDER! Jackie, don't discourage him by placing him in the midfield like that. For one, Lyndsay looks like a player that might take a few years to develop, the basics he did all right, but coming forward he was indecisive, slow and simply couldn't pass! Sinclair should have started at left back, with Erskine on the left and Flannigan on the right, where we all know he is best.

Tommy Stewart reminds me of Lovell before we signed him. He worked hard before to win a contract, now that he's got it, he just does not care. He had nothing today. Big Simon at full back for Hamilton had him in his back pocket all evening. I do not condone the booing that Grehan got when he was taken off, but still that does not discourage me from saying he is one of the worst Jags players I have ever seen. How a 6ft'2 player can't win headers is beyond me. David Beattie was watching from the stands tonight, maybe now he will see we won't score more than 30 goals this season (if that) without another striker.

It's a shame about Robertson conceding the penalty, as he was good all evening. He did after all clear that goalbound corner off the line very well. However, even if its a soft penalty, when someone has their back to goal, the last thing you want to do is go barging into someone from behind!

Anyway: Fox, some really good saves tonight. Lyndsay, defended all right, but nothing coming forward. Balatoni, much better than Saturday. Robertson, played well, but I hope he returns to CM. Paton, useless high balls and crosses again. Cairney, very average. Rowson, covered every blade of grass, a real role model for some of those players. Sinclair, okay, but he is not a midfielder. Erskine, it's just not been his season so far. Stewart, lethargic and lazy. Grehan, no comment.

My tuppence worth.

First competitive game I've seen this season and it left a lot to be desired. May sound negative considering we narrowly lost, again to a late penalty, but there are some fundamental problems with our team.

The most glaringly obvious problem we have is that we are totally toothless up front; in fact, forget toothless, we don't even have a mouth. Stewart was a passenger tonight; very lackadaisical, sloppy in possession and often made the wrong decision, be it his off-the-ball movement (which is pretty much non-existant) or his passing. I think Grehan gets a raw deal from the fans; he's a handy player. Just because he's of a decent size doesn't assume that he's going to possess all the attributes of a target man type of player. He takes the ball into feet pretty well in most cases and can be a decent link-up man. All that being said, he had a bit of a stinker tonight but still didn't deserve to be booed from the pitch. Erskine had managed to find an element of consistency towards the end of last season and that consistency has continued into this one, albeit of a different variety - by all accounts, he was stinking in the first few games and he was stinking tonight. Totally ineffective although I'll spare him some criticism as playing him wide right was a strange decision. Doolan was brighter when he came on and, at least, has good movement and gets in decent positions but I don't view him as an out-and-out goalscorer. True, he's a great finisher and scored 15 goals last year but I agree with the opinion that he is more suited to a "second striker" role. Indeed, I think we have an array of "second strikers" but pretty much no centre forwards; someone who will stand in the middle and have one objective - put the ball in the net.

I thought Lindsay was poor and it was evident that he's played very little first team football. He was caught out time and again, either being too close to Balatoni or being out of position, allowing Hamilton to play the ball inside him where, in the first in particular, McAllister got up the wing to good effect. His distribution was patchy, often losing the ball, and, as someone touched upon already, he looked hesitant when going forward. Sinclair didn't help him out much though and he also had a poor game. Never a left midfielder in a million years and clearly doesn't know how to play the position. He doesn't get to the byline enough in my opinion, he's got the pace and is more than capable of going down the outside and getting the ball across.

On a positive note, I thought Cairney had a good game and was probably our best player. Looks more like the player who first arrived a few years back and got forward to good effect. Rowson was his usual self; thank God we got him re-signed. Was unlucky with a long range effort which just turned away at the last minute. Balatoni had quite a decent game.

I wasn't overly impressed by the signing of Robertson and, after hearing some views of fans of his previous clubs, was even less enthused. But I quite like the look of him. Imposing, keeps it simple, good in the air and versatile. Will need to see the penalty incident again; if he has barged into the player then he can't really have any complaints. Wouldn't imagine he's costing an arm and a leg, offers options in defence and midfield and fills out the squad a bit more. If he performs like he did tonight, he'll play a lot more this season.

On the performance overall, I thought there were some decent passages of play, nice interplay but little off-the-ball movement. It didn't really matter though as we never looked like scoring, not even when the ball fell to Doolan moments after he came on. In my opinion, Hamilton had a greater majority of the play but created little openings; in fact, I can't recall Fox making a save, apart from a Lyle header in the first half and a decent save around the post in the second.

It's a diddy cup anyway...

The only positive I can take out of the last two games is on play we don't seem to be far behind two of the fancied teams. Put another way, soft penalties or whatever aside, Hamilton and Dundee can't score against us and we can't score against them. If this is what the season has in store it's gonna be a painful experience but at least not just for us.

Any of our players who did well, or at least were largely free of criticism, tonight all got pass marks from a defensive point of view. I can't think of one single player who anyone could say did well going forward.

The only positive I can take out of the last two games is on play we don't seem to be far behind two of the fancied teams. Put another way, soft penalties or whatever aside, Hamilton and Dundee can't score against us and we can't score against them. If this is what the season has in store it's gonna be a painful experience but at least not just for us.

Any of our players who did well, or at least were largely free of criticism, tonight all got pass marks from a defensive point of view. I can't think of one single player who anyone could say did well going forward.

Bingo!

That applied to both teams...Hamilton were rank as well. The quality of football was just downright poor and the game seemed to drag on interminably. I was almost hoping either team would score just so there would be no extra time.

Positives? We were the team trying to play football in a recognised way, with the ball flowing from front to back, but by the end we had even got fed up with that and were hoofing it back and forth a bit. Too many very poor first touches from a large number of players though, which just broke up the rhythm.

Thought the ref was miles better than the last two I've seen and he was trying to keep the game flowing. I can't imagine how long the game would have gone on if he'd been like the guy at the Berwick game.

wasn't at the game tonight but on Saturday douglas made a good save from a Paton shot, an ok save from a header and they cleared the ball off the line in the last minute so while we haven't scored unfair to say the keeper has had "nothing to do"

Agree. While it's a little worrying that we are not scoring enough goals, up until last night we were creating chances: you can add things like Erskine clean through against Dundee and blazing over the bar when he could have side-passed to players in support.

From what those at the game (couldn't make it) are saying we weren't too bad at the back and Balatoni and Robertson had decent games there. That's good news: I was beginning to worry that Balatoni had lost the plot. Less worried about Robertson but good to hear he was OK. That means we have decent cover for defence which was a worry.

We do need to start taking more chances though.

Edited by Mr Bunny

David Weatherson on trial at Falkirk till friday apparently and the bairns will make a decision then about whether to sign him or not. Surely we know what he is capable of we should tray and nick in and sign him before then.

I believe his pace could be an asset, but is this another case of you crapping your pants over an average First Division player?

Agree. While it's a little worrying that we are not scoring enough goals, up until last night we were creating chances: you can add things like Erskine clean through against Dundee and blazing over the bar when he could have side-passed to players in support.

From what those at the game (couldn't make it) are saying we weren't too bad at the back and Balatoni and Robertson had decent games there. That's good news: I was beginning to worry that Balatoni had lost the plot. Less worried about Robertson but good to hear he was OK. That means we have decent cover for defence which was a worry.

We do need to start taking more chances though.

If I was Stewart or Doolan I'd be complaining about the lack of chances. Erkine is probably the only one seriously guilty of wasting chances. Had he squared the ball with pace from the right in the first half against Berwick, see the above with Dundee and not dithered going thru on goal last night Jaggernaut's question (see other thread) might be redundant.

Ironically the area we looked strongest on paper with, midfield, is looking like causing the biggest concern. Usually in previous seasons Rowson worked quietly away in the background, breaking up attacks and a quick short pass to another midfielder to push on. This season he's still doing what he does best but now he's also the midfielder most likely to move the ball forward. That shouldn't be and if Rowson gets injured or suspended it'll be like losing two midfielders. I've got tremendous respect for Rowser but even at that I feel we've got a real problem when David's our most creative player.

If I was Stewart or Doolan I'd be complaining about the lack of chances. Erkine is probably the only one seriously guilty of wasting chances. Had he squared the ball with pace from the right in the first half against Berwick, see the above with Dundee and not dithered going thru on goal last night Jaggernaut's question (see other thread) might be redundant.

Ironically the area we looked strongest on paper with, midfield, is looking like causing the biggest concern. Usually in previous seasons Rowson worked quietly away in the background, breaking up attacks and a quick short pass to another midfielder to push on. This season he's still doing what he does best but now he's also the midfielder most likely to move the ball forward. That shouldn't be and if Rowson gets injured or suspended it'll be like losing two midfielders. I've got tremendous respect for Rowser but even at that I feel we've got a real problem when David's our most creative player.

Perhaps that would give credence to TL's Weatherston suggestion, although it looks as if Falkirk have the signing wrapped up. I've always seen him as more of a creator than a goalscorer and wouldn't mind seeing him cut in off our wing.

I really do worry even at this early stage of the season. My main point is really that this team needed a confident start if we had 2 wins under the belt then not surpisingly to everyone it would breed confidence and most of the younger players would be looking for passes and developing the way we would expect. My main worry is that the longer we go on without a win then confidence and the development of the younger players in this team will get worse.

I was at the game on Saturday however was not there last night...we are an average team and even at this early stage its plain to see we will have a struggle for most of the season. There is time between now and the end of August for our board to help the Manager in some way and that means a Striker with some credibility that looks like he knows the way to goal as at the moment its a struggle to see which one of our present forwards will get to double figures this season. I know that we keep moaning about not having any money but surely its better to stay in the First Division than it is to drop out of it as make no mistake this team is without doubt weaker than last term. I would base this purely on the fact that the Dundee team who turned up at Firhill on Saturday was probably the poorest Dundee team that has came to Firhill for a long time and we still couldnt score.

And to all those who will come on and say this is a knee jerk reaction be serious, this team that we are watching is not good enough to pull back the bad start that we had last season. Not just that there is no Cowdenbeath and Stirling. Yes I am a season ticket holder and I have been going to Firhill for 40 years and yes I do watch and coach a lot of Football however all of the previous does not make me right but this is without doubt the worst atmosphere and general lack of enthusiasm that I have ever known at Firhill.