Friday Night Football

grangemouth jag

If there were a surfeit of Friday night fixtures I'd probably miss most of them on the basis that I'm usually knackered on a Friday evening. It would be too much effort to think about going, never mind actually making the effort to turn up.

:o that's uncanny. Almost word for word what a few of our first team players told me.

We might as well try it for a match or two, certainly for teams who are relatively close to each other. If it doesn't work and crowds are much lower than normal then so be it, it will have been a failure and won't be repeated. Scottish football is slowing dying, anything that at least tries to add some interest to the current format of playing teams 4 times a year (often more) should at least be experimented with, it's not as if we're talking about moving every match to Friday night. If we wait until everyone agrees on any possible change, be it league reconstruction, summer football, or whatever, we'll never do anything.

It would be interesting to know what the SFL's aim is, e.g, to increase/stem the sharp decreases in crowds. Or what, if any, data/knowledge have they used, e.g, the recent fan survey carried out by the club. Or is it, as most of us seem to think, a trial and error approach?

Might be interesting to see if any players gain a yard or two as a result of not being in the boozer on a Friday night.

It would be interesting to know what the SFL's aim is, e.g, to increase/stem the sharp decreases in crowds. Or what, if any, data/knowledge have they used, e.g, the recent fan survey carried out by the club. Or is it, as most of us seem to think, a trial and error approach?

Might be interesting to see if any players gain a yard or two as a result of not being in the boozer on a Friday night.

All error, no trial B)

Ironically, a Hamilton supporting friend was looking forward to getting back to the certainty of a game on Saturday at 3pm

Got to say I dont think its that bad an idea on a one off basis in the whole season for each club. It might have its merits before an International weekend at Hampden or just as a stand alone. The only problem I have is that the whole idea is years too late to entice any prospective financially rewarding TV coverage.

Edited by Ruchillnomore

Got to say I dont think its that bad an idea on a one off basis in the whole season for each club. It might have its merits before an International weekend at Hampden or just as a stand alone. The only problem I have is that the whole idea is years too late to entice any prospective financially rewarding TV coverage.

That's where I thought the only benefit could be, but who would want to buy it, the BBC? STV? Why? You're right, way too late for this to impact on potential TV deals.

Personally it would provide me with the perfect excuse for a Friday night off work :D

Anyone think there's any merit to kicking off games at 2pm on Saturdays during winter months?

Potential savings in floodlight costs.

Safety implications of travelling home in daylight.

I noticed this a few seasons back when the floodlights came on at half-time in a game at Clyde in early October (might even have been September). My suggestion for 2pm kick off was roundly ridiculed on the old forum.

I’ve got a time honoured routine on Friday nights and that’s going to the pub with a few friends. I’ve also got another time honoured routine and that is going to Firhill on Saturdays. Am not too bothered at what time.

If given the option of what to do on Friday nights and especially with the team performing the way they are there would be no competition.

Firhill gate money would definitely be one down.

So it’s no no no for me.

Mind you I'd have no objection if they wanted to try it for away games :D

If you play the games on a friday night your hardly going to encourage more people to come, then the kids may have BB, scouts youth clubs etc, the young team are gettin ready to out to the dancin, and guys will be gettin hastle that a friday night is their night from there missus as he gets the saturdays off, lower crowds increased cost with floodlights etc, if they want to try something new try bigger leagues or summer football

Another factor against this is train prices. Travelling to the game at that time of the evening means you're going at peak time and don't get the cheap day return. For me travelling from Edinburgh that's an extra £10 to Glasgow. You're likely to get less non Glasgow Jags fans as well as a smaller away support.

like the sound of summer football better than a wet Friday night,as we all get a bit older i think we change our views on this. The support will all have different thoughts on the impact on everyone involved but at the end of the day i don't care when we play i will always try and be there at any time in any weather.

like the sound of summer football better than a wet Friday night,as we all get a bit older i think we change our views on this. The support will all have different thoughts on the impact on everyone involved but at the end of the day i don't care when we play i will always try and be there at any time in any weather.

As I've got older I've stopped going to away matches.

I've also got to the position where missing a home match for some other reason is no longer the end of the world.

Always look for a reason to miss a midweek match if I can manage one.

Spent most Saturday's at Firhill compiling mental lists of what else I could be doing.

The next step is inevitable, it's just a question of whether that happens or the grim reaper gets to me first.

I wouldn't mind it but in a way I kind of like 3pm Saturdays because I can go out on the ale with non-Jag mates on Friday night and instead of waking up on a Saturday with nothing to do waiting on a hangover kicking in and lying on the couch I get out of bed still half cut, nip in the shower, cram down a bacon roll and get myself to the pub early doors for pre-match pubs. It eliminates the potential for a Saturday hangover and even if your Saturday night peters out into nothing at least you've done something.

If they do it they should make a rule that it can only happen if the away fans are able to get a return train to their home town/city after the game. Ruling out Dumfries, Dingwall and probably Dundee for us.

I'm totally against it for the simply reason Dick Dung on Sportsound thought it was a great idea, saying it meant fans going to the Livvy v Hamilton game could still go out for a meal etxc afterwards if the brought the kickoff time forward.

The mans a complete fecking idiot - people have to work and at peak times has he actually tried heading out on the M8

Neither for nor against I work 3 days minimum 24/7...so missing games anyway on Saturdays at 3pm, cant see people wanting to rush home on Friday to get to the game.

If it was on a couple a season I don't see the harm in trying it..so long as it fits in with my work rota obviously :D