Bannigan

ian_mac

Lenny the guy has done more than enough to earn a start this season. McNamara couldn't pick a punnet of strawberries.

Sinclair and Elliott would indicate that Jackie has a good eye for a player.

We don't see training during the week.

Bannigan is still a very young lad. I admit I'd like to see him feature, and did think he would have been a starter. I saw the Celtic game and thought he looked good. Don't think anyone in midfield have let themselves down too much since the start so Bannigan will just have to work hard and wait on his time. When it comes, it will be up to him to take it.

Looked a far better player/option for the team than Flanagan ever has. Not having a go at Jackie but, IMO, he is wrong to pick Flanagan ahead of Bannigan.

totally different players, flanagan was part of a front three while bannigan is more in the midfield three.

so who do you drop? rowson, cairney or the invisible man Robertson ( i hope its his fitness)

totally different players, flanagan was part of a front three while bannigan is more in the midfield three.

so who do you drop? rowson, cairney or the invisible man Robertson ( i hope its his fitness)

Flanagan has played as part of the midfield this season and should never start there ahead of Bannigan. I fully admit that I am not a fan of Flanagan at all as I think he is lazy, doesnt track back and sh*ts out of tackles far too much. (To be fair he had two decent tackles at the start of the game today and then faded back to his usual self)

Sinclair and Elliott would indicate that Jackie has a good eye for a player.

We don't see training during the week.

Bannigan is still a very young lad. I admit I'd like to see him feature, and did think he would have been a starter. I saw the Celtic game and thought he looked good. Don't think anyone in midfield have let themselves down too much since the start so Bannigan will just have to work hard and wait on his time. When it comes, it will be up to him to take it.

from what I have heard Sinclair was identified as a target for Thistle well before McCall left.

Flanagan has played as part of the midfield this season and should never start there ahead of Bannigan. I fully admit that I am not a fan of Flanagan at all as I think he is lazy, doesnt track back and sh*ts out of tackles far too much. (To be fair he had two decent tackles at the start of the game today and then faded back to his usual self)

i thought and they set up at the start that way they were playing 4-3-3 with flanagan playing behind or on the flanks of the strikers?

I can understand why Bannigan wasn't on the bench today (three subs who can easily play in more than one position plus the new lad). My concern would be more centred on the starting midfield and I really feel Stuart's inclusion in place of Robertson would have given us if not stronger a more balanced midfield unit.

disagree about robertson

i think he has a place in our back 4

early days jackie still to settle on formation etc

I'd start Bannigan over Robertson. Robertson hasn't done much wrong, but he hasn't done anything of note either. He's either not fit or just terribly slow, maybe both.

Campbell at CM could be worth a try too.

Don't rate Robertson in midfield, Bannigan will feature sooner rather than later, Cairney has done well recently. Good to have options as we also have Campbell, Flannigan, Erskine all capable to play next to Rowson

Don't rate Robertson in midfield, Bannigan will feature sooner rather than later, Cairney has done well recently. Good to have options as we also have Campbell, Flannigan, Erskine all capable to play next to Rowson

McBeth should, hopefully, be available soon too. However, given Ryan's lack of matches over the past year (especially pre-season), a loan spell might do him good.

Campbell for me at the moment is the better option.

Bannigan lacks a bit of dig. Not sure if he would do that well against teams in the top half of this league.

Agree does not look like a ball winner, but he is very promising when it comes to giving others an outlet as he is always looking for the ball and looks to distribute it too.

I'd have Rowser and Cairney as the ball winners and Bannigan to be used as spray it around.

Yes I rate Bannigan ahead of Flannigan, however Flannigan although not brilliant was nowhere near as bad yesterday as some have made out. Still I guess some fans need to rearrange their whipping boy league table now that Grehan has gone!

Whoever plays, lets judge them on that game than be blinded by intrenched views and refusing to give any credit for anything positive that a player does.

Bannigan had his chance at the start of the season so obviously McNamara thinks Rowson and Cairney are better.

I don't see why McNamara wouldn't play him if he was the cracking player some peeople make him out to be.

I think it's a lot to do with the bad start to the season we've had - and this goes for all the young players - which must make the manager feel he needs to rely more on experience until we pull ourselves up the table a bit. If we do that then I think we'll see more youngsters getting game time.

To follow on from this, re Flannigan. I thought he played OK at times, occassionally did some good things but he has an annoying tendency to waste chances to play a cross in quickly and cut back on to his other foot or play it backwards.

My criticism of him is this: he's an experienced player and has the ability to hold on to the ball or play simple passes to retain possession. Late in the game yesterday he was giving the ball away a lot and hitting it anywhere sometimes. I really would expect a lot more of him. If he can't keep a cool head then we're better off playing someone like Bannigan who can.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Bannigan had his chance at the start of the season so obviously McNamara thinks Rowson and Cairney are better.

I don't see why McNamara wouldn't play him if he was the cracking player some peeople make him out to be.

I imagine McNamara like McCall would rather have a points cushion before playing Bannigan rather than he doesn't rate him.

It's easy saying in hindsight that Bannigan would've brought more to the team if he had started in place of Robertson but when we kicked off the game we had no points out of six. Jackie probably feels that's the wrong time to introduce the youngster.

Hopefully that'll change soon. Besides Bannigan has picked up a fair amount of experience at Ayr last season especially playing against SPL opposition.

I think it's a lot to do with the bad start to the season we've had - and this goes for all the young players - which must make the manager feel he needs to rely more on experience until we pull ourselves up the table a bit. If we do that then I think we'll see more youngsters getting game time.

To follow on from this, re Flannigan. I thought he played OK at times, occassionally did some good things but he has an annoying tendency to waste chances to play a cross in quickly and cut back on to his other foot or play it backwards.

My criticism of him is this: he's an experienced player and has the ability to hold on to the ball or play simple passes to retain possession. Late in the game yesterday he was giving the ball away a lot and hitting it anywhere sometimes. I really would expect a lot more of him. If he can't keep a cool head then we're better off playing someone like Bannigan who can.

Flannigan's legs were gone in the last 20 mins, as somebody has already said he would have been subed but Sinclair came off injured meaning we have used all our subs.