Scottish Independence

honved

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have some questions about Scottish independendce. Firstly, does SNP stand for a Republic of Scotland or Kingdom of Scotland?In the case of Kingdom of Scotland, will it be a Personal union with England/Wales? Or kingdom with Queen Anne? In my opinion, I support republic, of course.
Neither - it stands for 'Scottish National Party'.

There's a council by election happening here (always dodgy things Hamilton by-elections!) and while I don't agree with their politics and will never vote for them the SNP have so far been the only party who even look like they give a toss about it. I even got a canvassing phone call from the Nats. This is nothing new and its little wonder the SNP are so popular with the (misguided) electorate. I just wish all the other parties were as up for it.

Edited to add: apologies for going off-topic

Edited by hamiltonjag

Aye, but did anyone notice that SNP MSPs are crossing picket lines today?

Any respect I had for the Nationalists flew out the window when I heard about this. Surely any left-of-centre SNP sympathiser/voter must be squirming. Or maybe it's just me trying to impose my principles which would never allow me (irrespective of whether I agreed with the industrial action or not) to ever cross a picket line.

Any respect I had for the Nationalists flew out the window when I heard about this. Surely any left-of-centre SNP sympathiser/voter must be squirming. Or maybe it's just me trying to impose my principles which would never allow me (irrespective of whether I agreed with the industrial action or not) to ever cross a picket line.

In some ways similar to the view that nobody should ever be allowed to depict Muhammed, i.e. because some people want it that way?

In some ways similar to the view that nobody should ever be allowed to depict Muhammed, i.e. because some people want it that way?

Irrespective of whether you agree with this statement (Or the picket line one) or not, you must admit it would be pretty bad form if a politician did either?

Not really. If people are on strike then imvho crossing their picket line is akin to slinging the vickie at their grievance. Depicting imaginary dieties of any religion in a humourous manner is more like depicting Santa or the tooth fairy lying jaked in a gutter. While this may seem a good laugh to some there is nothing remotely amusing about MSPs crossing a picket line (again, just my opinion)

Welcome to the 21st century brother.

Pretty busy on the Labour benches in Whitehall today though. So that's Labour in Scotland in a nutshell. Remote from Westminster when it's politically expedient, but lacking the cojones to cut themselves completely free.

Edited by honved

You are of course suggesting that all of those SNP MSP's are members of a union which is striking today. Or are you suggesting that people with no legal right to strike should just take the day off rather than do the job that they are paid for?

You are of course suggesting that all of those SNP MSP's are members of a union which is striking today. Or are you suggesting that people with no legal right to strike should just take the day off rather than do the job that they are paid for?

I am suggesting that it is my principles, and those of many other people I know, not to cross picket lines. I am at work today as I am not a Public Sector worker. If I had to cross a picket line to access my office I would not have done so. But then I do see that these principles are not shared by certain MSPs. That's for them to live with. Am I not permitted in this wonderful country of Scotland to question those who do not share these principles?

I am suggesting that it is my principles, and those of many other people I know, not to cross picket lines. I am at work today as I am not a Public Sector worker. If I had to cross a picket line to access my office I would not have done so. But then I do see that these principles are not shared by certain MSPs. That's for them to live with. Am I not permitted in this wonderful country of Scotland to question those who do not share these principles?

Do you run your own business?

So even if you strongly disagreed with the strike and it had nothing to do with you or the business sector that you were employed in, you would put your own employment at risk by refusing to cross a picket line.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

Why pick on MSPs? There are polis, doctors, firemen, coastguards, nurses, etc etc. working today!

Do you run your own business?

No. I work in the Voluntary Sector

So even if you strongly disagreed with the strike and it had nothing to do with you or the business sector that you were employed in, you would put your own employment at risk by refusing to cross a picket line.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

(1) I don't work in the business sector. (2) Yes I would put my own employment at risk.

Nothing logical about you jumping to conclusions tbh

Why pick on MSPs? There are polis, doctors, firemen, coastguards, nurses, etc etc. working today!

Scabs are scabs. There will always be scabs unfortunately. That's for them and their conscience (or lack thereof).

MSPs behaving like scabs and crossing picket lines? Well that's a conscience thing too. I make no apologies for "picking on" people whether they are scabs or MSPs for crossing picket lines. Just my opinion.

Scabs are scabs. There will always be scabs unfortunately. That's for them and their conscience (or lack thereof).

MSPs behaving like scabs and crossing picket lines? Well that's a conscience thing too. I make no apologies for "picking on" people whether they are scabs or MSPs for crossing picket lines. Just my opinion.

So someone on a temporaty contract working in a school who is told 'off the record' that their contract is unlikely to be renewed if they dont report for work is, in your eyes, a scab?

I'd love to be financially independent and not have to worry about such trivial things as money.

So someone on a temporaty contract working in a school who is told 'off the record' that their contract is unlikely to be renewed if they dont report for work is, in your eyes, a scab?

I'd love to be financially independent and not have to worry about such trivial things as money.

That's a matter for the employee to raise with their union.

I'd love to be financially independent and not have to worry about trivial things like money too.

How much would I have to pay you to waive your principles?

That's a matter for the employee to raise with their union.

I'd love to be financially independent and not have to worry about trivial things like money too.

How much would I have to pay you to waive your principles?

Not everyone working in schools are members of the EIS.

My principles aren't for sale. Loyalty to my family and keeping a roof over my head would determine if I could afford to strike or not regardless of whether I was in support or not.

Not everyone working in schools are members of the EIS.

My principles aren't for sale. Loyalty to my family and keeping a roof over my head would determine if I could afford to strike or not regardless of whether I was in support or not.

And you are of course entitled to that opinion. So if you didn't strike I assume you wouldn't accept the fruits of the strike? Wage rise/improved conditions/agreed pensions....