Scottish Independence

honved

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of a future where we're going it alone; so what will be different for the average man in the street? Blunt answer: sweet f*** all!

I had an answer to this typed out but then remembered that I had read this article today. It is from the Scotsman newspaper, rarely noted for its pro-independence stance but they make some good points, particularly here:

The scale of poverty, health inequalities and dislocation in Scotland requires fundamental change: one in four children living in hardship, the worst life expectancy levels in western Europe. Doesn’t the union have to take some responsibility for this? Isn’t there at least the possibility independence could aid the transformational change we need to address this?

They also sum up the mentality of the Labour party brilliantly here:

Forty one years ago, when Labour gave evidence to the Kilbrandon commission on the constitution, the Labour delegation, led by John Pollock, was asked which it would choose if it had to: an independent, centre-left Scotland or a Conservative Britain, and it answered without reservation, a Conservative Britain. And this is still the bind they are in, choosing London over Scottish priorities.

Labout and the Tories are like the Old Firm of British politics: they both claim to be at completely different ends of the spectrum; but one cannot exist without the other

Naw not the Sturge, i'm thinking maybe after 15 pint's.........Naw no the Sturge. Wid ye?

To be fair to Nicola she does have a pretty decent pair of legs, so there is scope to do her from behind ; or possibly just hold her legs up to obscure her face.

She may not be the bonniest woman ever but how many Scottish female Liebour politicians would "get it"? :unsure:

I had an answer to this typed out but then remembered that I had read this article today. It is from the Scotsman newspaper, rarely noted for its pro-independence stance but they make some good points, particularly here:

They also sum up the mentality of the Labour party brilliantly here:

Labout and the Tories are like the Old Firm of British politics: they both claim to be at completely different ends of the spectrum; but one cannot exist without the other

Excellent post and link.

Good post Guy, i'm very surprised at the Scotsman publishing that, maybe it's slowly dawning on them that their plummeting sale's figures might have something to do with their political and anti Scottish Government stance (take note Hearld). Some of the people who posted comments under it were so right wing, they make oor JB sound like Tony Benn.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/politics/iain_gray_attacks_vile_poison_of_snp_politics_1_1938191

Youse lot better watch it.... I'm a nasty cyber-nat Grrrrrrr! I'll chib yer dug Grrrrrrrrr! And lamp ye with my laptop oot ma bedsit windae Grrrrrr!!!!

Interesting article, and when I see muppets like Gray coming out with shite like this - "Bodies like the CBI when their message does not suit are told not to blunder into politics.” - I find myself beginning to question my (lifelong) allegiance to Labour, a party who, ideologically, are supposed to be diametrically opposed to everything the CBI stands for.

If Keir Hardie and Nye Bevan were alive today, they'd be turning in their graves reading this grade A apostasy. :angry:

He had a chance to put forward in his last major speech as a unionist party leader, his vision of how he would like to see labours new leader making a brighter, better Britain. Instead it was the usual SNP bashing that they've done for the last two Holyrood elections, and look where that's got them. Will these clowns never learn a lesson. Don't slam the door on the way out Ian.

The obvious (and only) answers to both questions are yes. But the problem is that these are issues resolved by policy primarily and not by structure. There's no inevitability about any policy decisions made in an independant Scotland.

Whilst Scotland may not be a Conservative country, I think it is in many ways (and particularly in Central Scotland) a deeply conservative country. The increase in the Labour vote at the last General Election was an affirmation of this. The SNP's electoral success has largely been to tap into that and provide a safe haven for such votes - and the breaking of Labour's domination of the Central Belt was a splendid outcome last May.

If that's the type of transformational outcomes that you're looking for, don't rely on independance to deliver it. It might provide a different platform to make the attempt, but that's a seperate ballgame entirely.

Good post Guy, i'm very surprised at the Scotsman publishing that, maybe it's slowly dawning on them that their plummeting sale's figures might have something to do with their political and anti Scottish Government stance (take note Hearld). Some of the people who posted comments under it were so right wing, they make oor JB sound like Tony Benn.

:lol: :lol:

Aaaaahhhh... the old Backscuttle, a man after my own heart :)

Living in Glasgow, you have to learn to adapt.

My link

Good Photoshop work by Willie Rennie. :lol:

:shocked::shok::confused1: Can't believe anyone in the glib-dems thought this would win them any credibility, let alone, voters.

:lol:

Willie Rennie or his toddler!

Aside from the toe-curling amateurishness of it, there is nothing factually accurate there at all.

Exactly!

Makes JB's posts seem almost* half-reasonable (ok, remove the zero and make that 5%) and with an occasional modicom of a point that could be taken seriously once in a blue (tory) moon.

*i did say 'almost'

:shocked::shok::confused1: Can't believe anyone in the glib-dems thought this would win them any credibility, let alone, voters.

Exactly!

Makes JB's posts seem almost* half-reasonable (ok, remove the zero and make that 5%) and with an occasional modicom of a point that could be taken seriously once in a blue (tory) moon.

*i did say 'almost'

:P

This from The Herald, is a belter. (Remember to hit Esc when it loads to skip the registration requirement).

Forsyth makes something up, his pal Lord Strathclyde replies in "Jane Austen speak" ("if it were true...it would be the most extraordinary event" :lol: ) and then Iain Gray, notwithstanding the fact that Fatty Strathclyde has just said that it is "a flight of fancy Mr Darcy" makes a statement on it as if it was gospel.

So, the Tories make something up, agree among themselves that it's a bit of kite flying and Labour take it as true. Labour then compound their idiocy by saying that they "need to see some clarity on what the First Minister suggested". Read my lips, Mr Gray... he suggested nothing, Forsyth made it all up.

Now I know that Eck was caught out last week at FMQs when he read out what was meant to be an extract from a letter, that turned out be one of his aides paraphrasing what someone had said they were going to say in a letter that they hadn't even written at the time... but this tissue of fabrication is an absolute belter.

:lol:

It gets more interesting...

Turns out that Gideon was threatened by His Great Clootie Dumplingness...

I couldn't believe that a scot could turn as native as this Alan Cochrane has, reading the link Honved put up was bad enough, but to go through some of his previous columns was shocking. I have never came across such a bitter, twisted, hateful, Scots loathing, pitiful excuse of a man in all my life ( and considering the other football fans in this city that is saying something).

As i have never bought the Telegraph before i was unaware of this weasel, but to make matters worse, i discover he's the editor of their Scottish edition.

I'm not a violent man but come the great day, i want to see this traitor swinging from the highest lamppost on Firhill Road. Now after reading his bilge i shall have to go for a shower.

By the way, how to adjust watches in Britain?

In Japan, I am using radio-wave watch which is automatically adjusted.

Is there the same system in Britain?

And is there a time phone in Britain? In Japan, by calling 117 there is a time announcement.

And what is the number for ambulance or police?

By the way, how to adjust watches in Britain?

With a windy thing.

In Japan, I am using radio-wave watch which is automatically adjusted.

Tou rock!

Is there the same system in Britain?

Dunno

And is there a time phone in Britain? In Japan, by calling 117 there is a time announcement.

Its 118 here as we are one better.

And what is the number for ambulance or police?

999 or 911

I couldn't believe that a scot could turn as native as this Alan Cochrane has, reading the link Honved put up was bad enough, but to go through some of his previous columns was shocking. I have never came across such a bitter, twisted, hateful, Scots loathing, pitiful excuse of a man in all my life ( and considering the other football fans in this city that is saying something).

As i have never bought the Telegraph before i was unaware of this weasel, but to make matters worse, i discover he's the editor of their Scottish edition.

I'm not a violent man but come the great day, i want to see this traitor swinging from the highest lamppost on Firhill Road. Now after reading his bilge i shall have to go for a shower.

What a loathsome, self-hating slug this Alan Cochrane character is. Outwith that, I find the Torygraph's approach strange. Its English edition regularly publishes articles lambasting Scots for allegedly being ungrateful, feckless scroungers; completely dependant on handouts from the rest of the UK (they really mean England though). Yet their Scottish edition completely puts the boot in to the one major political party who can ease the woes of "the rest of the UK" by removing Scotland from the union.

Surely they, and the rest of the English right-wing, should be agitating vigorously for Scottish independence? :thinking: