East Stirlingshire

Jaggernaut

Free entry for serving members of the armed forces, and veterans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-15275711

Should PTFC do this? If so, where should it stop? Free entry for off-duty/retired polis? Ambulance drivers? Carers? Mountain Rescue and Coastguard members?

Women's Institute? Salvation Army?

Edited to add: How could I forget?????:

Asylum seekers.

Edited by Jaggernaut

as soldier i am split on this, as much as i would like to get in for free i think it takes money away from the club.

i would be happy for any HM Forces who have been injured to get this but for the rest of us i think we should pay, unless its a one off for a regt thats just came back like the scots guards did.

and that should take in police, ambulance and the rest (if injured) for free

the Club had a policy of any returning local regiments being invited to Hospitality (and I believe still does) the take up was limited apart from the Scots Gaurds and some guys from the RHF (sorry JB cant get my head round the new structure).

Ref Police ,Fire Crew etc whilst they serve a valueable service where do you stop ,Doctors ,Binmen -my view is each Club supports its local Regiment or Supporters that are in the Armed Forces.

the Club had a policy of any returning local regiments being invited to Hospitality (and I believe still does) the take up was limited apart from the Scots Gaurds and some guys from the RHF (sorry JB cant get my head round the new structure).

Ref Police ,Fire Crew etc whilst they serve a valueable service where do you stop ,Doctors ,Binmen -my view is each Club supports its local Regiment or Supporters that are in the Armed Forces.

Students. (!!!)

My father in law is ex Army. Did National Service during the Korean War and got posted there. His ship sailed from Southampton, through the Suez Canal, to Yokohama where they got a chance to disembark for 12 hours shore leave. During that time, the ceasefire was agreed and after hanging around in Japan for a couple of weeks he sailed home without hearing a shot fired.

Anyway, the point is, as a result of his service, he got a place in an Erskine nursing home, so it wasn't all bad.

My father in law is ex Army. Did National Service during the Korean War and got posted there. His ship sailed from Southampton, through the Suez Canal, to Yokohama where they got a chance to disembark for 12 hours shore leave. During that time, the ceasefire was agreed and after hanging around in Japan for a couple of weeks he sailed home without hearing a shot fired.

Anyway, the point is, as a result of his service, he got a place in an Erskine nursing home, so it wasn't all bad.

:blink:

Exactly like an old school mate of mine. He joined the Scots Guards at 17, spent one day there and was given a medical discharge.

Yet to this day, he still uses the Scots Guards club in the west end of Edinburgh...

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, Jim. :thinking: Moving on from it, if fans want this for services people perhaps the club, as you suggest, ought to nominate its local regiments and make that public. They're the club's neighbours.

The sad thing is, of all the British services people I know, not one of them is interested in Thistle. There seems to be more interest in Thistle from the US forces.

I'm sure we've had this discussion before, Jim. :thinking: Moving on from it, if fans want this for services people perhaps the club, as you suggest, ought to nominate its local regiments and make that public. They're the club's neighbours.

The sad thing is, of all the British services people I know, not one of them is interested in Thistle. There seems to be more interest in Thistle from the US forces.

Now that is a cause for worry!

Free entry for serving members of the armed forces, and veterans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-15275711

Should PTFC do this? If so, where should it stop? Free entry for off-duty/retired polis? Ambulance drivers? Carers? Mountain Rescue and Coastguard members?

Women's Institute? Salvation Army?

Edited to add: How could I forget?????:

Asylum seekers.

Personally, I think all public sector workers should get in for free, or at least for a concession (they do this in Germany, apparently). I am biased, however. :)

This must be one of the unlikeliest propositions posted on this forum. <_<

There is an increased level of uncritical glorification of the Military, though at least not quite to American levels. Not all soldiers are heroes - there is no reason why they should all be given free entry to games at Firhill.

There is an increased level of uncritical glorification of the Military, though at least not quite to American levels. Not all soldiers are heroes - there is no reason why they should all be given free entry to games at Firhill.

agree and while we are at lets stop the the reductions for those wasters that cant get a job and the tax dodgers from uni and collage :thumbsup2::rolleyes:

I'm curious to know why you chose to quote my post rather than the OP. :thinking: Where is the uncritical glorification of the military, though not quite to American levels in this fans' forum? I must have missed it.

If the club decides there's a reason to grant services people free entry then that's that. Right now, it's just fans discussing the option. How dare we.