A Main Stand Enclosure?

brodieboy

Standing at Firhill  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Open an enclosure in front of the Main Stand?

• Yes, at whatever the cost / conditions
    • Yes, but only if it was cheaper
    • Yes, but only if it had a pie stall
    • No, but would appreciate the option
    • No, bad idea

OK, OK, so I've hijacked someone elses topic, but I thought this deserved a Poll...

Personally, I'd like the option (at the same cost) to be able to stand over there with 50-100 other folk if I was so inclined. The danger is that it became so popular that it was difficult to control - but then I suppose they could increase the prices if it really was that good!...

Also, call me over 'conditioned', but I'd need a toilet and a pie stall over there!

I hate to be a party pooper, but we don't own the main stand any more. Can anyone really see the Club spending money installing an enclosure within a building that they don't own, and can't say how long will remain in situ? I thought we were in a new age of fiscal prudence ...

(And for the pedents, yes, I know we own a non-controlling 50% stake in the company which does own the main stand, but the point remains the same.)

I hate to be a party pooper, but we don't own the main stand any more. Can anyone really see the Club spending money installing an enclosure within a building that they don't own, and can't say how long will remain in situ? I thought we were in a new age of fiscal prudence ...

(And for the pedents, yes, I know we own a non-controlling 50% stake in the company which does own the main stand, but the point remains the same.)

The enclosure is already there! We also already use the main stand for offices, changing rooms, Aitken Suite.... So "ownership" should not be a problem. Agreed that it's unlikely that the club would put any additional investment into it at this stage.

It was never a good view in the enclosure either although one of my happiest Firhill memories took place there, that 3-0 against that mob and I shook the messiah's hand as he walked back to the tunnel that day.

Yeah, used to be in there as a nipper whenever any of the two uglies came to Firhill. The steps going back are quite shallow, so if there are a lot of people then there's not much of a view. Would be OK with just a hundred or two folk, I'd reckon.

Interesting that a couple of people actually believe that it would be a "bad" idea to open the enclosure for people who might like to go there. Does that simply mean that they wouldn't personally go there? If it's only for others, then why is the very idea of it being brought back into use "bad"?

:unsure:

I voted that way. At a time when costs are constrained as tightly as they are I don't see the value in spending money (operationally) to make this happen. Also, the JHS is dilute enough without further dilution.

I'm not against stadiums having terracing per se, but would see this as a disadvantage in our current circumstances.

Having fans closer to the action on both sides would surely be good for the players. Also, for fans to feel like the club is affording them some options regards watching the team would go a long way.

I'd greatly prefer to be watching the game with the JH as a backdrop. Been watching from the JH, apart from a few Main Stand appearances, since 1994 and it's quite dull now.

Has anyone highlighted this thread to the club?

I voted that way. At a time when costs are constrained as tightly as they are I don't see the value in spending money (operationally) to make this happen. Also, the JHS is dilute enough without further dilution.

I'm not against stadiums having terracing per se, but would see this as a disadvantage in our current circumstances.

If it indeed meant incurring an operational cost that would not be recouped, then I'd agree.

In fact a reasonable option is missing from the poll: "Yes, but only if it didn't result in any loss of income to the club."

If it indeed meant incurring an operational cost that would not be recouped, then I'd agree.

In fact a reasonable option is missing from the poll: "Yes, but only if it didn't result in any loss of income to the club."

I'm not sure where any additional operational cost would come in. The enclosure is already in use for disabled spectators in wheelchairs. It's acually a disgrace that they can't have access to the Jackie Husband Stand to be amongst the rest of the fans. So it seems appropriate if some of them go over to the enclosure to join them.

When I started out at Firhill in 1968 I went to the enclosure and stood behind the dugouts. We even used to swap sides at half time jumping onto the track - you'd get shot for less these days!

What would be the views on, and this is only a suggestion, on taking out the seating at the top of the JHS at the bing end to create a sort of small terracing area above and between the two entrance ways? As long as there was a way that would avoid those standing restricting the view of those sitting further down the stand. :thinking:

I like the sound of unseating a space for 400 or so, up in the top section 1 of the JH. It'd maybe be costly though, as they'd need to reconcrete it because the drops between seats are larger than normal for a terrace. It works at morton, so why not thistle. Not like we don't have enough seats!

Yes, costly to do, for a couple of hundred people many of whom, presumably, would want to pay less than they currently do for the opportunity to sit or stand, as they like.

Where are we talking about here, the sections up the back where people already stand? Take away the seats from that area and we have a recipe for disaster on our hands. Lost count of the number of times the row of seats in front has stopped me falling forwards while celebrating a goal.

Where are we talking about here, the sections up the back where people already stand? Take away the seats from that area and we have a recipe for disaster on our hands. Lost count of the number of times the row of seats in front has stopped me falling forwards while celebrating a goal.

That's a valid point. To be honest, if you guys are wanting to stand and being allowed to do so then don't think there's a need for any changes.

Was just an idea. Although I would envisage having something like a traditional terracing barrier to stop any forward motion from exuberant celebrations. My thought process is that an area like this would mean people wouldn't be bound solely to their seat, and fans would be able to intermingle better thereby improving the atmosphere.

Season ticket wise the club used to have season tickets for the enclosure, I spent a couple of seasons in there before getting fed up and sitting on my lazy arse in the main stand, so I suppose you could have a specific standing area season ticket which would be slightly cheaper.

The standing area would only be available to those who had bought season tickets for it.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames :P

I'm not sure where any additional operational cost would come in. The enclosure is already in use for disabled spectators in wheelchairs. It's acually a disgrace that they can't have access to the Jackie Husband Stand to be amongst the rest of the fans. So it seems appropriate if some of them go over to the enclosure to join them.

Being one of those wheelchair users myself I feel I should give my opinion on this. I believe the club have a limit on the number of people who are allowed into the disabled section which is probably for health and safety reasons. But another problem I would have if the enclosure was filled with people standing is that I would have a very restricted view of the on-field action because all those standing are much taller than those of us sitting in wheelchairs and would block my view. At the moment I have to occassionally ask people to stand back a bit so I can see; if the enclosure was full of able-bodied people it would be impossible for everyone to stand back!

You make a good point Allan about us not being able to sit amongst the rest of the Jags fans. Having the disabled section in the enclosure has it's good points and bad points. Its great being able to be so close to the action on the pitch that you can sometimes hear what the players and referee are saying to each other, and I feel I get a better view sometimes than some fans get in the JH stand. But the negatives are that whenever there are big away supports they open up the main stand and it means I have to put up with being surrounded by opposition fans which isnt a great feeling especially when we are playing the old firm and you cant escape the "atmosphere" they create, so being able to sit in the JH stand would remove this issue. Another small gripe I have is that sometimes us fans sitting in the Main Stand are not acknowledged. For example when the U19s were parading their SFL Youth Cup trophy they only did it in front of the supporters in the JH stand, and PeeTee used to come over to the main stand enclosure to acknowledge us pre-match whereas the new mascot does not. As I say thats just a small gripe but it would be a nice gesture all the same.

I remember a couple of seasons ago Jim Alexander had mentioned to us in the main stand that there was talking of installing a lift in the JH stand so they could create a disabled section there, but I would imagine this would be a very costly exercise which wouldnt be feasible in the current economic climate.

Being one of those wheelchair users myself I feel I should give my opinion on this. I believe the club have a limit on the number of people who are allowed into the disabled section which is probably for health and safety reasons. But another problem I would have if the enclosure was filled with people standing is that I would have a very restricted view of the on-field action because all those standing are much taller than those of us sitting in wheelchairs and would block my view. At the moment I have to occassionally ask people to stand back a bit so I can see; if the enclosure was full of able-bodied people it would be impossible for everyone to stand back!

You make a good point Allan about us not being able to sit amongst the rest of the Jags fans. Having the disabled section in the enclosure has it's good points and bad points. Its great being able to be so close to the action on the pitch that you can sometimes hear what the players and referee are saying to each other, and I feel I get a better view sometimes than some fans get in the JH stand. But the negatives are that whenever there are big away supports they open up the main stand and it means I have to put up with being surrounded by opposition fans which isnt a great feeling especially when we are playing the old firm and you cant escape the "atmosphere" they create, so being able to sit in the JH stand would remove this issue. Another small gripe I have is that sometimes us fans sitting in the Main Stand are not acknowledged. For example when the U19s were parading their SFL Youth Cup trophy they only did it in front of the supporters in the JH stand, and PeeTee used to come over to the main stand enclosure to acknowledge us pre-match whereas the new mascot does not. As I say thats just a small gripe but it would be a nice gesture all the same.

I remember a couple of seasons ago Jim Alexander had mentioned to us in the main stand that there was talking of installing a lift in the JH stand so they could create a disabled section there, but I would imagine this would be a very costly exercise which wouldnt be feasible in the current economic climate.

Those are all reasonable points. But I'd reckon that a wheelchair-only section within the enclosure would be feasible alongside a number of standing supporters.