Happy 40Th Anniversary !

Camallain

I hope everybody at the What a Sensation night had a brilliant time. Too far away to be there but I enjoyed reliving the moment, the neighbours were wondering why I had red, yellow and black balloons all over the place as nobody in AFL plays in these colours, well they know now!

Congratulations and happy anniversary to all Thistle fans everywhere!

Dont think I will ever experience the feeling I had up the Rangers end at 4.50 that afternoon 40 years ago. Feeling of unbelievable joy and extreme sadness, the sadness being that my dad, who took me to my first jags game when I was 2, had died just four months earlier and was not there to celebrate with me. Being a jags fanatic, I am pretty sure he organised it though!!! :thumbsup2:

Edited by Lindau

Dont think I will ever experience the feeling I had up the Rangers end at 4.50 that afternoon 40 years ago. Feeling of unbelievable joy and extreme sadness, the sadness being that my dad, who took me to my first jags game when I was 2, had died just four months earlier and was not there to celebrate with me. Being a jags fanatic, I am pretty sure he organised it though!!! :thumbsup2:

:thumbsup2:

Excuse me, but it was the Thistle end that afternoon!

I've always wondered who was the fan that ran onto the pitch at the end of the game before the polis got to him.

Met an old friend yesterday in Tennents, a Jags man, I hadn't seen for a good while. He's well into his eighties now but was reminiscing about that great day as if it was just last week. Then last night there were loads of fans in attendance not even born back then. That game means so much to so many both old and young. :thumbsup2:

Met an old friend yesterday in Tennents, a Jags man, I hadn't seen for a good while. He's well into his eighties now but was reminiscing about that great day as if it was just last week. Then last night there were loads of fans in attendance not even born back then. That game means so much to so many both old and young. :thumbsup2:

I did think the mix of fans last night was really good. My wee boy loved all the jags songs, just ask anyone who witnessed his constant drumming either on chairs or my head, whilst on my shoulders. The kids getting to perform the guard of honor was a great touch.

With regards the videos we watched. Hope someone at the club keeps tabs on how the Ghana lads develop....you never know, the next jags legend could well be over there.

Excuse me, but it was the Thistle end that afternoon!

Agreed Jaggernaut, but is my memory hazy or did we just get the LHS of that end with the Sellik fans getting the other half? I was in the LHS of that end anyway. I was only 17 at the time but we had been in the Ingram Bar in Queen Street from opening time and I was eh...pretty well on!! We just got in as Alex Rae stroked that peach of a goal past Williams. After the game I met some Sellik mates in the Forum in Kelso Street, which was our local. They all knew my dad and they saw how emotional I was and everyone of them were as happy as they could be that we had won the cup. You certainly dont get that nowadays!!

Agreed Jaggernaut, but is my memory hazy or did we just get the LHS of that end with the Sellik fans getting the other half? I was in the LHS of that end anyway. I was only 17 at the time but we had been in the Ingram Bar in Queen Street from opening time and I was eh...pretty well on!! We just got in as Alex Rae stroked that peach of a goal past Williams. After the game I met some Sellik mates in the Forum in Kelso Street, which was our local. They all knew my dad and they saw how emotional I was and everyone of them were as happy as they could be that we had won the cup. You certainly dont get that nowadays!!

The huge Thistle "choir" was indeed in the left side of that terracing. However, there were plenty of Jags fans also in the stands, and in fact everywhere. On the video of match when you see the goals again in slow motion from another angle you can see the fans celebrating all over the place.

The huge Thistle "choir" was indeed in the left side of that terracing. However, there were plenty of Jags fans also in the stands, and in fact everywhere. On the video of match when you see the goals again in slow motion from another angle you can see the fans celebrating all over the place.

Yip, thats my memory as well...plenty in the main stand. Would imagine in the 61,500 crowd (I think) there was probably around 12-15,000 people there wanting the jags to win.....note I didnt say supporters!!! I was with 2 jags mates and a Rangers supporter mate from school who had a soft spot for us!!!

Hard to believe it was 40 years ago, but my God what a day it was!!!

Yip, thats my memory as well...plenty in the main stand. Would imagine in the 61,500 crowd (I think) there was probably around 12-15,000 people there wanting the jags to win.....note I didnt say supporters!!! I was with 2 jags mates and a Rangers supporter mate from school who had a soft spot for us!!!

Hard to believe it was 40 years ago, but my God what a day it was!!!

If I could re-live any single day, it would be that one.

I hope I've got this right, but as I remember it, there was no segregation as such in the ground that day. Our choir was to left, but there were Tims on either side and behind us. At half time, and through parts of the second half, it kicked off a bit with some of the less savoury elements of the great unwashed finding the reality simply too much for them to bear and wanting to take their frustrations out on Jags fans. :thumbdown: . Alas, that was nothing unusual in those days, as both tentacles of the Axis of Evil would think nothing of starting fights in the ground when things weren't going their way... and things certainly weren't going their way that day.

it kicked off a bit with some of the less savoury elements of the great unwashed finding the reality simply too much for them to bear and wanting to take their frustrations out on Jags fans. :thumbdown: . Alas, that was nothing unusual in those days, as both tentacles of the Axis of Evil would think nothing of starting fights in the ground when things weren't going their way... and things certainly weren't going their way that day.

I'm afraid I know exactly what you are talking about. Fortunately on the great day I was sitting in the main stand and encountered no problems but I experienced an example of what you are describing eleven years later at parkhead. Thistle had just gubbed the h*ns 2-0 in a mid week fixture at Firhill (Tony Higgins scoring in 27 seconds) and were following that up by leading 2-0 at parkhead when the great unwashed kicked off. Naturally the police got involved and surprise, surprise the tims started pointing at the Jags fans as if we were to blame. Yeah, were 2 up and we're going to start trouble. Naturally the police fell for it and as I recall dragged off a few Thistle fans who had the audacity to tell them that they had got it wrong.

As I recall Tony Higgins missed a sitter which would have put us 3 up and before we knew it it was 2-2. At the end of the day I was happy to get out of parkhead with a point an in one piece :thumbdown:

To be honest I always felt more threatened at Greyskull in those days. If we managed to get a result there you were threatened, spat upon and of course you were a phenian barsteward. Total opposite (for me anyway) at Porkheid where, in most instances, if we got a result and deserved it, you were told exactly that

Edited by Lindau

I'm afraid I know exactly what you are talking about. Fortunately on the great day I was sitting in the main stand and encountered no problems but I experienced an example of what you are describing eleven years later at parkhead. Thistle had just gubbed the h*ns 2-0 in a mid week fixture at Firhill (Tony Higgins scoring in 27 seconds) and were following that up by leading 2-0 at parkhead when the great unwashed kicked off. Naturally the police got involved and surprise, surprise the tims started pointing at the Jags fans as if we were to blame. Yeah, were 2 up and we're going to start trouble. Naturally the police fell for it and as I recall dragged off a few Thistle fans who had the audacity to tell them that they had got it wrong.

As I recall Tony Higgins missed a sitter which would have put us 3 up and before we knew it it was 2-2. At the end of the day I was happy to get out of parkhead with a point an in one piece :thumbdown:

To be honest I always felt more threatened at Greyskull in those days. If we managed to get a result there you were threatened, spat upon and of course you were a phenian barsteward. Total opposite (for me anyway) at Porkheid where, in most instances, if we got a result and deserved it, you were told exactly that

My old memories of matches, generally, against either of them was that they had a thing about taking over when they'd be at Firhill or, as discussed above, at Hampden in the case of the big day. At the 3-2 game against the blue cave residents at Firhill weeks before the great day, me and my wee pal (both aged 13) were threatened, spat at and chased by Hnus in their late 20s and 30s after the game - vile excuses for homo sapiens. When the Tims came to Firhill shortly after the great day, and although they beat us easily, they were simply horrible: a whole afternoon of intimidation, threats and general horribleness. In that particular game, we watched from the City end, near the old enclosure as the shed was totally taken over by them and the intimidation had started well before kick-off.

Things weren't much better at school and on the street at home. It just made you all the more of a diehard Thistle fan with a deep-rooted hatred of all things Old Firm. I do believe that might in some meaningful way be responsible for my attitude towards them to this day as I enjoy life in my mid-50s. FTOF!