My Firhill Match-Day Experience 2011

general george

When I was young and taken to Firhill I started off in the old enclosure, as I got older my old man and I stood on the city-end terracing for many years. I am old enough to remember the high wall. As I got older my mates and I became shed boys and as my old man became less fit we graduated back to the city end. For some reason we never stood on the north terracing, however we had the choice to do so if we wanted.

My mate who has been exiled in England came up especially for the game yesterday. His first visit to Firhill for four years. We made our way to the north-end of the JH where there is usually plenty of room, only to be ushered into an area full of young kids as the Ross County fans were being catered for in the area where we now usually sit.

What has happened to choice at Firhill? We are all now forced to sit in an soulless one-sided arena staring at a main stand we now don't own, a grassy bing that almost brings a tear to my eye when I think of the many happy years I spent standing there with my family and friends through thick-and-thin, supporting the Jags. How I loved Firhill.

After yesterday's game my mate stated that it would be another four years before he would be back, as for me they could lock the doors tomorrow and through away the keys and I couldn't care less.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was young and taken to Firhill I started off in the old enclosure, as I got older my old man and I stood on the city-end terracing for many years. I am old enough to remember the high wall. As I got older my mates and I became shed boys and as my old man became less fit we graduated back to the city end. For some reason we never stood on the north terracing, however we had the choice to do so if we wanted.

My mate who has been exiled in England came up especially for the game yesterday. His first visit to Firhill for four years. We made our way to the north-end of the JH where there is usually plenty of room, only to be ushered into an area full of young kids as the Ross County fans were being catered for in the area where we now usually sit.

What has happened to choice at Firhill? We are all now forced to sit in an soulless one-sided arena staring at a main stand we now don't own, a grassy bing that almost brings a tear to my eye when I think of the many happy years I spent standing there with my family and friends through thick-and-thin, supporting the Jags. How I loved Firhill.

After yesterday's game my mate stated that it would be another four years before he would be back, as for me they could lock the doors tomorrow and through away the keys and I couldn't care less.

Thing is , you did have a choice. If you didn't like the area you were in (the area that has been the family section for about four or five years), you could have moved to another area, within the JH.

Don't think there is anyone who posts on here is happy with the current state of the ground, but it didn't just happen over night. We've only been using the JH for the home support for years.

Thing is , you did have a choice. If you didn't like the area you were in (the area that has been the family section for about four or five years), you could have moved to another area, within the JH.

Don't think there is anyone who posts on here is happy with the current state of the ground, but it didn't just happen over night. We've only been using the JH for the home support for years.

And the away support when it suits, like yesterday. I agree with the OP.

I used to stand at the City end when I was a kid - which made me appreciate just how good Roughie was - so agree it is sad to see it now as a grassy bing.

However we are a club with a declining fan base and in a difficult financial climate, resulting in some very tough decisions having to be made to keep this club we all love going. Well excluding your good self who 'couldn't care less'. Now if we could somehow get 500 'couldn't care less' fans to turn up on a regular basis, maybe, just maybe things will improve for this club of ours.

Edited by Jagsfan58

I used to stand at the City end when I was a kid - which made me appreciate just how good Roughie was - so agree it is sad to see it now as a grassy bing.

However we are a club with a declining fan base and in a difficult financial climate, resulting in some very tough decisions having to be made to keep this club we all love going. Well excluding your good self who 'couldn't case less'. Now if we could somehow get 500 'couldn't care less' fans to turn up on a regular basis, maybe, just maybe things will improve for this club of ours.

As an ex city end fan i agree, as for the rest of your post :thumbsup2:

Edited by JAGZ1876

Another reason I suppose why the singing section can't be moved to that end of the JH.

I too am in general agreement with the OP tho' I know we're far from being alone re the soulless stuff.

Nowadays the standard of play on the park and the result seems so all important. OK it always was important but in times gone by even in defeat you could often leave the ground semi glad you went along.

Thing is, would you rather we opened the "away stand" and made a bigger loss at the game , or put the few County fans in the JH and at least try to soften the blow of the loss of revenue at the match.

some times the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Naff off then.

You're really greetin faced but I'd agree that Firhill is now a dump.

The matchday experience at almost all grounds has gone as football like society has become so sterilized its pish, don't shout or swear or stand up or smoke etc etc... this is the same for most pubs too. We as a society are becoming robots we are fast losing our characters and who made us what we are

I'm not too sure if there are many places I go to for the smoking and swearing when I can just stay at home and do that. ;) A point well made though. There are too few maddies in the stands and on the pitch these days.

Yet still we show up. Sometimes it's worth it.

Dundee last week was dfinitely worth it!

But from the outset yesterday at Firhill the atmosphere in the JH stand was morgue-like, pretty much like for much of the game against Falkirk too. It's almost as if the fans have been convinced/badgered into believing that we're not very exciting to watch. As I said in another thread, it's looking like the Morton match was due to them collapsing rather than us being brilliant to watch, and there's little to suggest that we can match that kind of performance (ours that is; Morton's never seems that far away.....).

Thing is, would you rather we opened the "away stand" and made a bigger loss at the game , or put the few County fans in the JH and at least try to soften the blow of the loss of revenue at the match.

some times the club are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Who else is there to blame but the club. The previous custodians have allowed the degeneration of a once great stadium to take place! Why not go the whole hog and let Propco have everything bar the JH stand if your worried about loss of revenue? Then in a couple of years they can then take over half of the JH stand etc, etc.

Who else is there to blame but the club. The previous custodians have allowed the degeneration of a once great stadium to take place! Why not go the whole hog and let Propco have everything bar the JH stand if your worried about loss of revenue? Then in a couple of years they can then take over half of the JH stand etc, etc.

The people who run the club run both halves of the property company, George. That, de facto, is the situation you allude to above. For reasons that I've raised on and off and that get mightily, mightily boring, the question is what they're going to do with all of it.

Fans will not settle until they're assured of the club's future either at Firhill or somewhere else or somewhere new. The property company doesn't have a developer for the land it owns so the uncertainty goes on.

Edited by McKennan

The people who run the club run both halves of the property company, George. That, de facto, is the situation you allude to above. For reasons that I've raised on and off and that get mightily, mightily boring, the question is what they're going to do with all of it.

Fans will not settle until they're assured of the club's future either at Firhill or somewhere else or somewhere new. The property company doesn't have a developer for the land it owns so the uncertainty goes on.

We'll all have to muddle on then in a sea of uncertainty!

if you are a true fan.. you would sit anywhere... silly post and move on