Paul Paton

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I maybe the only one, looking at this thread anyway, that thought Paton was pretty good at centre half on saturday. He isnt the biggest but he rarely lost the ball on the deck, I seen him track his man from the right side to the left in the second half and stuck a tackle in, using his LEFT foot. Now those who sit round about me know about my feelings about Paton, that he doesnt go past his man and I wish he would use his left foot more, but that aside he is solid defensively and with some guidance can make a very good player for us, but I feel we are his level.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fredthecheesecloth

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no 'personal' dislike of PP contained within my views. It would be very shallow of me to do that, I don't know the guy.

Have to agree with the original poster.

He's turned into a journeyman who is looking to do the bare minimum to earn his money. He knows we don't have any serious competition in that position which makes him untouchable. He doesn't seem eager to do go above and beyond for the team. Unfortunately there are too many like him in the squad just now.

I also don't like his attitude towards the fans.

For a professional footballer to be incapable of using his weaker foot, it's just unacceptable. How do I know he hasn't been working on it? Because he's just as sh*te with his left foot as he was 3 years ago!!!!

Well sure as hell after reading this thread he's bound to be throwing roses into the Jackie Husband at the next home game !

has it, where? people have comented that he dosent use it as much as some but not that he is the worst :thinking:

hey ho I just think people are having a dig for the sake of it or because they don't like him personally and I don't think anyone has the right to personally abuse him or any player when they are playing, I just cant see (apart from venting there spleen ) what good it does,.

next time you are at work get some passer by to stand and throw abuse at your/the company staff and see how well they do.

Who wrote that he's the worst? Certainly not me.

Like someone who posted above, I have absolutely nothing against Paton, and actually like the effort he puts in and most of his defensive play. But his one-footedness seems extreme to me, and it bugs me during matches. Am I wrong to have that reaction? I've never personally "abused" Paton (is criticizing what looks to spectators like a poor pass or an error now "abuse"?). What would you like to hear silence at matches, silence except for the occasional "Jolly good effort, there!"?

Your comment about getting somebody to throw abuse at work is nonsensical even by your standards. Professional football is a spectator sport in which the professionals get paid and accept most of the comments that get hurled in their direction. I very much doubt if they are as sensitive to "abuse" (which you didn't define) as you appear to be suggesting that they might.

Here's a question, jb: Is there any specific aspect of any Thistle player's game that you would like to see worked on in training?

Hi Jaggybunnet, better score you off my invite for a game of 5s, I don't like it when people give me nasties. I play a bit of football, and I usually play in goals. I used to be very weak diving to my left, but have recently improved (to a respectable level), and can now deal competently with shots to both sides. This was through applying myself during my 1 hour of football a week. Paul Paton is a professional, he trains probably 5 days of seven, maybe for about 4 hours? So thats maybe 20 hours a week he has to try to get a bit better.

When PP runs round the ball just to get it on his left, normally causing problems for others, its really not very ideal.

To the poster who put up the video of PP setting up a goal, well done. I could find you a video of Adam Strachan setting up a goal, and even witnessed Martin Grehan score a goal! This didn't make any of these players any good. If only the 'other' parts of the games were shown in the highlights, such as Paul Paton giving pointless abuse to his teammates, Paul Paton pointing at space, Paul Paton dithering while trying to work out how to not use his left foot, I could keep going.

Paul is not a scapegoat, he is a player who needs to up his game, improve his attitude, and take some responsibility for his own development.

Well put and totally agree, particularly with the bits in bold. Ive been saying the same thing for almost 2 years now, his one footedness is not the problem in itself, but he highlights it more by not playing to his strength. How many times do we see PP cut inside onto his left foot? How many times do we see PP try to take his man on and try heading for the byeline? For a right footed full-back who's left foot is almost just for standing on, you would think the second question would have a higher number than the first. Sadly not where Paton is concerned.

SPL quality? Aye right!

I think the complaints about Paton not beating his man are a tad unfair. He's a full-back, and one without any pace whatsoever - his primary job is to defend, and with no pace (which is not his fault) he's not going to run at his man and beat him the way Alan Hutton can, or even Aaron Sinclair for us sometimes can. That's not his game - he's a reasonably competent right-back at a Scottish First Division team who needs to work on his left foot a bit more. We could do better, we could do worse. I'm more alarmed by our lack of goals.

I think the complaints about Paton not beating his man are a tad unfair. He's a full-back, and one without any pace whatsoever - his primary job is to defend, and with no pace (which is not his fault) he's not going to run at his man and beat him the way Alan Hutton can, or even Aaron Sinclair for us sometimes can. That's not his game - he's a reasonably competent right-back at a Scottish First Division team who needs to work on his left foot a bit more. We could do better, we could do worse. I'm more alarmed by our lack of goals.

Careful, you'll get pelters on here for hurling abuse around like that!

I think in recent years we've had plenty of attacking left backs which has led us to feel that full backs have more attacking duties than defensive duties, especially as we've played three centre backs a lot over the past few years. If we're playing four at the back his main role is defensive, however in a 3-5-2 at wing back he needs to get forward too. It seems O'Donnell may be able to fit the wing back role though.

I think in recent years we've had plenty of attacking left backs which has led us to feel that full backs have more attacking duties than defensive duties, especially as we've played three centre backs a lot over the past few years. If we're playing four at the back his main role is defensive, however in a 3-5-2 at wing back he needs to get forward too. It seems O'Donnell may be able to fit the wing back role though.

On Saturday I didn't think any of the starting eleven had a bad game the faults being more collective than individual. O'Donnell didn't stand out at wingback but did enough to warrant inclusion next time we play 3-5-2. Paton did OK as a centreback but with Robertson back and Kinniburgh close to fitness I can't see Paul P playing there too often.

Paton's likely to still be first choice when four at the back but I doubt he'll be a preferred pick in a 3-5-2 and will be on the bench when we adopt that system.

no it is not pointless, my point was that he thought it was easy to use your other foot when its not

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here say it's easy - what they do say it can be worked on and professional players have plenty of time to do this if they're willing.

If you're playing four at the back you can play 2 full backs going forward if a defensive midfielder stays back as extra cover. If not another option is taking turns - one on the left goes forward, the right stays back. Later the right goes forward the left stays back. That way the opposition aren't sure who will come forward.

I seem to remember that Paton used to get past the defender a lot more in his first season. He would take the man on occasionally - not very good at it - but more often it was a case of the players inside him doing one-two's to let him run past the defender and onto the ball.

He doesn't do that any more. Don't know why. Loss of confidence so that he won't run looking for the pass? The way our team is set up to play now? Or has he just been told to sit back more now?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here say it's easy - what they do say it can be worked on and professional players have plenty of time to do this if they're willing.

If you're playing four at the back you can play 2 full backs going forward if a defensive midfielder stays back as extra cover. If not another option is taking turns - one on the left goes forward, the right stays back. Later the right goes forward the left stays back. That way the opposition aren't sure who will come forward.

I seem to remember that Paton used to get past the defender a lot more in his first season. He would take the man on occasionally - not very good at it - but more often it was a case of the players inside him doing one-two's to let him run past the defender and onto the ball.

He doesn't do that any more. Don't know why. Loss of confidence so that he won't run looking for the pass? The way our team is set up to play now? Or has he just been told to sit back more now?

Not sure how to answer that as all my discussion of tactics stems from what I hear on here. In the past we had plenty of deep lying forwards, so perhaps the one-twos came from the likes of Donnelly and now there is nobody making themselves available for the one-two. I imagine the correct answer is a combination of your suggestions though.