We Shouldn'T Make Any New Signings...

Mediocre Pundit

I think we all know we're skint. And I think we all know that one or two signing's won't win us the league. So why make any?

We're not going to get relegated - which is surely a very rare luxury in this league. So sign Sid, Hinch and Jaggy as coaches (Ass Manager in Jaggy's case) to further develop our youth and have a rebuilding season where we try and develop our younger players and see how they do.

Minimise cost, blood youngsters, finish mid-table and use the money that we save on a realistic title-push the following season, when our young players have the benefit of experience and another years development.

Surely much better than the alternative of always spending a bit more than we can afford, coming mid-table anyway and spunking money on useless short term diddies like Lovell and Shields?

Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all know we're skint. And I think we all know that one or two signing's won't win us the league. So why make any?

We're not going to get relegated - which is surely a very rare luxury in this league. So sign Sid, Hinch and Jaggy as coaches (Ass Manager in Jaggy's case) to further develop our youth and have a rebuilding season where we try and develop our younger players and see how they do.

Minimise cost, blood youngsters, finish mid-table and use the money that we save on a realistic title-push the following season, when our young players have the benefit of experience and another years development.

Surely much better than the alternative of always spending a bit more than we can afford, coming mid-table anyway and spunking money on useless short term diddies like Lovell and Shields?

Thoughts?

Not the craziest idea I've ever heard

Thoughts?

The most sensible post i have read on this forum yet :thumbsup2:

But no doubt the foam at the mouth mob will be out soon :rolleyes:

Would you rather see players like Shields, Lovell and Corcoran or players like MacBeth, Burns and McGeough?

I'd honestly rather watch a mid-table Thistle team of our youth than of journeymen. We won't win the league this year. We won't go up. So save money while making the product on the pitch a similar quality yet more attractive to the average Thistle fan.

Would you rather see players like Shields, Lovell and Corcoran or players like MacBeth, Burns and McGeough?

I'd honestly rather watch a mid-table Thistle team of our youth than of journeymen. We won't win the league this year. We won't go up. So save money while making the product on the pitch a similar quality yet more attractive to the average Thistle fan.

I didn't say I didn't agree with the idea (and I do as we need all the money we can get) but I just don't think it would work.

Thoughts?

I agree, but it would be very 'Thistle' to aim for a season like that and end up finishing 5th when next season could see the top 4 in the 1st div get promoted due to league reconstruction.

Lots of bravado. Blood the youngsters. We'll be happy with mid-table. Aye. Right. There have been squealing matches every year since god knows when about the calibre of player we're putting out, even with a 'respectable budget'. I can't see folk biting their tongues after 10 weeks of hammerings, no score draws and brave faces from management when we 'blood the youngsters'. No chance.

I've been saying something along the lines of Mediocre Pundit's post for a wee while. It might be a dangerous game to presume that Cowden & Stirling will definitely be cast adrift at the foot of the league but if that's indeed what happens and at the same time we're a distance off the top of the league then we'd be better off without new signings. That lower mid table position is the likeliest scenario after all.

I would make an exception for signing a goalie but that could maybe be part financed by a senior player leaving.

Biggest problem with no new signings would be dressing things up to make it look positive. Sadly I've no real faith in our stewardship to do that but I for one would like to see the youngsters play a much bigger part than in previous years.

edited to add that we should know the SPL status for season 11/12 before kick off but imo spending to try to get into an enlarged SPL would be silly. Sad as may be there's always the following season.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've been saying something along the lines of Mediocre Pundit's post for a wee while. It might be a dangerous game to presume that Cowden & Stirling will definitely be cast adrift at the foot of the league but if that's indeed what happens and at the same time we're a distance off the top of the league then we'd be better off without new signings. That lower mid table position is the likeliest scenario after all.

I would make an exception for signing a goalie but that could maybe be part financed by a senior player leaving.

Biggest problem with no new signings would be dressing things up to make it look positive. Sadly I've no real faith in our stewardship to do that but I for one would like to see the youngsters play a much bigger part than in previous years.

edited to add that we should know the SPL status for season 11/12 before kick off but imo spending to try to get into an enlarged SPL would be silly. Sad as may be there's always the following season.

You may say that, but things that were said at the MTMN for Centenary Fund members hinted that we would be part-time next season, or at least part part-time, which would seriously hamper any promotion bid. If it was 4 up this season, we would have to try for it, as after that it will go back to 1 up & a play-off, or something not much better than the current set-up making it just as hard to get promoted.

You may say that, but things that were said at the MTMN for Centenary Fund members hinted that we would be part-time next season, or at least part part-time, which would seriously hamper any promotion bid. If it was 4 up this season, we would have to try for it, as after that it will go back to 1 up & a play-off, or something not much better than the current set-up making it just as hard to get promoted.

If they haven't said it's 4 up this season by the start of the season, it won't be. You can't change the rules half way through the season...

Thoughts?

My thoughts are why would I bother turning up to watch a team that no chance of winning a winable league and have basically chucked it before a ball is kicked?

I'm all for giving the young guys a chance but throwing them to the wolves with no one to help them is going to set their development back. What they need is decent players who they can learn something from playing alongside.

I think it borders slighly on arrogance to assume we are safe because Cowdenbeath and Stirling Albion will be so bad, football is a funny game and you never know what will happen.

Additionally as someone alluded to earlier how patient would some of our fans be if we were in generally just preparing a season to finish 7th. Plus we must hope on a good cup win somewhere.

Really? Didn't Thistle spend a fortune taking the SPL to court over something like that? :thumbdown:

That's kind of why I put in the ellipsis.

Off topic - However I think the changing of the rules half way through the season would piss off a lot more teams if the SPL was expanded compared with us being relegated, as every current SPL club would lose games vs the Old Firm (which doesn't make that much cash nowadays, but the directors still won't advocate that change) and TV money would end up diluted.

My thoughts are why would I bother turning up to watch a team that no chance of winning a winable league and have basically chucked it before a ball is kicked?

I'm all for giving the young guys a chance but throwing them to the wolves with no one to help them is going to set their development back. What they need is decent players who they can learn something from playing alongside.

:huh: you do support thistle dont you Grant :thinking::P

Without new signings, folk will get fed up with the staleness and fail to bother turning up at Firhill.

We were lucky the season ended when it did last year or we might of ended up further down the table.

I suppose that's the risk we run but...

Who are you suggesting we sign? And...

How do we finance these signings?

I suppose that's the risk we run but...

Who are you suggesting we sign? And...

How do we finance these signings?

The departures of Tuffey and Lovell and co must have freed up some room on the wage list.

I'd also suggest binning the signing of McNamara as he's done.