Darren Cole In On Loan

Firhillista

The Old Firm 'divide' is a bit of an oxymoron, is it not? We're fond of saying they're the cheeks of the same arse.

I suspect there's no division when it comes to the great minds in their respective boardrooms. I'm unsure what goes on in the heads of some supporters.

I suspect Jackie will pull all the strings he can find. Wasn't there a coach at Celtic who quit to work with Sir Walter and Sally Mac a couple of years ago?

Kenny McDowall.

Don't you remember him playing for us in the early 1980s?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he not only 5'7?

This is taken from his player profile page on gers website.

NAISMITH was a member of Scotland's under-17 squad and despite his young age featured heavily for Rangers under-19s over a number of seasons.

The towering teen has has pace and skill and was an important player as Billy Kirkwood's side chased silverware.

Seen Naismith playing for the beath against Boness in the cup.Tall fast tricky winger, but against modest opposition.Find this signing suprising as we have O'donnell who can play here, especiallly if Cole comes in at right back

I wouldn't judge anyone on their performance against a Junior side given our recent cup wobble.

I'm not going to build these guys up too much, Hutton is a year older and had played a few games for the first team before coming here. Cole has played 1 CL game in an injury crisis and Naismith none. Plus our record of loanees (especially from the OF) is still more bad than good, I'd wager.

Hope I'm wrong, obviously!

Would Darren Cole be the first player to have played in the Champions League, and the lower leagues*, but to yet make an appearance in the SPL?

Can't think of any if you rephrase it to exclude the early stage of the Champions League.

Probably quite a few have played for an Irish side in the early stages in the Champions League and also played in SFL.. Don't know if Craig Sives ever played for Hearts in the SPL.but there's the legendary Gary Twigg and Chris Turner. All three are at Shamrock Rovers and I guess would've played in this season's CL.

Can't think of any if you rephrase it to exclude the early stage of the Champions League.

Probably quite a few have played for an Irish side in the early stages in the Champions League and also played in SFL.. Don't know if Craig Sives ever played for Hearts in the SPL.but there's the legendary Gary Twigg and Chris Turner. All three are at Shamrock Rovers and I guess would've played in this season's CL.

Completely forgot that Shamrock Rovers were in the Champions League.

I'm not going to build these guys up too much, Hutton is a year older and had played a few games for the first team before coming here. Cole has played 1 CL game in an injury crisis and Naismith none. Plus our record of loanees (especially from the OF) is still more bad than good, I'd wager.

Hope I'm wrong, obviously!

I've said something similar in the past but I'm not too sure I can back it up. I'd say Santala and Billy Gibson (as a loanee) along with Hutton were successful while Conroy was reasonable. True the lad Campbell just made up the numbers but in fairness I don't think he came to us with rave notices.

No arguing that Lennon was a disgrace but I can't think of any other OF loanees we've had in recent years that have been out and out let downs. In fact I can't think of any other OF loanees.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Away from Old firm, the young lad we got from Everton looked great in his first appearance. Think he got injured in his second and barely featured again.

Damon Gray was a loanee wasn't he? If so that one worked out well. Some of the short term loans worked out ok, but problem is, you don't get enough time to properly judge the player.

In my mind though we've had some real duff loanees the worse category of signings have been the more senior players who've either come to us with a great chance to resurrect their careers or the just passing thru brigade. Don't read on if you're weak of stomach or just about to have your tea............................................. ............................................................................................................. I'm talking about the likes of Greg Sheilds, Steve Lovell, Bryn Halliwell, Chris Turner, Paul Keegan, Thingy Mooc, and two real crackers Barry Smith & Alan Russell. :shocked:

Hutton aside, I'd say the best loan we've had was Peter Lindau.

I'd put Paul Tosh up there too, though we were at a very poor level at that time. I remember him doing well with us but wikipedia says he scored one in 10 games. I was sure he scored a hat-trick.

Sadly never saw Dorrans play for us but heard from a few people he was a great player.

Tosh ceratinly scored a few cup goals for us. Did he not score one of the two goals at Arbroath, in that never to be forgotten cup tie, with Dunn getting he other.

In my time of watching the Jags, I'd rate Lindau as our best loan.

Andy Wilkinson and Graham Dorrans. We taught them so well he ended up in the Premiership.

How the hell did I forget Dorrans, he was excellent. Thought Wilkinson was average in his time with us, didn't look any better than for example Billy Gibson at the time. But he's done well for himself.

How the hell did I forget Dorrans, he was excellent. Thought Wilkinson was average in his time with us, didn't look any better than for example Billy Gibson at the time. But he's done well for himself.

That's similar to my view on Wilkinson. He was definitely a grafter when with us, and he's definitely become harder since then. Definitely not out of his depth now in the Premiership. Definitely.