Irish Player?

ken1876

Is there any chance that the doubters can give our youth policy the time it needs to bring through some decent youngsters. It can take up to 5 years for a youth system to bear fruit.

Jackie said at the start of the season he felt that a lot of the young guys had been promoted to the first team a year too early and that they would benefit from being taken out of the firing line and be given coaching in the likes of tactical awareness away from the spotlight.

If they are good enough, I'm sure we'll see some of them featuring when they are good and ready...

Some people seem to have a very narrow view of what constitutes a youth policy. Surely, if we sign a young player to develop them to the next level, whether that's McAleer, O'Donnell or Sinclair, that's a constituent part of a youth policy that also seeks to develop youngsters through the clubs under-17, 19 teams.

Or is there some sort of unwritten rule that says you if you sign young players from elsewhere, it must mean that your own 'system' isn't working because it hasn't produced the next Hansen or Mojo in the very short time in which it has been operating?

Is there any chance that the doubters can give our youth policy the time it needs to bring through some decent youngsters. It can take up to 5 years for a youth system to bear fruit.

Jackie said at the start of the season he felt that a lot of the young guys had been promoted to the first team a year too early and that they would benefit from being taken out of the firing line and be given coaching in the likes of tactical awareness away from the spotlight.

If they are good enough, I'm sure we'll see some of them featuring when they are good and ready...

:thumbsup2:

I think you may be mistaken, Grant. To be fair that's what I (and probably everybody else in the room) thought he said in a detailed answer to a question from the floor. In fact evidently he said (and I have this in good authority from folk that weren't at that night) that he thinks our entire youth system is crap, doesn't rate any of our home produced players and from now on he'll be only signing youngsters from Northumberland and Belfast.

You may recall the microphone wasn't working that evening so it was perhaps easy to mishear the softly spoken Mr McNamara..

So better than any 18 year old we can produce or that we currently have???

Can someone please tell me the benefit of our youth system?

It allows us to give ex players and friends of the management team jobs as coaches. We are just helping the unemployment figures.

So better than any 18 year old we can produce or that we currently have???

Can someone please tell me the benefit of our youth system?

Without a youth system & youth teams we couldn't sign this guy as he wouldn't be able to get a game apart from bounce games & the odd reserve game, as well as not being able to train with players of a similar age & experience/ability. He'll be on buttons, if it doesn't work out not much lost.

I think you may be mistaken, Grant. To be fair that's what I (and probably everybody else in the room) thought he said in a detailed answer to a question from the floor. In fact evidently he said (and I have this in good authority from folk that weren't at that night) that he thinks our entire youth system is crap, doesn't rate any of our home produced players and from now on he'll be only signing youngsters from Northumberland and Belfast.

You may recall the microphone wasn't working that evening so it was perhaps easy to mishear the softly spoken Mr McNamara..

Grant is talking about when he was in edinburgh and i can confirm that was what he said. he also said that a few thought that because they had played a couple of 1st team games last season they were a shoe in for this season

Edited by jaggybunnet

Just in case the Ant Hill mob start, It wasn't me !