Just In

jonboy

Been home a while and calmed down now.

Where's the dig? Where's the realising the opposition are worse than us and hammering them? There's no fight. Your right the team was gutless.

I'm a fan of Archie but what use is it to have a captain who is the quietest man on the park?

Cole and O'Donnel playing side by side on the right of defence worries me, not enough experience there at all.

If Archie did nut Imrie the wee shit must have deserved it & if Dundee Utd think he is some sort of solution Houston is sure for the sack.

spot on - nae dig, nae desire and nae clue - would give my right arm to pull on that jersey and some of them can either no be arsed or don't have the ability - too many passengers to mention tonight game was there for the taking but after a shyte first half they obviously thought more of the same

... and nae doubt about big archie - the boys heid was burst open - behaviour unbecoming of the (totally frustrated) captain

Another poor show with another late goal to make Jags fans sick. We had one close effort in the entire game. Not good enough. A really poor Hamilton side decided to go for it once they knew we had run out of steam in the last 20 minutes. And when Jackie made two disastrous substitutions we all knew that that Hamilton would probably snatch it. The two new boys were good. Cole made a couple of mistakes but steadied himself and did well as a replacement for Balatoni. Naismith was in the Flannigan role and showed that he was considerably better than Flannigan. When he got substituted for Elliot we went downhill fast. But when Jackie, who had wastefully decided to play Cairney out wide, substituted Cairney for Tommy Stewart we lost any chance of getting anything from the game. Overall it was dire and with Archie now going to miss games tough games coming up things are looking gloomy.

Don't think I've ever cared LESS to concede a 89th minute losing goal. Most boring pile of keech ever. Two massively boring teams, neither of whom deserved us standing in a queue for 20 MINUTES and missing the first 15 mins of the game.

So boring, so poor, so never-going-to-score-even-if-we-played-on-for-another-three-fn-hours...

Edited by Watson Towers

How many games are we the better team in the first half and don't score? Therefore going in at half time considerably more tired than the opposition which kills us in the second half. This is every single game. I think the frustration comes because we can play football, that can be a good team, we just need to have a better mentality.

One positive comes from the two new lads, personally I thought they both did well for their first game. Also it is the first thistle team I have seen in a long time where I felt we had pace. Hopefully next week will see the same first team, I have faith.

p.s. Cairney for Stewart? Why oh why oh why......

Dire....clueless... players obviously knew that too, as not one acknowledgd what was a good turnout given previous recent performances.

Two new lads added nothing though to be fair, none really did. I'll reserve judgement for a couple of games to give them time. Cannot be easy coming into the team the at the moment.

We just don't look like scoring and need games to finish 5 mins early... don't know if can takes 0-0 with a few minutes left on the clock much more.

How many games are we the better team in the first half and don't score? Therefore going in at half time considerably more tired than the opposition which kills us in the second half. This is every single game. I think the frustration comes because we can play football, that can be a good team, we just need to have a better mentality.

One positive comes from the two new lads, personally I thought they both did well for their first game. Also it is the first thistle team I have seen in a long time where I felt we had pace. Hopefully next week will see the same first team, I have faith.

p.s. Cairney for Stewart? Why oh why oh why......

Cairney was gubbed he had run himself into the ground and the manager rightly gave him a rest. Not saying Tommy Stewart was the right man to replace him. Kieron Burns was a waste of a jersey tonite he is too lightweight and a defender of Mensings experience is never going to lose out to him. Hamilton were there for the taking and they knew it and resorted to trying to kick us not just off the park but all over it. the players got no protection from a totally inept referee (who i later found out reffed our recent game against raith rovers). Stonewall penalty denied in the first half when Doolan was hauled to the ground after turning the defender and a powder puff effort from close in that was cleared before it got anywhere near the line. Losing another late goal and losing 3 points is hard to take as we controlled the game for long periods. 2 new guys looked ok although Naismith was a bit quieter in 2nd half. Unless we start creating more chances we could well be looking down the table rather than up

Cairney was gubbed he had run himself into the ground and the manager rightly gave him a rest. Not saying Tommy Stewart was the right man to replace him. Kieron Burns was a waste of a jersey tonite he is too lightweight and a defender of Mensings experience is never going to lose out to him. Hamilton were there for the taking and they knew it and resorted to trying to kick us not just off the park but all over it. the players got no protection from a totally inept referee (who i later found out reffed our recent game against raith rovers). Stonewall penalty denied in the first half when Doolan was hauled to the ground after turning the defender and a powder puff effort from close in that was cleared before it got anywhere near the line. Losing another late goal and losing 3 points is hard to take as we controlled the game for long periods. 2 new guys looked ok although Naismith was a bit quieter in 2nd half. Unless we start creating more chances we could well be looking down the table rather than up

Not biased, honest g'uv.

Dire....clueless... players obviously knew that too, as not one acknowledgd what was a good turnout given previous recent performances.

Two new lads added nothing though to be fair, none really did. I'll reserve judgement for a couple of games to give them time. Cannot be easy coming into the team the at the moment.

We just don't look like scoring and need games to finish 5 mins early... don't know if can takes 0-0 with a few minutes left on the clock much more.

Paton did.

Came to the conclusion it's not us who are sh!te, it's football in general. Hamilton were garbage, another anti football team although at least they're set up to mount some kind of counter attack. Ref was clueless and let them away with murder, but didnt see the Archie incident. If he has elbowed him or headered him he should be stripped of the Captaincy, in that situation, one down with minutes to go you need your captain to keep a level head and encourage the others to keep going.

Fed up watching crap football, and have come to accept that despite wanting to play football the right way, we need to get a bit of sheer grit and determination included into our play. 1st div is no place for 'continental football' :(

Paton did.

Came to the conclusion it's not us who are sh!te, it's football in general. Hamilton were garbage, another anti football team although at least they're set up to mount some kind of counter attack. Ref was clueless and let them away with murder, but didnt see the Archie incident. If he has elbowed him or headered him he should be stripped of the Captaincy, in that situation, one down with minutes to go you need your captain to keep a level head and encourage the others to keep going.

Fed up watching crap football, and have come to accept that despite wanting to play football the right way, we need to get a bit of sheer grit and determination included into our play. 1st div is no place for 'continental football' :(

Maybe I was too surprised at Foxy not ever turning around I missed Paton, fair play to him.

Much like Saturday, I thought we were the better footballing side without creating any chances. We will continue to draw / lose games if we do not start creating even half chances. Its all about opinions and dont grudge anyone theirs but I honestly cannot see the logic in even considering sacking Jackie. If we are no better this time next year then perhaps we could consider a change in management but until then id persevere. He is clearly a rookie manager though and is making mistakes, it is his ability to learn from these mistakes that he should be judged on. I still feel that the team is lacking a real leader on the park. I love Archie and consider him a Thistle legend but he has never been the type of player to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them through the game.

Positives first - Was pleased to see that Jackie was prepared to admit his mistake from saturday of playing Flannigan and dropped him completely from the 16. He shouldnt get near a Thistle jersey again. I though Naismith looked decent with a good bit of football about him and he beat his man a good few times in the first half. Cole was ok but tired considerably at the end.

Negatives - Our inability to create any goalscoring chances. We are crying out for a bit of creativity in the middle of the park. Strikers are not going to score by continually coming deep for the ball. Can we please lay to rest all notion that Kieran Burns is any sort of footballer? He is far too lightweight and looked completely disinterested after about 10 minutes having realised he wasnt going to get a sniff against Mensing. Burns visibly chucked it in just about every 50/50 he should have been involved in. It has to be said that this was a masive misjudgement by McNamara to play Burns against Mensing. Someone suggested a week or two ago that we should consider starting with Burns and Fraser... Lunacy! Burns is hopeless and Fraser, a headless chicken. If our youngsters are clearly not good enough then we must accept that and move on. Paul Cairney has to be moved back into the centre of the park as hee is wasted wide. As soon as the Hamilton defence had realised that he would be cutting inside all the time he was far less effective. I like Stephen O'Donnell and reckon he is, potentially, a decent player but he is clearly very low on confidence and should be dropped for a couple of games to give him a break. He panicked nearly every time the ball came near him and this almost cost us a few times.

All in all (and i know some will find this ridiculous) I still dont think we are massively far away from being a decent side. If we could get a striker and a creative attacking midfielder then we would be causing teams a lot of problems. As it is, we lack any sort of link between midfield and attack and do threaten opposing defences at all.

Edited by Gonzaga

Much like Saturday, I thought we were the better footballing side without creating any chances. We will continue to draw / lose games if we do not start creating even half chances. Its all about opinions and dont grudge anyone theirs but I honestly cannot see the logic in even considering sacking Jackie. If we are no better this time next year then perhaps we could consider a change in management but until then id persevere. He is clearly a rookie manager though and is making mistakes, it is his ability to learn from these mistakes that he should be judged on. I still feel that the team is lacking a real leader on the park. I love Archie and consider him a Thistle legend but he has never been the type of player to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them through the game.

Positives first - Was pleased to see that Jackie was prepared to admit his mistake from saturday of playing Flannigan and dropped him completely from the 16. He shouldnt get near a Thistle jersey again. I though Naismith looked decent with a good bit of football about him and he beat his man a good few times in the first half. Cole was ok but tired considerably at the end.

Negatives - Our inability to create any goalscoring chances. We are crying out for a bit of creativity in the middle of the park. Strikers are not going to score by continually coming deep for the ball. Can we please lay to rest all notion that Kieran Burns is any sort of footballer? He is far too lightweight and looked completely disinterested after about 10 minutes having realised he wasnt going to get a sniff against Mensing. Burns visibly chucked it in just about every 50/50 he should have been involved in. It has to be said that this was a masive misjudgement by McNamara to play Burns against Mensing. Someone suggested a week or two ago that we should consider starting with Burns and Fraser... Lunacy! Burns is hopeless and Fraser a headless chicken. If our youngsters are clearly not good enough then we must accept that and move on. Paul Cairney has to be moved back into the centre of the park. he is wasted wide and as soon as the Hamilton defence had realised he would be cutting inside all the time he was far less effective. I like Stephen O'Donnell and reckon he is, potentially, a decent player but he is clearly very low on confidence and should be dropped for a couple of games to give him a break. He panicked nearly every time the ball came near him and this almost cost us a few times.

All in all (and i know some will find this ridiculous) I still dont think we are massively far away from being a decent side. If we could get a striker and a creative attacking midfielder then we would be causing teams a lot of problems. As it is, we lack any sort of link between midfield and attack and do threaten opposing defences at all.

Great post, totally agree with all of it.

Never too bothered whether we draw or lose a league match when we don't score a goal and never look likely to do so. Folk that weren't there tonight might naturally think that we fell into some Accies sucker punch or Billy Reid won some tactical battle. Truth is that Hamilton are every bit as dire as us and looked even more content to come away with a goalless draw tonight.

Our lack of cutting edge is now at such a low state that we can't get results against a team that hasn't even the will to win. There was a time in the 2nd half, (early to mid way thru) when.their defence and defensive midfield (Mensing excluded) were in total disarray yet we couldn't.even force our way thru a shower of bottlers to get one shot on target or even worry Cerny. We could have stretched them by going wide but didn't. We could've run at them thru the middle but didn't.

I know fans will suggest that there's an obvious lack of motivation and blame the manager. That's a natural response and justified to a degree but questions have to be asked of the players on the field. If you agree with that then you probably will agree that those questions asked should first start with the more senior players. Lambie was forever saying every team needs a bampot, a bit of a nutter who'll mix it where others will back away. I don't for a minute believe he was meaning a mild mannered captain who plays adequately if rather ineffectively thru the best part of ninety minutes only to get riled after the game's all but lost.

Above may well be disjointed but I'm not long in from pub so apologies in advance. :(

I still feel that the team is lacking a real leader on the park. I love Archie and consider him a Thistle legend but he has never been the type of player to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them through the game.....

....Lambie was forever saying every team needs a bampot, a bit of a nutter who'll mix it where others will back away. I don't for a minute believe he was meaning a mild mannered captain who plays adequately if rather ineffectively thru the best part of ninety minutes only to get riled after the game's all but lost.....

As has been pointed out repeatedly on this forum, there is no "heart", "grit" or whatever you might like to call it, in the current team. Scott "Boab" McCulloch and Martin Hardie are the last players I can remember to offer that.

....If we could get a striker and a creative attacking midfielder then we would be causing teams a lot of problems. As it is, we lack any sort of link between midfield and attack and do threaten opposing defences at all.

At the match against Livingstone, O'Donnell came on at right midfield and was very impressive. This showed that the team does have what's needed in midfield, but unfortunately Paton's failings at right back have meant that O'Donnell has been moved to plug that gap. (Yes, I know that O'Donnell was touted as a right back, but it is clear that he is more comfortable and more effective coming forward than in defending.)

Doing without Archie, following his red card, may be a help in midfield, since we won't have such a dire need to allocate someone to cover central defence from there. In effect, Paton has been pulled to the centre and we've gone back to playing 5-3-2 so that the central defence doesn't get too exposed by the slow, easygoing "leader" of defence.

Edited by Fearchar

I think after archie's red card tonight, Jackie should use this an opportunity to find a settled back four without Archie. As many have already said in recent weeks he has been a fine servant to the club but he is clearly past it and too slow for this division. Also, I lost count tonight of how many times he just hoofed the ball up the park when he had time on the ball to pick out a team-mate.

There is a good team there, but only just. Nothing on the bench at all really apart from Erskine who, after the first 5 mins of being, on did nothing.

Also has anyone else noticed how crap sinclair is now? I think he has always lacked the final ball in his game but at least he used to be involved, i'd bite anyones hand off for a penny for him.

When Archie is back:

.........................Fox..........................

O'Donnell.....Cole.....Archie......Sinclair

........................Paton..........................

Naismith...Rowson...Cairney....Erskine....

........................Doolan.........................

Edited by read'n'yell