Iain Flannigan Leaves...

elevenone

Reprted on the official site as Flannigan asked to leave GI, so not a case of Jackie trimming. Maybe free up a wage to bring Conrad back though?

I think that would be a big maybe. I'm sure the wage bill will be trimmed sufficiently to accommodate Balatoni but with the Warriors/Sangs double whammy I can't see Jackie getting the funds.

I do tho' find Lindsay going out on loan slightly surprising. I assume he can't be recalled in an emergency and I think it's not that unlikely that one could occur. If Sinclair picks up an injury/suspension we're really not covered in left sided defence. Jamie Campbell covered at right back for Paton last season but I'm not aware of youngster other than Sinclair that could cover for left back. Given that Archie is no stranger to the treatment table we could end up with a very unbalanced defence. .

Aye, I see that now. Asking to be released half-way through a contract does seem odd to me though.

it allows him to become a free agent and have the freedom sign for another club outside the transfer window. Perhaps he had an approach from another club who could not afford a fee for him.

I think that would be a big maybe. I'm sure the wage bill will be trimmed sufficiently to accommodate Balatoni but with the Warriors/Sangs double whammy I can't see Jackie getting the funds.

I do tho' find Lindsay going out on loan slightly surprising. I assume he can't be recalled in an emergency and I think it's not that unlikely that one could occur. If Sinclair picks up an injury/suspension we're really not covered in left sided defence. Jamie Campbell covered at right back for Paton last season but I'm not aware of youngster other than Sinclair that could cover for left back. Given that Archie is no stranger to the treatment table we could end up with a very unbalanced defence. .

I was also surprised for the same reasons. There is no sign of new young defender coming through to challenge for a place in the squad. Could Cole or Robertson play at left-back?

it allows him to become a free agent and have the freedom sign for another club outside the transfer window. Perhaps he had an approach from another club who could not afford a fee for him.

That must be it then. I doubt Flannigan was being paid enough to enable him to walk away from a contract without having something else in the pipeline first. Either that or he has won the lottery!

I was also surprised for the same reasons. There is no sign of new young defender coming through to challenge for a place in the squad. Could Cole or Robertson play at left-back?

Robertson is a definite no. Cole moved over to left centre but I doubt he'd be played left back. Even if O'Donnell played there then Paton would have to be withdrawn from a position he's important in. For all his faults Hodge last season could stand in for Boyle but none of our other lefties this season have any defensive qualities.

If Sinclair avoids injury or suspension then the benefit of having Lindsay playing regular football will be of great worth but looks to me as a fair gamble.

Iain Flannagan is the worst kind of footballer.

One that has obvious ability, but absolutely no desire.

Far too many of these type of journeymen kicking about

That's perhaps a bit harsh but to a degree correct. I watched Flannigan pre season before he joined and thought we had made a cracking signing. It wasn't just ability but the way he got about the field, vocal too. Saw him in at least one reserve match, same thing. You could easily be forgiven for thinking he was team captain.

He obviously has great difficulty taking his form in training onto the pitch for real. If he ever gets his act together he could be a very decent signing for some club. Until then he'll struggle to get competitive games in any division.