Falkirk

One t in Scotland

Still, £400k in for two players. We can only dream of that at the moment. I definitely think youth is the way forward for us (especially if budget being cut further next year) but the worry is whether our youth players are ready. For example, next season could see a team of: Fox, O'Donnell, Kinniburgh, Lindsay, Sinclair, Bannigan, Rowson, MacBeth, Erskine, Doolan, Elliott, with Scully, Campbell and God knows what else on the bench. Ignoring the question of squad depth, would that XI have the quality to keep us in this division? I have doubts...

none of our youngsters are up to it besides scully, can you see a team paying £300,000 for Bannigan?

Right now I'd accept them being credible first team players who would do a good job in the team next season. Still have hope that Lindsay/Bannigan/MacBeth/Campbell can do that. Not sure about the rest.

If one of them turned out to be good enough to get money for then that would be a bonus.

Too much emphasis is placed on the youngsters in and around the first team. Yes, they were the first batch to progress to the first team but the youth structure had barely been set up. It won't be fair to judge the importance of the youth structure at the club based on the first couple of years, where some of the first batch of youngers players are either just under 20 or turning 20.

It could be two, three, four, fives years before we see the benefits and possible financial rewards. All the great work Britton and the other coaches have done so far for the under 13's, 15s and 17s would be wasted if we just chucked it completely. We could have a right good prospect right now, who is 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 years old and is with us because the club gave him an opportunity to play.

The Old Firm and other clubs in Scotland release youngsters deemed not good enough. Look at Mark Millar at Falkirk for example, they gave him a chance and he could have been away in this transfer window to Blackpool. There's other examples too.

Partick Thistle Football Club has to have a youth system. Simple as that.

Edited by northernsoul

The Old Firm and other clubs in Scotland release youngsters deemed not good enough. Look at Mark Millar at Falkirk for example, they gave him a chance and he could have been away in this transfer window to Blackpool. There's other examples too.

EG: David Barron?

Deemed not good enough by the Dick... St Mirren took him and he's been there since. Plays either right or left back, centre half, and now plays in the holding midfield roll, with Goodwin injured.

Cracking business by Falkirk. Pressley is doing an admirable job there - he must be possessed because I'm finding myself actually enjoying listening to his insights. £300k plus £400k in potential add-ons for a player who has played half a season of professional football is an excellent deal and it was a shrewd move to ensure any agreement included a loan-back clause.

Losing Higginbotham will be a big blow to their title hopes but, if the ever-reliable Pie and Bovril is to be believed, Willie Gibson may be arriving as his replacement which would be a decent substitute.

Cracking business by Falkirk. Pressley is doing an admirable job there - he must be possessed because I'm finding myself actually enjoying listening to his insights. £300k plus £400k in potential add-ons for a player who has played half a season of professional football is an excellent deal and it was a shrewd move to ensure any agreement included a loan-back clause.

Losing Higginbotham will be a big blow to their title hopes but, if the ever-reliable Pie and Bovril is to be believed, Willie Gibson may be arriving as his replacement which would be a decent substitute.

And my first division fantasy team!

Our youngsters are mince. They've had years to prove they are good enough too and break into some really average teams, and failed like the diddies tipped up before them. Falkirk have a terrific academy facility at Stirling Uni, which we cannot touch in terms of facilities. Time to bin the youths, Bannigan aside, who really isn't anything special, the rest are pish. Please don't say Jamie Campbell either, hes having a horror show a division down and Fraser is an overweight carthorse.

Edited by MWM

We won't be able to sell them on if they aren't in the shop window, I bet that Wallace kid has had his ups and downs but it looks like he was given a regular shot at it instead of being farmed out to a lower league team, getting the odd 5 minutes here and there and wasting the rest of his time watching from the stands or warming up behind the goal.

Still, £400k in for two players. We can only dream of that at the moment. I definitely think youth is the way forward for us (especially if budget being cut further next year) but the worry is whether our youth players are ready. For example, next season could see a team of: Fox, O'Donnell, Kinniburgh, Lindsay, Sinclair, Bannigan, Rowson, MacBeth, Erskine, Doolan, Elliott, with Scully, Campbell and God knows what else on the bench. Ignoring the question of squad depth, would that XI have the quality to keep us in this division? I have doubts...

O'Donnell and McBeth who are out of contract in May. Would you give them new deals? You also assume that Paton and Cairney will move on but they may choose to stay. Stewart, Robertson, Burns, Stevenson and Ketterer are out of contract. There should be scope to bring in some new players and a couple of loanees.

Too much emphasis is placed on the youngsters in and around the first team. Yes, they were the first batch to progress to the first team but the youth structure had barely been set up. It won't be fair to judge the importance of the youth structure at the club based on the first couple of years, where some of the first batch of youngers players are either just under 20 or turning 20.

It could be two, three, four, fives years before we see the benefits and possible financial rewards. All the great work Britton and the other coaches have done so far for the under 13's, 15s and 17s would be wasted if we just chucked it completely. We could have a right good prospect right now, who is 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 years old and is with us because the club gave him an opportunity to play.

Partick Thistle Football Club has to have a youth system. Simple as that.

In theory, I would love to agree with you. In practice, we have several young players who are not, or rarely, in the first-team squad. Instead, Jackie has recruited young players of similar age from other clubs.

The big question is whether our youth system can deliver first-team players. If not, it is an unaffordable luxury as we have to budget for the loss of the Warriors' money next season.

In theory, I would love to agree with you. In practice, we have several young players who are not, or rarely, in the first-team squad. Instead, Jackie has recruited young players of similar age from other clubs.

I can't say I've used this smiley more than once or twice before but in this case it's surely warranted :wall: .

EG: David Barron?

Deemed not good enough by the Dick... St Mirren took him and he's been there since. Plays either right or left back, centre half, and now plays in the holding midfield roll, with Goodwin injured.

Season ticket for the buddies next season big man??? becoming far too informed about the paisley plamfs for my liking!!!

Season ticket for the buddies next season big man??? becoming far too informed about the paisley plamfs for my liking!!!

No mate, I get first dibs on any one of god knows how many, if someone's missing a game, so no point shelling out. Haha

If I remove my tongue from cheek... I've always kept an eye on barron's career, thought he was a great prospect for us.

In a time when my dad and I were going to watch the reserves every week because it was more pleasurable than the first team, Barron was a stand out at right back.

My main memory being up at Stenny one night, we gave them a roasting maybe scoring 6 or 7. I don't think the Dick saw any of the match as him and brown mcmaster walked the touchline discussing the Fulton/dowie/Mitchell fiasco.

I think that was fultons last game for us, that night.

No mate, I get first dibs on any one of god knows how many, if someone's missing a game, so no point shelling out. Haha

If I remove my tongue from cheek... I've always kept an eye on barron's career, thought he was a great prospect for us.

In a time when my dad and I were going to watch the reserves every week because it was more pleasurable than the first team, Barron was a stand out at right back.

My main memory being up at Stenny one night, we gave them a roasting maybe scoring 6 or 7. I don't think the Dick saw any of the match as him and brown mcmaster walked the touchline discussing the Fulton/dowie/Mitchell fiasco.

I think that was fultons last game for us, that night.

What a sad way to bow out. The bulk of the fans never got the opportunity to show their appreciation for the big man's undoubted contribution to PTFC.