Season Ticket Holders

Trotter

1. Value for money has gone, miss a game almost and season ticket costs you money.

2. No cup games, even Div 1-3 diddy cup.

3. Cup game comes around and season ticket holders neither can purchase their own seat or get 1st priority on away allocations.

4. Changing games at last minute to Friday night (not the board's fault I know)

5. Vouchers at the back of the book are ok but most, including the Warriors ticket, have a shelf life that doesn't last to even the end of the football season.

6. With the advent of Football Bloggers etc these guys turn up and get passes in for nothing despite having no real interest in PTFC (nor would they be there if there team playing that same time). Check the press benches.

7. Quality on the park is substandard and has been for many years.

8. Catering, though better than what it was, is substandard and expensive.

9. Times are difficult for everyone but hang around long enough, pay at the gate week in week out and you'll save money than forking out the full price on a season ticket.

A rant, yes. However, I know for a fact that i'm not the only one. I'm fully aware that times are difficult for our football club but over the past 38 years my season ticket has been rendered worthless. It's not enough for it to be a labour of love anymore.

Money's tight for everyone but as I said in the final reason i'd be better turning up week in, week out and paying at the gate.

I know the 12 year olds will come on here and moan back at me but trust me lads been there, done that and it's wearing thin for me now like it already has done for so many.

Yes, because anyone who disagrees with you must be a silly little 12 year old.

I'm sure everyone on here will agree more needs to be done to incentivise season ticket purchases, however things need to be done to attract new/lapsed fans too, and they certainly won't be buying season tickets if they aren't going to any games currently.

Sometimes money can be short from month to month e.g. Unexpected bills. Buying a season ticket means you never have to miss a game for that reason.

Or if you plan to go to all home games then a season ticket is worth the money.

I dont understand the reasoning that season tickets should be bought simply to help the club out, knowing that you will not make it to enough games to break even. In my opinion the club is not a charity and isn't being run like one so why treat it like one? I for one would not buy a season ticket knowing that I was going to miss 5 or 6 games, but I may be interested in buying a 10 match block at the start of the season.

Sad thing is that until the product on the park improves you wont see an increase in crowds but unless the crowds improve you wont see an improvement on the park. Glad it's not me who has to make these decisions.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I've never bought a season ticket because it saved me money, I've always bought one as a donation to the club I love, which just happens to come with a bonus of free entry to some games...season tickets allow clubs to better budget for squads v's pay-at-the-gate...

I do, though, appreciate that money is tight so fair play to those who feel pay at the gate offers better value for money, but if value for money is what you're looking for, there is an argument that 17quid at Firhill is a rip-off!! :happy2:

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I've never bought a season ticket because it saved me money, I've always bought one as a donation to the club I love, which just happens to come with a bonus of free entry to some games...season tickets allow clubs to better budget for squads v's pay-at-the-gate...

I do, though, appreciate that money is tight so fair play to those who feel pay at the gate offers better value for money, but if value for money is what you're looking for, there is an argument that 17quid at Firhill is a rip-off!! :happy2:

I completely agree with you Kenny, I never make full use of my season ticket - missed many home games for a period this season with my wedding planning, work etc. Like you I have never been one to buy a season ticket to save me money and I am all for the club incentives if it helps get more people through the door. At the end of the day its all about opinions though and I guess wouldnt be much of a forum if everyone agreed with everyone else all the time.

I buy mine as it suits me to pay for games that way. Years ago I got into the habit of putting £20 away every month to cover my season ticket and ive done it every year for approx 20 years.

The club needs to look at incentives to purchase season tickets though as they really dont offer the best value for money. Id look at adding one cup game onto them for starters and some "added value" things like events that only season ticket holders can attend, discounts for hospitality etc (although these are offered now and again why not have a voucher in the book for a discount for 4 people of £X or something like that)

We all spend money on things that could be argued are not value for money. I could probably get my shopping cheaper if I bought it in a different supermarket, could probably get cheaper clothes if I shopped in Primark etc. I spend where I spend because it's a nicer experience.

It gives me pleasure going to see Thistle and i'm proud to say i'm a season ticket holder.

I spend £10 a month on the Centenery Fund, but have won nothing, ever. I don't expect to get my money back.

I'm not making judgements - I'd be happy if our season ticket holder numbers didn't change and an extra 1000 supporters turned up week-in, week-out and paid £17 at the gate.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I've never bought a season ticket because it saved me money, I've always bought one as a donation to the club I love, which just happens to come with a bonus of free entry to some games...season tickets allow clubs to better budget for squads v's pay-at-the-gate... I do, though, appreciate that money is tight so fair play to those who feel pay at the gate offers better value for money, but if value for money is what you're looking for, there is an argument that 17quid at Firhill is a rip-off!! :happy2:

Although that is admirable and is a perspective that I'm sure a few fans adopt, it is the very reason why the season ticket is fundamentally worthless, in my opinion. I feel that Thistle, and football clubs in general, have become extremely presumptous with respect to supporters paying for season tickets and, I suppose, we have to take a share of the blame for the fact that a ticket offers little in the way of incentives as we have continued to buy them.

I suggest it doesn't matter that much the why you buy a season ticket. If it became obvious the Club were expecting you to buy an ST purely out of straight loyalty sales would tail off. Beattie's no mug and I don't think it'll come to that..

The Club's skint so no one should be expecting things for nothing with their annual purchase. What I and I should imagine many others would expect is some discounts and offers based on incremental sales. Discounts on hospitality packages or special days hospitality like the one for the Livi game, that sort of offer. That won't cost the Club and would help generate ST sales if promoted at time of issue. ..

The OP answered his own question. If you miss a game it isn't worth it ,but if you make them all then you do save money. So, if you think you are going to miss some, then it is purely a judgement call ,no one can force you to buy it. I haven't made them all,but usually lend it to another fan. Yip,could argue it does the club out of a ticket, but people are struggling. I gave away my Warriors Voucher ,to a rugby loving fan. So that plus two free games isn't a bad return.. The club can't cover cup games, as it costs money. I do miss getting friendlies for free,but can't see how the club can take a hit on season tickets.I take my son to the games and as it doesn't cost him anything ,so I see that as an obvious saving. I used to save up via the Glasgow Credit Union and pay it that way.

So, those who have given their Season Tickets to mates when they can't make it. Is that not depriving the club of money of someone paying through the gate?

As a matter of curiousity, are the tickets not non-transferable? Once upon a time- when Molly gave them out to you- i'm pretty sure it said that on it.

However it is a good suggestion as between the three of us that regularly attend with tickets we'd be better off now buying two and sharing it between us. If there is an occasion that the three of us make it together then one will pay in.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2:

So, those who have given their Season Tickets to mates when they can't make it. Is that not depriving the club of money of someone paying through the gate?

No. If you buy a pack of wine gums, it's up to you if you give one to your pal. You pay for a seat for the season, you have a right to use the seat for a season. By giving your ticket to a pal, you are not taking more that you've paid for. The club isnt a charity. The club itself and Scottish football in general should have the onus to find ways of justifying fans parting with more money, and should definitely not expect fans to find excuses to part with money for a service with no

marginal cost. Take Hamilton away for an example - the game was moved to Friday to try and see if there'd be a bigger crowd. When a good away crowd turned up, they weren't ready and 200/300 of our fans misse kick off despite arriving on time. At the end of the game, a steward shouted at us to 'KEEP MOVING!' on the way out. So, no rush to let people see what theyve paid for, but piss off quickly after. Scottish football doesn't deserve customers and I'm not findin excuses to give it money.

That depends. If I couldn't make a match when I used to have a season ticket I would give it to a friend who otherwise wouldn't go. Adds one to the crowd and the club lose nothing.

Season tickets are terrible value for money, paying at the gate is terrible value for money and entry into away games is terrible value for money.

Crowds are only going to get smaller and smaller as the same money you would spend going to the football gets you more and more out in the real world in terms of value, comfort and entertainment. £17 is simply not good value for what is on offer, that is shown by our dreadful attendances, but what would make it good value, I think a tenner would be an acceptable price but of course we can’t do that.

The misery at Firhill is compounded because not only is the football on the park largely terrible (to be expected), the ‘matchday experience’ as it is termed these days is also dreadful in every single respect (catering, atmosphere, one sided ground, toilets, etc).

Things are all relative, it will cost me £25 to watch Cardiff, is that overall experience 50% better than that at Firhill? Damn right. It will cost me £50+ to go to the Emirates, is that overall experience 3 or 4 times as good? Damn right. The whole thing is a farce and I’m ambivalent towards the whole thing now, Jackie out, Sack the Board and Move From Firhill.

Yes, because anyone who disagrees with you must be a silly little 12 year old.

I'm sure everyone on here will agree more needs to be done to incentivise season ticket purchases, however things need to be done to attract new/lapsed fans too, and they certainly won't be buying season tickets if they aren't going to any games currently.

That depends. If I couldn't make a match when I used to have a season ticket I would give it to a friend who otherwise wouldn't go. Adds one to the crowd and the club lose nothing.

So how many of these friends you gave your ticket to then went on to buy a season ticket of their own?

Sorry to be pedantic but it doesn't really add one to the crowd either as your ticket already counted.

1. Value for money has gone, miss a game almost and season ticket costs you money.

2. No cup games, even Div 1-3 diddy cup.

3. Cup game comes around and season ticket holders neither can purchase their own seat or get 1st priority on away allocations.

4. Changing games at last minute to Friday night (not the board's fault I know)

5. Vouchers at the back of the book are ok but most, including the Warriors ticket, have a shelf life that doesn't last to even the end of the football season.

6. With the advent of Football Bloggers etc these guys turn up and get passes in for nothing despite having no real interest in PTFC (nor would they be there if there team playing that same time). Check the press benches.

7. Quality on the park is substandard and has been for many years.

8. Catering, though better than what it was, is substandard and expensive.

9. Times are difficult for everyone but hang around long enough, pay at the gate week in week out and you'll save money than forking out the full price on a season ticket.

A rant, yes. However, I know for a fact that i'm not the only one. I'm fully aware that times are difficult for our football club but over the past 38 years my season ticket has been rendered worthless. It's not enough for it to be a labour of love anymore.

Money's tight for everyone but as I said in the final reason i'd be better turning up week in, week out and paying at the gate.

I know the 12 year olds will come on here and moan back at me but trust me lads been there, done that and it's wearing thin for me now like it already has done for so many.

Dont buy one then ----simples

Season tickets are terrible value for money, paying at the gate is terrible value for money and entry into away games is terrible value for money.

Crowds are only going to get smaller and smaller as the same money you would spend going to the football gets you more and more out in the real world in terms of value, comfort and entertainment. £17 is simply not good value for what is on offer, that is shown by our dreadful attendances, but what would make it good value, I think a tenner would be an acceptable price but of course we can’t do that.

The misery at Firhill is compounded because not only is the football on the park largely terrible (to be expected), the ‘matchday experience’ as it is termed these days is also dreadful in every single respect (catering, atmosphere, one sided ground, toilets, etc).

Things are all relative, it will cost me £25 to watch Cardiff, is that overall experience 50% better than that at Firhill? Damn right. It will cost me £50+ to go to the Emirates, is that overall experience 3 or 4 times as good? Damn right. The whole thing is a farce and I’m ambivalent towards the whole thing now, Jackie out, Sack the Board and Move From Firhill.

i was looking at prices of Villa v Man City on sunday couldnt believe i could have bought a ticket for £15. Seat was up the back of a stand but hey its still good value

So how many of these friends you gave your ticket to then went on to buy a season ticket of their own?

Sorry to be pedantic but it doesn't really add one to the crowd either as your ticket already counted.

1. None, but that is beside the point. Since the last time I had a season ticket a few years ago, friends who might never have cared about Thistle had I not loaned them my ST several years ago now tend to go to a handful of games a season. That's admittedly not much money, but I'm sure other people's friends do the same.

2. The crowd figure only accounts the number of people in the stadium, or rather, the number of clicks through the turnstile. This means that my ticket hadn't already counted. Also, it adds one voice to the atmosphere, which is quite important these days.

As a matter of curiousity, are the tickets not non-transferable? Once upon a time- when Molly gave them out to you- i'm pretty sure it said that on it.

However it is a good suggestion as between the three of us that regularly attend with tickets we'd be better off now buying two and sharing it between us. If there is an occasion that the three of us make it together then one will pay in.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2:

I bought two season tickets this season. My daughter lives in Liverpool and I've found myself missing 4 league games so far as I've been visiting her. Someone who posts on here had a new arrival to their family and it meant he couldn't get to games very often. For the games I have had to miss so far, he got my two tickets for each game. It's helped him financially and the club do benefit if he and his mate bought a programme, bought 50/50 tickets, bought any food at the match. These are things I and my wife would have done had we been at these games. OK so he and his mate did not enjoy the Ross County and Raith Rovers matches, but they certainly enjoyed the Ayr and Morton games.

Excuse me, I strongly object to this point as it smacks of ignorance and snobbery to be quite frank! Firstly, you are making a sweeping generalisation, how do you know they are Bloggers and also how do you know they have no interest in PTFC? How do you know why those guys in the press box are there? Do you know them all personally or do you know for fact what each one's function is at the game? Didn't think so and before you say I don't know what I'm talking about I'm a Sports Journalism graduate who happens to know what he's talking about unlike you.

Also, posts like that sum up what is wrong with this club at the minute.