Benefits & Negatives If Rangers Go Bust

phoenix1876

Why? there is no way it will be reformed in a way that will benefit us..we can't even muster a challenge against a pile of s hit!

Maybe it wouldn't result in an immediate league reformation, but the lack of an OF - and its accompanying derby - would negate the Sky TV diktat of four OF games per season and reignite the possibility of a sixteen, or eighteen, team SPL.

The main negative of Rangers going bust would be that it would turn a two-horse race in to a one-horse one - at least in the short term.

Edited by Guy Incognito

...and now yir gonna believe us...

I'm enjoying the gloat, but not sure how much the demise of RFC would really benefit Thistle or Scottish football overall. A 1-horse race would be even more boring than the current duopoly. England doesn't want Celtic, of course, but without the other buttock of the old firm arze, might the T!ms be more inclined to pish off to play in pastures new? That - Scottish football without Rantic OR Celgers - I WOULD like to see: inevitable league reconstruction; the lancing of the vile boil of sectarianism; any one of 12 or 15 teams that could reasonably aspire to winning some trophies over the next few years? Bring it on.

All academic, though: they'll finish 2nd in the league with or without a 10 point penalty - actually, they'd probably finish 2nd with a 25 point penalty or even with a 10-point bonus so that's kind of irrelevant. Surely they'll just do a Dundee and all that will happen with this is a few small businesses will get shafted and they'll get to screw the tax man and drop a few fringe players.

Ah well, enjoy it while we can:

...the H*ns are goin' bust!

It's interesting that Ayr and Kilmarnock drew 25000 to Hampden. Something meaningful was at stake. If we were currently sixth in the league, with a chance of a play-off place, our crowds would be bigger. Something meaningful would be at stake. Could you imagine the buzz in Edinburgh if Hearts and Hibs were slogging it out for the title? Something meaningful........ Motherwell on top of the league? Imagine the crowds. Something meaningful......... I could go on. I remember Jim Leishman saying that Dunfermline got bigger crowds winning the first than getting humped in the SPL. There is no way Rangers will disappear. There is no way Celtic will either. But God, I wish they would. Then we could have a sensible league structure with benefits for all clubs, as well as the national team.

There's no doubt that it's added a bit of interest and excitement to an otherwise dull Scottish game. And it would be entertaining to watch them go to the wall (as well as that lovely schadenfreude feeling that we all seem to be getting). I don't share the hatred of the old firm that many on here express (my 11 year old son unfortunately supports Rangers - and he's not a 'stone aged nazi' as described by a poster), but I'd be emotively quite happy to see the back of them.

But Rangers going down will see a lot of money currently coming to football disappearing, probably for good. I think the role of football as the national game would disappear, as would the extensive exposure that it currently enjoys. I see potential dangers here.

Ultimately it may have a positive impact on Thistle, though. As the profile of the game reduces, and money flows out, we may obviously find it easier to compete, and it may give us the chance to find a higher level in a lesser league and maybe that's a good thing. My fear is that with Scottish football marginalised, more people will care about the English/ Spanish/ Italian game than ours and the natural 'die-hard' fans will ever more disappear.

I'm not sure if there will be benefits for Thistle. I would add that karma's a bitch at times. A certain Mr Murray was the architect of this mess and also the finger on the trigger shot Airdieonians down. That's kind of funny, regardless of how you see these teams.

What needs to happen is that the non Old Firm teams in the SPL need to grow a pair. One of the two schoolyard bullies is on his knees and ripe for a richly deserved kicking.

The SPL will change its rules to admit a new Rangers team if the 1872/1873 monster (which is it, by the way?) folds. That's a given. An SPL without a Rangers just ain't going to happen.

Who knows what the SFL will do. Sit on its arse and twiddle its thumbs, I expect.

There are no negatives.

There are only benefits.

As Old Donald would say there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.

Like most others I can't see a downside for Thistle tho' I'm sure there'll be knock on effects. If say the TV companies pull the plug as both the OF games and the league is so one sided and thus barely saleable then clubs who are reliant on TV money will suffer initially. All I imagine they'll do is a Dunfermline and rip up contracts and negotiate lower wages.

A scaling down of player quality in Scotland would be inevitable but many of the top footballers in Scotland tend to be non Scots in any case. The international side might even improve if we've more of our top players playing outside Scotland.

Despite it being in demand by a large majority of fans we're told that larger leagues are impractical as what money that's in football requires a guaranteed 4 x ugly sister games per season. If the OF games lose that appeal there'd be little stopping league reform.