Just In V Boring County

angry gaz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boring County? Embarrassing chants from the JHS today. Their manager has found a way to get their team out the league. They didn't score a goal and keep a clean sheet because of their time wasting. They won because they have an effective solid unit that are very difficult to break down, and so far this season McNamara has shown no sign of managing to break through their defence with players he has to work with.

Well if they're boring then what were we today? Even more boring and useless in front of goal.

They came with a game plan, managed to get a goal and as predicted we offered next to no threat against their defence.

Today just reminded me of similar games against the same opposition and Raith Rovers, where we show next to no imagination of how to break down their defence. From 60 minutes onwards it was just long ball, not good enough.

Good post, and a counter-argument against much of the sour grapes posts on this thread. Put it this way, County probably could play us off the park if they needed to. But they didn't, got a goal, so then did something that they are excellent at, which is shutting up shop. They cannot be so far ahead of all of us "have a go" also-rans by being boring and dour.They are effective, and I would love us to be like them in that respect. Give me a season of 1-0 victories if it gets us promotion!

Edited by Jaggernaut

I'd imagine it would have been a wee bit cheaper to get to Firhill and back home though? ;)

I live in the Scottish Borders near the A702, so it's an hour and a half to Firhill. The clubs don't price transport - they price the game. Out of principle, if sh**e costs 17 and decent costs 15, I'd rather pay 15 to travel to decent than 5 quid to travel to sh**e.

Yesterday was probably the least enjoyable football match I have watched so far this season. County will win the league - all due credit etc. - but f*ck, they are brutal to watch. Their time wasting, particularly from the goalkeeper, was shocking and frankly I am surprised the ref didn't at least have a word with him about it.

On another note, why oh why oh why was the north stand out of action again? County brought a sizeable following yesterday and it completely kills the atmosphere when the away support are tucked away out of view. Also, it means the families have to move closer to the city end. Watching Ross County timewaste for 45 minutes whilst being serenaded by Alvin and the Chipmunks squeaking the same two Thistle songs, occasionally with the right words, over and over again was torturous. Mind you, with the execption of 'boring, boring County', that was the only singing to be heard from the home support. Ach well, it least it didn't rain.

Also, it means the families have to move closer to the city end. Watching Ross County timewaste for 45 minutes whilst being serenaded by Alvin and the Chipmunks squeaking the same two Thistle songs, occasionally with the right words, over and over again was torturous. Mind you, with the execption of 'boring, boring County', that was the only singing to be heard from the home support. Ach well, it least it didn't rain.

The kids in the shed yesterday who just screeched for 90 minutes were the most annoying thing ever! Not cute and it's not like they even knew any songs - a verse here or there but god they were annoying! I am ok with kids but sit them in the kids end if they want to screech!

I sit in the shed because it is the seat furthest from them!

Oh and the game? God never been so bored in my life and I really have nothing else to say about it!

The kids in the shed yesterday who just screeched for 90 minutes were the most annoying thing ever! Not cute and it's not like they even knew any songs - a verse here or there but god they were annoying! I am ok with kids but sit them in the kids end if they want to screech!

Oh and the game? God never been so bored in my life and I really have nothing else to say about it!

Yeah... Ban the kids! How dare they come and watch Thistle, enjoy themselves and sing thistle songs. It's not they way thistle fans behave. Ban them I say...

Yeah... Ban the kids! How dare they come and watch Thistle, enjoy themselves and sing thistle songs. It's not they way thistle fans behave. Ban them I say...

Did I say that? No if you actually bothered to read what i said was I don't think kids need to screech for 90 minutes. Now am not sure where you sit or if you were even there yesterday, however a kid screeching - not singing - just screeching a couple of lines here or there for 90 minutes did not create an atmosphere of any sort and was just annoying. I enjoy atmosphere and when the kids occasionally sing it is nice to here - and there was a few in the shed yesterday and that was good. But a kid screeching on his own for 90 minutes was annoying! Anyone in the shed yesterday will know what I mean and if they don't agree fair enough. But I don't pay £17 to listen to that!!

Did I say that? No if you actually bothered to read what i said was I don't think kids need to screech for 90 minutes. Now am not sure where you sit or if you were even there yesterday, however a kid screeching - not singing - just screeching a couple of lines here or there for 90 minutes did not create an atmosphere of any sort and was just annoying. I enjoy atmosphere and when the kids occasionally sing it is nice to here - and there was a few in the shed yesterday and that was good. But a kid screeching on his own for 90 minutes was annoying! Anyone in the shed yesterday will know what I mean and if they don't agree fair enough. But I don't pay £17 to listen to that!!

I know you didn't say ban them..... I did. I was being sarcastic.

I was in the shed yesterday and I heard 2 young kids who seemed to be the only people enjoying themselves singing a couple of thistle songs during what was an awful game of football.

You are saying that you don't mind kids occasionally singing in the shed but not for 90mins.

What would you suggest (roughly) to be an acceptable singing quota for under 16's? 10mins per half? Something like that?

We should be encouraging the kids in the shed to sing. Not moaning about it.

On a slightly more positive note, I thought we played some decent stuff yesterday and i feel sorry for Scully who made a superb save just before the County goal. Pity we couldn't clear our lines after his stop because at that time, I feel we were the better side. After the goal it was game over though. That's what County do and they do it well...

I know you didn't say ban them..... I did. I was being sarcastic.

I was in the shed yesterday and I heard 2 young kids who seemed to be the only people enjoying themselves singing a couple of thistle songs during what was an awful game of football.

You are saying that you don't mind kids occasionally singing in the shed but not for 90mins.

What would you suggest (roughly) to be an acceptable singing quota for under 16's? 10mins per half? Something like that?

We should be encouraging the kids in the shed to sing. Not moaning about it.

Sing by all means. But the kid was not singing he was just screaming random players names and random stupid things which was annoying!

Sit your kids in the kids end if they want to be that annoying!

Am glad the kid was having a "great time" but really his screaming for 90 mins had no impact in the atmosphere! The kids who actually were singing were fine and if they want to sing like that for 90 minutes then that does not bother me. It is when you have a kid like that just screaming the stupidest things for 90 minutes - that annoy me.

Am sorry that is my opinion - i don't like kids much and I don't want to have to listen to them scream for 90 minutes on my day of and i do not want to pay £17 to put up with that either!!

Sing by all means. But the kid was not singing he was just screaming random players names and random stupid things which was annoying!

Sit your kids in the kids end if they want to be that annoying!

Am glad the kid was having a "great time" but really his screaming for 90 mins had no impact in the atmosphere! The kids who actually were singing were fine and if they want to sing like that for 90 minutes then that does not bother me. It is when you have a kid like that just screaming the stupidest things for 90 minutes - that annoy me.

Am sorry that is my opinion - i don't like kids much and I don't want to have to listen to them scream for 90 minutes on my day of and i do not want to pay £17 to put up with that either!!

If it bothered you that much, why didn't you ask if they could have toned it down just a little bit? Or move seats?

Disappointing not to take anything from the game as we played some decent football throughout; however, it was the typical sort of performance that we produce against County. They have had our number for a few seasons now and know exactly how to play us; they're happy to allow us to retain possession but as soon as we encroach the final third, they squeeze us out. It might not be pleasing on the eye but fair play to them, they're extremely efficient and, in my opinion, worthy winners of the league.

However, Derek Adams was quoted in one Sunday newspaper as claiming County are "one of the best passing teams in the league". It's things like this, along with the continuous denial that they have the biggest playing budget, that cause the distaste towards them. A passing style of football, like ours when we play well, like Falkirk's throughout the majority of this season, is attractive and entertaining to watch; the 2-2 game between us and Falkirk was the best game I've been to this season in terms of entertainment. County are effective and are top of the league on merit but they're 100 miles from being attractive to watch.

With regards to the Bannigan incident, I've got a totally different perspective of what happened and it occurred pretty much directly in front of me. I'll wait until the highlights are up but, at the time, I thought he was extremely lucky not to be reprimanded for a two-footed tackle. I didn't think the County player intentionally caught Bannigan, he was trying to get out the way of what was a pretty dangerous tackle. Kinniburgh was also lucky as he went in with two feet shortly after Bannigan was taken off. I can't agree with the cop the referee is taking - I thought he had a good game. The whole furore over the time-wasting is tedious; it was nowhere near as bad as some people are making out. Their keeper's time-wasting skills were nothing like Kenny Arthur's or Bryn Halliwell's - THAT'S how you waste time.

As a wee aside, Christie Elliot's family were sitting beside us and his brother is on trial with St Johnstone this week after spending last week with County.

I thought Bannigan's challenge was committed but fair. Willie's was reckless and he was lucky he missed the guy and didn't get at least a booking.

Hmm. I think we were lucky to have a lenient referee because others would have sent him off. Just look at Wanyama's tackle today which, in my opinion, was pretty similar to Bannigan's.

We really needed welsh and Erskine to play better to win this game, they both let us down I thought.

Thought the ref has got to make a stand and book County players for time wasting, he bottled it. Teams will just continue to do this till they are booked. The fact Gardyne kicked the ball away and only got a talking to (wasting more time) just summed the ref up.

The constant fouling in the first half was also very frustrating.

I thought Naismith did well when he came on, if he became available I would like to see him here next year. He has potential and if we can get him to be a little less laid back on the pitch then he could turn out a player for us.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was worrying that I am turning in to a crabbit old bassa before my time! :lol:

I'm all for kids coming to watch Thistle and full credit to those lads for trying to get behind the team. But God created family sections for a reason!

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have given a stuff about them if the game hadn't been so bad.

FAO thesteerts & 1876jag

For me it's unfair to compare the way County play in Dingwall to the way the play away from home. I've seen us play in Dingwall earlier in the season and it's clear they have a game plan away from home.

We've seen this style of play from County for a good few years now. It's literally the same thing every year and our record against them is poor. You'd like to think, despite the managerial change there would be some sort of new tactic or change in our game to try and find some way of at least creating chances and testing their keeper. After 60 minutes it was just punt, punt, punt. That illustrates a frustration and lack of a plan B, to me in the team tactics against County.

I appreciate and did see the time waisting from County, I'm not denying that. What I have a problem with is the crowd labelling them "boring". We were even more boring and useless in front of goal and that's not down to them, that's down to us.

There's a difference between boring and not good enough as we are. For 60 minutes at least there was an attempt to play decent football before we ran out of ideas. They set out to be boring from the off.

They can play any formation you like but the cynical fouls and time wasting are cheating, both on the park and the paying punters. The fact is I don't begrudge them either victory at firhill, i believe the first game should have been more, but the point is they don't have to resort to that to beat a team like us, anyone who is well organised will pick up points against inconsistent teams like us.

Two years ago Inverness came down here in a similar position and played us off the park, tuffey had the game of his life to keep it 1-0. They played like champions. Teams like County on the other hand are the reason people in this country don't attend matches anymore. Same at international level when dross like greece win the euros, boring everyone to tears. Therefore I will stand up and complain and shout against that type of shite.

I would rather play like we did last week and lose more than we win than get promoted playing like that, just inviting a pumping every week from better teams in the SPL.

I thought Bannigan's challenge was committed but fair. Willie's was reckless and he was lucky he missed the guy and didn't get at least a booking.

Both bannigan and kinnniburgh challenges were two feet off the ground and straight reds. The county players were lucky to escape serious injury, and no blame to the guy who caught bannigan with his knee- you could tell by the reaction.

At best they were borne of frustration by their time wasting and attempts to disrupt the game at every opportunity, but still kamikaze nonetheless.

If it bothered you that much, why didn't you ask if they could have toned it down just a little bit? Or move seats?

Er excuse me why should I have to move cos a kids being a brat? And say something, I guess I was hoping the parent would do their job and tell it to be quieter or give it a rest!

I like kids in the shed but when their just being annoying it's not cute! The dad in front of us bring his little girl to the game she has a good time and shes well behaved. If your kids want to make a racket and add nothing then there is a family section - sit there!

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was worrying that I am turning in to a crabbit old bassa before my time! :lol:

I'm all for kids coming to watch Thistle and full credit to those lads for trying to get behind the team. But God created family sections for a reason!

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have given a stuff about them if the game hadn't been so bad.

Yeah if the normal shed boys had been in voice I wouldn't have noticed. If I had been drinking before the game, I probably wouldn't have cared and if i had bought a pie (I didn't cos the last few have been burnt ..yuk!) then I probably would not care. However I did notice and it did annoy me and I really hope that they go and sit in the kids end in future!

Two years ago Inverness came down here in a similar position and played us off the park, tuffey had the game of his life to keep it 1-0. They played like champions. Teams like County on the other hand are the reason people in this country don't attend matches anymore. Same at international level when dross like greece win the euros, boring everyone to tears. Therefore I will stand up and complain and shout against that type of shite.

I would rather play like we did last week and lose more than we win than get promoted playing like that, just inviting a pumping every week from better teams in the SPL.

This 100%

I knew exactly what we would get from County and that is exactly why I wasn't in the least bit bothered that I couldn't attend yesterday's game. Teams like that are ruining football as a spectacle.