Just In Arr Craib Cup Final

Camallain

I don't think there is any doubt that we were the best team on show over the weekend. Some of the football we have played in pre-season has been outstanding and is certainly encouraging for the season ahead. Jackie seems to have instilled his philosophy into the players and has got them working in a very fluid system which is both effective and entertaining to watch.

I mentioned it after the Ayr game but the strength in depth we have now is very pleasing; still think we could do with one or two additions but we have a very strong squad, in my opinion. Under McCall, we usually had a good starting line-up but struggled if any suspensions or injuries occurred. Don't want to put unnecessary pressure on them but I think this is the best squad we've had for a number of years and credit to Jackie for building it. Would love to get Watt on loan from Celtic and, should Doolan leave, he would be top of my list as a replacement.

Craigen looked a bit off the pace in the first half but that's understandable. Came into the game in the second half and looked comfortable on the ball. Think he'll take some time to settle and make a position his own but he certainly appears to have the ability. Could be another good find.

Sinclair is undoubtedly a good player but there is no way he should replace Bannigan - he has been absolutely outstanding in every game I've seen so far. He skinned the whole right-side of Everton's team time and time again yesterday. The boy is a player.

One negative from the weekend is that Firhill is still clogged with utter imbeciles who don't understand football. Shug was criticised for not passing the ball forward despite hardly losing it in either game. Paton beat three players but there was nothing on so turned back and kept possession - this was met with the astute observation of "what was the point in that?" by one fandan behind me. The team were encouraged to "wake up" despite the fact Everton hadn't touched the ball for a few minutes and we had strung about 30 passes together. Don't mean to take the high-ground here but some punters are absolutely clueless.

Paton beat three players but there was nothing on so turned back and kept possession - this was met with the astute observation of "what was the point in that?" by one fandan behind me.

I don't know what happened or what urged the person to say that, but I'd be looking at the rest of the team wondering why they weren't available for the pass when Paton had just got into a good position. But you are right, you get some daft things being said at any match.

He was Celtic's standout player against Airdrie, although I didn't think he was all that fabby against us.

Never managed to get along for the first game yesterday but heard he played very well. I thought he did okay against us, created a great chance for himself early in the first half but faded out the game considerably by the end. Seemed to have a bit of the billy-big bollocks about him though which is slightly off-putting but still a cracking player.

One negative from the weekend is that Firhill is still clogged with utter imbeciles who don't understand football. Shug was criticised for not passing the ball forward despite hardly losing it in either game. Paton beat three players but there was nothing on so turned back and kept possession - this was met with the astute observation of "what was the point in that?" by one fandan behind me. The team were encouraged to "wake up" despite the fact Everton hadn't touched the ball for a few minutes and we had strung about 30 passes together. Don't mean to take the high-ground here but some punters are absolutely clueless.

Thing is its not just at Thistle games you hear this. People are stuck with some idea that 1960/1970 style football will still work when quite frankly the game has moved on and we as a nation have failed to adapt to it.

I think McNamara is one of the new breed of coaches that looks at the games more scientificly and its not about finding the biggest and fastest players out there its more about finding clever players who can play in a number of positions. Said yesterday that he has signed players to play a number of formations (we have played 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 from what I have seen in the preseason games) and a type of football which he wanted to play last year and didnt have the players to do so.

Enjoyed the weekend games, thought we tried to play some good football and looked as though we have a lot of competition for places as none of us could agree on a definitive starting 11 , first time I can remember this in years.

Positive about the season ? Really trying not to be , if we cna go out and beat Clyde and Forfar it will set us up nicely for a big game with Falkirk which will give us a better idea of how the season will pan out.

Encouraged by what I've heard from proceedings on the park this weekend. The organisation off the park sounds like it could have been a lot better, but I'm prepared to give the club the benefit of the doubt considering the police measures that were forced upon us.

Sadly I won't mange to see the team till the Dundee game but hopefully we can win both cup ties.

I don't think there is any doubt that we were the best team on show over the weekend. Some of the football we have played in pre-season has been outstanding and is certainly encouraging for the season ahead. Jackie seems to have instilled his philosophy into the players and has got them working in a very fluid system which is both effective and entertaining to watch.

I mentioned it after the Ayr game but the strength in depth we have now is very pleasing; still think we could do with one or two additions but we have a very strong squad, in my opinion. Under McCall, we usually had a good starting line-up but struggled if any suspensions or injuries occurred. Don't want to put unnecessary pressure on them but I think this is the best squad we've had for a number of years and credit to Jackie for building it. Would love to get Watt on loan from Celtic and, should Doolan leave, he would be top of my list as a replacement.

Craigen looked a bit off the pace in the first half but that's understandable. Came into the game in the second half and looked comfortable on the ball. Think he'll take some time to settle and make a position his own but he certainly appears to have the ability. Could be another good find.

Sinclair is undoubtedly a good player but there is no way he should replace Bannigan - he has been absolutely outstanding in every game I've seen so far. He skinned the whole right-side of Everton's team time and time again yesterday. The boy is a player.

I'm afraid it was always thus (fandans unfortunately not us playing 30 passes)

Thing is its not just at Thistle games you hear this. People are stuck with some idea that 1960/1970 style football will still work when quite frankly the game has moved on and we as a nation have failed to adapt to it.

I think McNamara is one of the new breed of coaches that looks at the games more scientificly and its not about finding the biggest and fastest players out there its more about finding clever players who can play in a number of positions. Said yesterday that he has signed players to play a number of formations (we have played 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 from what I have seen in the preseason games) and a type of football which he wanted to play last year and didnt have the players to do so.

Enjoyed the weekend games, thought we tried to play some good football and looked as though we have a lot of competition for places as none of us could agree on a definitive starting 11 , first time I can remember this in years.

Positive about the season ? Really trying not to be , if we cna go out and beat Clyde and Forfar it will set us up nicely for a big game with Falkirk which will give us a better idea of how the season will pan out.

I notice that when he can MacNamara is signing big strong lads - Welsh, Sinclair, O'Donnell, McGuigan. They also all have a bit of football skill in them too. The other thing is he's signed guys who can play 2 - sometimes three positions which gives us a lot of cover for a small squad.

I notice that when he can MacNamara is signing big strong lads - Welsh, Sinclair, O'Donnell, McGuigan. They also all have a bit of football skill in them too. The other thing is he's signed guys who can play 2 - sometimes three positions which gives us a lot of cover for a small squad.

Really? He's average height and very skinny. Great player but he's no man mountain.

I think their physiques are secondary to their footballing ability. Every player Jackie has signed is comfortable with the ball at his feet and you can see that this is necessary for the team to play the way he wants them to. Rest assured that we won't be reverting to punting the ball forward this season.

Really? He's average height and very skinny. Great player but he's no man mountain.

Didn't really mean any of them were - though I must admit I thought Welsh was taller than the 5'9" I've checked that he was. But what I meant is in the past we've tended to have wee guys - teams where Welsh would have been a big guy - and now we have players with a bit of strength and height about them and several who are good in the air. It's great to see that and that they also have good football ability too.

Edit: re punting up the park. I've noticed we do sometimes use a long ball for variation but it seems now to be aimed into spaces for players to run into rather than just punted 6 feet over our smallest forward's head.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Apologies if already posted, however a fair assessment of our performance on Sunday posted on an everton forum may be on interest.

Couple of wee mistakes on players names, though a good overview all the same.

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/46365-PARTICK-THISTLE-3-EVERTON-1-MATCH-REPORT

Excellent performances over the weekend, particularly on Sunday. If we replicate that form in the league, we will definately be in the promotion hunt.

Passing game was classy, which no doubt prompted AB to state in his report.....'Thistle’s football at times was breathtaking with some good attacking play and all cylinders firing, there was nothing to worry them from the Merseysiders.'

Hugh Murray needs to get to know his team mates a bit better - http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/july_2012/hugh_murray_on_arr_craib_cup_win

"If you take me, Archie and Roswer out the equation then it's a really young side... you've got the likes of Paul Paton who's 25 and then after him everyone is pretty much 21 and under.

Scott Fox, Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan are 25 too.