Just In V Falkirk

Camallain

What a start to the new season ! Two up after just seven minutes and the New Shed was bouncing. I feel thereafter we failed to capitalise on this great start and despite controlling most of the remaining half we didn't really put Falkirk under any serious pressure . The second half saw the visitors having more of the game and Thistle looking a tad shaky in defence. I thought Scott Fox, who otherwise had an excellent game, was caught out badly for the Falkirk goal. Just like in the Everton game Thistle hit back quickly to restore a two goal cushion and hold on for a fantastic start to the new campaign.

What a great atmosphere in the New Shed today with some great banter and songs I hadn't heard before. I think this is going to be a very popular move with the fans :thumbsup2:

Managed to catch most of Kris Doolan scoring our second on camera :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzxu7sw38JI

Edited by Camallain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the performance today was resonably good: as usual we made hard work of killing off Falkirk, although to be fair after they scored there was a period that they looked likely to equalise rather than we did to score another.

At the end of the day, despite an obvious goalkeeping error and a few sticky defensive moments I wa s on the whole quietly impressed by Thistle and seeing as this is the first league game of the season I took plenty of positives from today.

I think it's a good start. We were pretty dominant for the most part, and losing the odd goal to a goalkeeping error is to be expected (they are human, and when they make mistakes it's often more costly than other positions), We weren't too convincing at the back, but we usually to cleared any threat eventually, so I'm not too worried

I think we can celebrate the fact we took all three clear chances we created, something we certainly didn't do last season. I would have liked to see a few more chances created, but it's looking up already. Doolan seems to be becoming a poacher, which is something we've lacked recently.

Great start to season. Think there is a lot more to come from the side. We are looking strong when you consider, no Balatoni or rowser is squad and sinclair on bench.

Other than a mad five mins or so, i thought Muirhead was superb.

Like look of Lawless, and of course Dools will get all the credit for his goals.

Archie and Paton were my star performers today. Just awesome the pair of them.

Lot of fight in the team today and real desire to put Falkirk under pressure.

Was there with my wife, son and bro in law with his son, who is 4 today. both boys were having a great time and never stopped cheering on the lads. My ears are ringing with the chants of DOOLAN and PATON from the pair of them!

Hope to see a good few more take up their place in the "singing section" but credit to everyone who was in there. You guys never stopped and made for a great atmosphere. When the JH joined in it was just a joy to be there.

Now for a cold beer or two.

Falkirk supporter calling for goal-line technology on BBC phone-in saying that during the stramash after they hit the bar, the ball was over the line. Didn't look like it from JHS...anybody see it?

Wishful thinking by the falkirk fan! I was behind the goal and it looked like a really good goal line clearance to me

Great start to season an excellent 3 points. Felt we bossed the first half for the most part and were well worth the 2 goal lead. Falkirk got a goal out of nothing really but the boy took it really well and caught Fox napping. They made several chances during the 2nd half so im delighted we managed to get the win as on another day we might not have. Onwards and upwards as they say

was a cracking day out tbh as usual had Mini Toaster with me and my Daughter made her first visit to Firhill and absolutely loved it Good result great atmosphere and a cracking day out only thing is I would say it seemed like a lot more than 3 1/2 thousand at the game today.

I thought I was in a parallel universe for a time today...sunshine, a good playing surface, the Jackie Husband Stand well filled, Thistle 2 up within 7 minutes...and that was after You're-Not Rangers-Anymore has provided even more comedy value.

We only made 3 clear chances and scored them all...Falkirk had at least as many good chances...but it still seemed like a comfortable enough victory.

BBC now spell Doolan and Erskine correctly so i thought this deserved a wee mention but we have signed a new player called Patrick Lawless. . . .

Could be worse, they could have got him mixed up with WASPs lead singer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAS4arYBE7U

Great day, great game, great result and Firhill was rawking today!!! Long may it continue!!! Getting round to thinking that Mini Toaster is a good luck charm for us......hope you are going to EEP next week...ha!

Edited by Lindau

Good gritty team performance and effort with no real failures.Passing has to improve however, we gave the ball straight to Falkirk countless times when under no pressure.We just need to do what we're trying to do just a bit better and we'll be up there at the end of season.

Looks like a good team spirit too. a good responce to come back after the Falkirk goal.Archie was the stand out for me, his passing is awful but he won every tackle and header today( apart from the one that bounced over his noggin).Fox got caught out of position for the goal but also had three outstanding saves at vital times in the game.

Looks like a midfield that wont be bullied too , lots of energy and running in there but we need to pass better to go all the way.

Great day, great game, great result and Firhill was rawking today!!! Long may it continue!!! Getting round to thinking that Mini Toaster is a good luck charm for us......hope you are going to EEP next week...ha!

Queens park first, and of course we will be at EEP. chance to pop in and visit family before/after the game(I'm originally from Rosyth)

Edited by Toaster

Falkirk supporter calling for goal-line technology on BBC phone-in saying that during the stramash after they hit the bar, the ball was over the line. Didn't look like it from JHS...anybody see it?

What about her cracking on about how the new arrangement is a terrible idea, with "one fourteen year old boy in tears" because of the ruffian singing (from both sets of fans, too)? It is not a man's game anymore.

Anyway, great game today, brilliant performance whilst Falkirk could claim to be unlucky that the score wasn't closer. We never really looked in danger and I'm sure could have always kept our two goal cushion. If we keep it up, play a little tighter maybe, this could be a fine season.

Think we caught Falkirk cold, big time. As a consequence of that, and having too much fun in The New Shed, it was a difficult game to judge. We played well, and never really looked threatened by Falkirk until they got a goal back (the Fox double save in the first half aside). If they are one of our main title rivals then we have a real chance as we were certainly nowhere near our best today. Here's hoping we can build on this with at least a point at EEP and a good thrashing of Dumbarton the following week.

Thistle at their best are more than capable of winning this league :)

Fair play today lads, can't say you didn't deserve to win, but with the way we defended we never really gave ourselves a proper go of it. Hopefully just an off day for us defensively, even though we actually created some really excellent chances.

All the best for the rest of the season though, if it's not us then I really hope it's you. Terrific football club with great supporters.