Treatment Of Away Fans Today

ian_mac

Really disappointing to see how the away fans were treated by our stewards today.

A group of about 20 Dumbarton fans - standing, singing, generally trying to enjoy themselves. Greeted by over-zealous and aggressive stewarding. This was all to clear to see from the North Stand - one steward in particular looked extremely aggressive. These fans were doing absolutely nothing wrong, and were in fact adding to the atmosphere.

At one point there were 3 supervisors up there, pointing, gesticulating, generally trying to work out how to deal with a group of 20 Dumbarton fans - sad reflection of PTFC.

They were not blocking anyone's view by standing, and none of what they were singing could in any way be considered offensive.

Why stick up for away fans? Because they are paying customers whose money is worth just as much as home fans. Because a good away support adds to the atmosphere. Because we have all been victims of over-zealous stewarding as away fans ourselves.

The treatment of the away fans today completely flies in the face of everything that onethistle is trying to achieve and change at the club.

The Dumbarton away support today wasn't big to start with, I don't imagine it will be any bigger next time they visit Firhill.

aye its crap, dunno where they get these stewards from, its not as if the Dumbarton fans are going to jump over into the JHS and set about Thistle fans,these guys are just supporting their team , there is a friendly rivalry with the Jags fans and they are being threatened with getting thrown out for supporting their own team, fair play to them, they will probably make more noise than half of the teams that come to Firhill.

what do you make of the home fans chants at Lithgow Ian?

thought the whole idea of moving the "shed boys" into the north stand was to help create an atmosphere. the away fans sandwiched by Thistle fans all singing. The away fans retaliating etc. etc.

Have a word with the Stewards. we will not get an atmosphere if the shackles are on the away support.

Looks like we'll never rediscover the anything goes days of the shed . My god a convicted sex offender plays for the opposition and isn't supposed to get a bit of abuse? He's lucky he isn't twenty years older he would have Been slaughtered . Who can forget the Richard gough chants and that was based on an unfounded rumour .

Don't remember stewards so much innthose days just polis who only got involved

If it got really out of hand . I remember getting threatened with a treason charge for singing hello hello , how do you do .

It's the atmosphere that attracts young people and if we cOntinue to drive it out the game is dead .

We, onethistle, will sort out the away fans issue. JJ intervened yesterday, did a great job. The fact that the heavy stewarding was spotted from the Shed is a great help.

I'm doing a wee matchday experience report from yesterday and this issue will feature; as well as the food, dont worry LMJ and POTM! This report will go to Jim/Lance and key messages will be passed to the Club Board.

Bit by bit, with help from guys like Ian Mac and Potty Trained, we'll get this stuff sorted.

god help onethislte

No mate, god help you. With all the cheerleading you've done for Lithgow on here, you could get a job with legal aid.

The guy is a convicted sex offender, do you really think he isn't going to get stick at a football ground of all places? We've already had people who took their kids yesterday come out and say that there is worse language heard in the playground - they don't really seem that bothered about it.

The pedo chants were maybe a bit over the top, and yes he is NOT a convicted pedophile, but they were dealt with and weren't heard again in the 2nd half.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so ******* what?' —Stephen Fry

Looks like we'll never rediscover the anything goes days of the shed . My god a convicted sex offender plays for the opposition and isn't supposed to get a bit of abuse? He's lucky he isn't twenty years older he would have Been slaughtered . Who can forget the Richard gough chants and that was based on an unfounded rumour .

Don't remember stewards so much in those days just polis who only got involved

If it got really out of hand . I remember getting threatened with a treason charge for singing hello hello , how do you do .

It's the atmosphere that attracts young people and if we cOntinue to drive it out the game is dead .

Don't disagree at all but the major difference now is that to try and regain some of the old atmosphere it's required organised effort ie by One Thistle guys like Ian, Dave & Sandy. The down side to that is it puts those fellas and the Club (thru one Thistle) on the spot for every perceived non pc and/or perceived improper home or away fan behaviour. That's sadly just the nature of the beast.

Imo the main objective should be that the atmosphere in the ground is greatly improved on recent seasons not to recreate situations where this change will be seriously put in jeopardy. I should imagine that'll require a considerable amount of give and take and biting of the tongue on a week by week basis.

Good luck to those responsible for the North Stand move. Two games into the move and it appears to be great success.

I am behind the club, all I said in the beginning was that the paedo chants were uncalled for and not what we I want to hear at firhill, everyone else seems to think that was ok, fair enough thats my opinion.

I thought we were trying to promote a family friendly atmosphere,going by what Sandy and LMJ said members of onethistle were asked to speak to the culprits ( although they only targeted one wee guy who was steaming and didn't say to anyone else)and it calmed down in the 2nd half, the god help onethistle was over the top and I was having a laugh I admit but we seem to be more concerned about stewards telling away fans to sit down than our own fans shouting paedo. I thought we were meant to be engaging with the fans and seeking their opinions but it seems like only some folks opinions are wanted and I'll not bother giving any further opinions.

I'd rather we support the Jags instead of giving out that kind of abuse to someone. its happened now, brush it under the carpet and onto Hamilton. :thumbsup2:

JOT,

I don't have a problem with the main point of your debate, the use of the term paedo. But after not getting everyone joining you, you've now taken to hijacking an unrelated thread, to further attempt to enforce your argument.

I think any debate on your point should be kept to the thread it was originally discussed in.

Doesn't excuse it though Sam, no one wants to see one of our stewards raising their hands and grabbing anyone at Firhill by the shirt front. No matter who they support or what their stewards are like.

If it was down to me, after reviewing the situation and how it was handled, I would just tell the guy, thanks for your help over the years, but there's no need to come back.

Really disappointing to see how the away fans were treated by our stewards today.

A group of about 20 Dumbarton fans - standing, singing, generally trying to enjoy themselves. Greeted by over-zealous and aggressive stewarding. This was all to clear to see from the North Stand - one steward in particular looked extremely aggressive. These fans were doing absolutely nothing wrong, and were in fact adding to the atmosphere.

At one point there were 3 supervisors up there, pointing, gesticulating, generally trying to work out how to deal with a group of 20 Dumbarton fans - sad reflection of PTFC.

They were not blocking anyone's view by standing, and none of what they were singing could in any way be considered offensive.

Why stick up for away fans? Because they are paying customers whose money is worth just as much as home fans. Because a good away support adds to the atmosphere. Because we have all been victims of over-zealous stewarding as away fans ourselves.

The treatment of the away fans today completely flies in the face of everything that onethistle is trying to achieve and change at the club.

The Dumbarton away support today wasn't big to start with, I don't imagine it will be any bigger next time they visit Firhill.

Agree Ian. Was sitting not too far from where the incident took place and could not work out why the stewards were so bothered with them. They were cheering on their side and it made for a good atmosphere. Stewards stepped in, did appear to be quite heavy handed and for a short time it looked as if it could get ugly. Glad to hear some of you highlighted it and club dealing with it.

As for our songs and chants. Think by now a good few know I sit in family section with my youngling. There was no complaints coming from fans in there of the chants. Granted we never copied the shed but there was some booing when Lithgow touched the ball.