Lay Off Chris Erskine

Jago1953

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical question:

If PTFC got promoted to the SPL, would you give Chris Erskine a new contract?

For me, no. While he is capable of the sublime, he too often fails to do the basics(like controlling the ball). He is definitely a luxury player.

If we got promoted you would release one of our best players? I am genuinely bemused by some of the posts on this forum sometimes. Do you actually watch/understand football?

Glad to see this thread as I have been disgusted a few times at so called "fans " having a go and dishing out verbal abuse to some of our players.Really getting a bit pissed off with certain individuals hurling abuse at the same players all the time.Give the guys a chance FFS .I don`t think for a minute they`re deliberately trying to misplace a pass or shoot wide when they maybe should score.Hope the guilty parties read this and take it on board.

Hypothetical question:

If PTFC got promoted to the SPL, would you give Chris Erskine a new contract?

For me, no. While he is capable of the sublime, he too often fails to do the basics(like controlling the ball). He is definitely a luxury player.

Yes, we should get rid of our most creative player if we get to the SPL :frantic:

Glad to see this thread as I have been disgusted a few times at so called "fans " having a go and dishing out verbal abuse to some of our players.Really getting a bit pissed off with certain individuals hurling abuse at the same players all the time.Give the guys a chance FFS .I don`t think for a minute they`re deliberately trying to misplace a pass or shoot wide when they maybe should score.Hope the guilty parties read this and take it on board.

Tell you what, describe the abuse you're talking about, then the guilty parties might know what to take on board.

Yes, we should get rid of our most creative player if we get to the SPL :frantic:

Just my opinion. Is he our most creative player? Maybe so, but too often he loses possession easily and puts us under pressure.

If we got promoted you would release one of our best players? I am genuinely bemused by some of the posts on this forum sometimes. Do you actually watch/understand football?

Yes, he's not the type of player required for a relegation battle. He is a luxury player who is too inconsistent to step up to the SPL

Yes, he's not the type of player required for a relegation battle. He is a luxury player who is too inconsistent to step up to the SPL

You are right. Let's get rid of him and bring in some midfield clogger who can tackle. It's not as though staying up in the SPL requires teams to create or score goals anyway.

It's a moot point for the time being, as we aren't in the SPL, but it's still one of the worst points I've ever heard.

You are right. Let's get rid of him and bring in some midfield clogger who can tackle. It's not as though staying up in the SPL requires teams to create or score goals anyway.

It's a moot point for the time being, as we aren't in the SPL, but it's still one of the

worst points I've ever heard.

If he's so good why has no SPL team come in for a bid for him ever?

If he's so good why has no SPL team come in for a bid for him ever?

That is such a weak argument it's unbelievable. Are none of Ross County's players good enough to play in the SPL? After all, none of them were bought by an SPL club prior to promotion. Were none of our 2001/2001 title-winning side good enough to play in the SPL? None of them were bought by SPL clubs.

I've no idea why SPL clubs haven't bid for him, and it doesn't really matter. He is one of the most entertaining and effective players that we have, and one of the most entertaining and effective players in the First Division. If we were to, hypothetically, gain promotion, then I've absolutely no doubt he would continue to be a fantastic player for us.

Only three of Southampton's players have Premier League experience, yet Nigel Adkins thinks his squad will do alright.

Using your logic we might as well have a clear out of everyone except Shuggie Murray and Alan Archibald should our team prove they are better than anyone else in the first division this season.

In 3 years time, when we are defending our SPFL title (or whatever the league will be called by then), players like Doohlan, The Bridge, Bannigan, O'Donnell and Lawleff will be not only playing in Red'n'yellow, but also regular picks for Scotland by then.

How silly will G SUS posts and other boo boys abuse look then, hmmmm?

That is such a weak argument it's unbelievable. Are none of Ross County's players good enough to play in the SPL? After all, none of them were bought by an SPL club prior to promotion. Were none of our 2001/2001 title-winning side good enough to play in the SPL? None of them were bought by SPL clubs.

I've no idea why SPL clubs haven't bid for him, and it doesn't really matter. He is one of the most entertaining and effective players that we have, and one of the most entertaining and effective players in the First Division. If we were to, hypothetically, gain promotion, then I've absolutely no doubt he would continue to be a fantastic player for us.

Top quality players leave for better things. Harkins, Twaddle(although i appreciate his career has stagnated now), Buchanan, Cairney. They all went to SPL clubs(or clubs on the way to the SPL), Erskine has not had a single bid. I'd rather have a player who wins us the league, than an entertaining one who messes up 50% of the time and cost's us a title chance.

Only three of Southampton's players have Premier League experience, yet Nigel Adkins thinks his squad will do alright.

Using your logic we might as well have a clear out of everyone except Shuggie Murray and Alan Archibald should our team prove they are better than anyone else in the first division this season.

I wouldn't have Archibald, but that isnt what this thread is about. It's about Chris Erskine. I support him(as i do all our players) but just cos he can beat 3 players once a season and i don't praise him like Messi then i'm a "boo boy".

If we were in a relegation battle - he is a player I would have, even when things don't come off for him he battles and gives 100% , he does not hide

He retains the ball least out of all our midfield. He doesn't have the "brains"(for want of a better word) to step up IMO. Too often moves break down when they get to him due to bad positioning and touch.

None of our players are luxuries. Every one of them is integral to the way the team plays.

He is a luxury in the sense that if he's having a bad game the rest of the team can carry him and mask it.

In 3 years time, when we are defending our SPFL title (or whatever the league will be called by then), players like Doohlan, The Bridge, Bannigan, O'Donnell and Lawleff will be not only playing in Red'n'yellow, but also regular picks for Scotland by then.

How silly will G SUS posts and other boo boys abuse look then, hmmmm?

So just because i don't praise every player highly after every game i'm a boo boy?

Methinks there is more wrong with the Boo Boys worthy of debate than our players.

I've not heard any booing this season. Have you? I've heard groans of disappointment and a couple of frustrated supporters but never actively heard any boos(other than for officials)

Top quality players leave for better things. Harkins, Twaddle(although i appreciate his career has stagnated now), Buchanan, Cairney. They all went to SPL clubs(or clubs on the way to the SPL), Erskine has not had a single bid. I'd rather have a player who wins us the league, than an entertaining one who messes up 50% of the time and cost's us a title chance.

If other clubs making bids for our players is your barometer of how good a player is, then that's fine. We'll agree to disagree. It just seems a rather odd way of judging a player's ability.

My point is that Erskine is a player who will help us win the league. Some of the attacking play involving him, Doolan, Lawless and Welsh this year has been sensational. I can't understand why someone who has seen that cannot appreciate what he brings to the team, and why on earth anyone would want to get rid of him should we, hypothetically, get promoted. All about opinions, I suppose.

Edited by 1971

I can't help feeling that the statements here supporting Chris Erskine and those criticising his mistakes - both types - are well founded. The question then is one for the coaching staff: how can Chris be helped to overcome his weaknesses, so that his excellent skills come to the fore without being tarnished by mistakes?

In a way, we're not talking about Chris' talent here, but about the ability of the coaching staff to encourage and develop it while smoothing out the rough patches. There are some signs that this is happening, such as seeing him scoring with his right foot. Now that he has a set position in the team lineup, that seems to be benefiting him too, as we can see from his scoring record. Progress is really up to Jackie McNamara and Simon Donnelly.

Methinks there is more wrong with the Boo Boys worthy of debate than our players.

Exactly.

Too many fans stuck in the 1960s/70s and expect the kind of kick and rush football that era was "famous" for. Heard numerous people yelling to get it up the park last saturday.

Only when these dinosaurs realise that football has changed will clubs be able to play the kind of football we are trying to play this season.

Erskine is one of the best players at the club , when he went off against Hamilton the shape of the team went to shit and we started punting the ball forward. Take a wider view of the game and watch the positions the likes of Erskine and Lawless take up then you will see why they are so key to the formation we are playing and the football we want to play

Exactly.

Too many fans stuck in the 1960s/70s and expect the kind of kick and rush football that era was "famous" for. Heard numerous people yelling to get it up the park last saturday.

Only when these dinosaurs realise that football has changed will clubs be able to play the kind of football we are trying to play this season.

Erskine is one of the best players at the club , when he went off against Hamilton the shape of the team went to shit and we started punting the ball forward. Take a wider view of the game and watch the positions the likes of Erskine and Lawless take up then you will see why they are so key to the formation we are playing and the football we want to play

A wee bit harsh on the 60s & 70s, Junior. There were countless quality creative midfielders (wing halves and inside forwards who played deep) who you could hardly describe as kick and rush. If anything the impatient, direct, punting the ball upfield stuff was more prominent in later decades as quality midfielders became thinner on the ground.

That said I know what you're meaning and completely agree that a lot of fans don't see the bigger picture so to speak. On Tuesday night as the game went on I thought the team lost a lot of discipline and Erskine going off didn't help. For all the kick and rush we hardly got in at goal at all.