Owen Joins Stoke City

sigesige00

Michael Owen has joined Stoke City.

Stoke City have Rory Delap, who has an incredible ability in throw-in.

Stoke City's home stadium pitch width is narrower than other stadium, in order to make Rory Delap's throw-ins more effective.

In my opinion this is cheating. All pitches must be 68m*105m.

And throw-in should be changed to kick-in, like Futsal. Pele was saying that throw-in should be changed to kick-in, in an interview by a football magazine.

Siggy, you SO need to order a Stoke top.

I think elephants must be introduced as compulsory half-time entertainment at EPL games. Also, we should have jumpers for goalposts so that Jeff Stelling from Sky can marvel at the beautiful game. Also, Liverpool should have an automatic deduction of 15 points at the start of next season cos C4 ditched Brookside all those years ago.

Oh, and yes, David Icke should host MOTD in his turquoise shellsuit.

Can you email FIFA for me to arrange these?

Thanks

Why is the thread titled Owen joins Stoke City when the reason for your post is to discuss pitch sizes (again) and throw in rules?

On topic, I wasn't very happy about Stoke being interested in Owen but I've had a Man Utd fan telling me how great a signing it is on facebook. I feel that Owen's main strength was speed, and he's lost this. He could maybe still do a job for a big team who generate many chances and put them on a plate, but at Stoke forwards need to create the chances themselves, often by collecting aimless long balls. I feel that to get the best out of Owen, he has to come off the bench replacing Walters after he has been used to drag the defense around, partnering Crouch or Jones.

I don't like the modern name Stoke; I prefer Stoc, which is the original Old English word, meaning simply a 'place'. Stoc should be used at all times: this lets us know that it's just a place.

I have emailed the FA and the EPL to make my feelings known about this.

BJ, you are a mans man

Why is the thread titled Owen joins Stoke City when the reason for your post is to discuss pitch sizes (again) and throw in rules?

On topic, I wasn't very happy about Stoke being interested in Owen but I've had a Man Utd fan telling me how great a signing it is on facebook. I feel that Owen's main strength was speed, and he's lost this. He could maybe still do a job for a big team who generate many chances and put them on a plate, but at Stoke forwards need to create the chances themselves, often by collecting aimless long balls. I feel that to get the best out of Owen, he has to come off the bench replacing Walters after he has been used to drag the defense around, partnering Crouch or Jones.

I watched Stoke against somebody else on tv last week. Like last season, the Stoke team seems to be full of guys that would die for the cause. They're hard b*stards, not necessarily dirty, who seem to have a real desire to play for the jersey and for each other. Though they're not any kind of footballing geniuses, I have a kind of admiration for them.

I watched Stoke against somebody else on tv last week. Like last season, the Stoke team seems to be full of guys that would die for the cause. They're hard b*stards, not necessarily dirty, who seem to have a real desire to play for the jersey and for each other. Though they're not any kind of footballing geniuses, I have a kind of admiration for them.

yeah alot of folk hate them because of the long throw tactics but I don't see what is wrong with it and they are about the only team in the world that actually take advantage of it. Its great to see Wilko in the Premiership after being with us, I like big Huth and Jon Walters aswell, they would run through a brick wall for the team.

Stoc manager Tony Pulis was born and raised in the Pill area of Newport in Wales. He is famously follicly challenged.

Michael Owen is a keen follower of horse racing. He is also an occasional professional footballer, formerly with Liverpool FC where he scored a number of goals.

Stop making me laugh out loud at work. This is the NHS, I'm in danger of deafening my colleagues ears...

Yeah, far too many people confuse hard with dirty. The problem is when you give the opposition so much time on the ball, you need to put in far more tackles and there is a larger chance of getting one completely wrong.

I see Stoke as a good squad of Championship/lower end Premiership players who function incredibly well as a team.

Like JoT, I cannot understand the criticism of using throw-ins as an attacking advantage. The proposal of using kick-ins is stupid, a corner should be more advantageous than a throw in (unless you have a good throw in taker). Stoke aren't the only premiership team to use long throws, they're just the best at it. I think it was Wolves who scored from a long throw against Stoke a year or two back. Delap barely gets a game any more, but Shotton has a long but less dangerous throw on him. I don't see the harm in most teams training a winger or defensive midfielder to be able to do this, it's just a little extra upper body work that could be added to a gym session. Obviously teams like us who gain our chances through flowing passing and movement off the ball creating gaps wouldn't benefit as greatly from this, but in previous years when we've been more direct (like under lambie with Craigan) it can be a great advantage.

The most important change to football would be to increase the size of the goals. Average height of goalkeepers way back when the size was prescribed was probably 5ft 2. Now it's easily 6ft 4 resulting in more goals more attempts and more entertainment, just ask the fabulous SPHell for their 0-0 list this season !!

I don't like the modern name Stoke; I prefer Stoc, which is the original Old English word, meaning simply a 'place'. Stoc should be used at all times: this lets us know that it's just a place.

I have emailed the FA and the EPL to make my feelings known about this.

hahahaha I'm the same as Sandy working on a ward and just burst into laughter at that post! nice to see your taxpayers pounds hard at work in nhs!

Sig do you like futsal? you should've mentioned that earlier I don't think many people on the forum know this.

Going back to the original post, Owen's stables are near Stoke and he can commute easily from his home in North Wales.

I have to agree about the pitch size. Stoke have to enlarge the pitch for European games. It is then reduced again for domestic matches.

IIRC "Old Rangers" did the opposite under Souness. The pitch size was narrowed in a European game as a tactic to thwart the threat of the opposition's wingers. The old markings were still visible and the opposition were nor pleased to say the least. Souness may also have used the same tactic at Liverpool.

The pitch dimensions vary considerably - up to 6 yards in length - in the EPL. The biggest pitches are at Old Trafford and the Etihad stadium. Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham and Fulham have the shortest pitches.

I have actually watched matches with kick-ins instead of throw-ins. They experimented with it (fifa approved) in the English lower leagues some years ago ( the match I remember was Harrow Boro v Yeading). It was awful and simply encouraged a "long ball, win a kick-in and put it in the mixer" kind of play. The experiment was correctly deemed a failure

I have actually watched matches with kick-ins instead of throw-ins. They experimented with it (fifa approved) in the English lower leagues some years ago ( the match I remember was Harrow Boro v Yeading). It was awful and simply encouraged a "long ball, win a kick-in and put it in the mixer" kind of play. The experiment was correctly deemed a failure

Exactly, it should be harder to win the right to kick the ball in. To win a corner you often need to get to the by line or force a save from the keeper, whereas you can win throw ins with punts down the wing and pressurising the full back.

A kick-in is too big a reward for the ball going out of play at the sides of the pitch. That's why we have throw-ins.

They actually tried the kick in a season in the Ryman league in England round about the mid 90's- it was crap to watch and slowed the game down no end as team would hold off taking the kick until all their big guys got up to the penalty box