Anyone Else Worried . . .

Just Another Username

. . . that Paton and Murray's style of play so far this season is going to end up with one (or both) getting suspended (hopefully not at the same time) and we don't have the personnel to fill the gap? I know we have rowser but I think we might struggle as the two of them seem to be picking up bookings in most games so far.

I suspect McNamara has something in mind for the eventuality of Murray being suspended for a while (he's far more likely than anyone else). It will either be Rowson or one of the new players brought in to do the same job. Might even be Bannigan, though he isn't as hard as Murray I think he can play that bringing the ball out from the back role and reads the game well.

At the start of the season we thought we'd struggle if Doolan was out. OK we got the last minute signing of Craig but when he went off against Livvy Elliot played well. So we have options.

A final thing: at the start of the season Murray seemed to be a (type of) player we'd needed for a long time, breaking up opposition attacks, always available when a player needed an out, etc. and his experience was vital to the team. But as the team get more confident with every win, I think that though still an important player for us he's no longer a player we can't do without. If that turns out to be true then Murray will have completed the job he was brought in to do.

Rowson will be back soon - problem solved.

Now can we have the next problem that doesn't yet exist please?

It sounds as if Rowson is a few games away from being available for the first-team - http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2012-2013/september_2012/david_rowson_on_the_comeback_trail

I am more concerned that we lack cover in central defence. I noticed that "Lindsay" played as a sub against Dumbarton reserves last night. Was that the Johnny Lindsay that we released recently?

I think it is important to remember the only game we have lost was in Hamilton when Murray was out. Although on a game by game basis Murray never seems to stand out clearly his influence and off the ball work can make the difference between winning and losing.

Rowson is a great player and does a power of work but can sometimes almost try too much and leave areas exposed. This season we have a full team of workers and that allows Murray to sit in and stay calm. I'm more than happy for either to be in the team, two great players, the fact we are even discussing this issue is a credit to the team.

I think it is important to remember the only game we have lost was in Hamilton when Murray was out. Although on a game by game basis Murray never seems to stand out clearly his influence and off the ball work can make the difference between winning and losing.

Rowson is a great player and does a power of work but can sometimes almost try too much and leave areas exposed. This season we have a full team of workers and that allows Murray to sit in and stay calm. I'm more than happy for either to be in the team, two great players, the fact we are even discussing this issue is a credit to the team.

The thing is, we've been using Rowson for a few years in a much more defensive role than I think he suits. He can be very good as a defensive midfielder and provides good cover from there for wing backs who have committed themselves forwards. however I think he can dictate play a little further up the pitch, similar to my understanding of Paton's role now. In actual fact, Rowson, Bannigan, Paton and Murray are all fairly interchangeable, though the impact these changes could have is yet to be seen.

The thing is, we've been using Rowson for a few years in a much more defensive role than I think he suits. He can be very good as a defensive midfielder and provides good cover from there for wing backs who have committed themselves forwards. however I think he can dictate play a little further up the pitch, similar to my understanding of Paton's role now. In actual fact, Rowson, Bannigan, Paton and Murray are all fairly interchangeable, though the impact these changes could have is yet to be seen.

Very true. I often think a player should be rated on how hard he is to play against from the oppositions perspective and certainly Rowson must make life difficult with his aggressive nature defensively and going forward. I can't think of many other players that do this at our level. Every team needs a nutter like Scott Brown to harrass the opponents but a team with Welsh, Paton and Rowson would have three such players and could rattle any team.

I agree they are all fairly interchangeable and it has been stressed by Jackie Mac that his intentions are to have a team where most players are useful in a variety of positions. With Elliot having a good performance and Rowson almost back, as well as the addition of Forbes and Craig, we now have a good bench which was a major worry for me only a couple of weeks ago.

What worries me more is the prospect of losing Erskine in May. Hope JM is working hard to get him to stay aboard.

I posted a similar comment on the Erskine thread earlier today. Doolan's contract expires next May too so we could lose them both for nothing like Cairney this year. They need to sign new deals asap.

I posted a similar comment on the Erskine thread earlier today. Doolan's contract expires next May too so we could lose them both for nothing like Cairney this year. They need to sign new deals asap.

Jackie mentioned both and said that due to there age they want to moving up both in money and in leauges and dosent think they will stay if jags dont go up, wont stop him offering contract but he needs to be realistic

So what? Are you saying that we won't get red cards in the league? IIRC Jags saw red last year, e.g. Archie.

I'm going to predict we won't get any red cards this season.

Why are people worrying about this? Just enjoy the fact we're top of the league, playing great stuff and no-one can live with us.

I'm going to predict we won't get any red cards this season.

Why are people worrying about this? Just enjoy the fact we're top of the league, playing great stuff and no-one can live with us.

If you are predicting no red cards, you must have a higher opinion of our league's referees than most of the posters here. Players are always at risk at getting red cards if the ref makes a mistake. The ref may see a good tackle as dangerous. He may send a player for a professional foul even though we think it's not a goalscoring opportunity.

I am just concerned about the lack of cover in central defence especially as the reserves (including Balatoni) conceded four goals to Dumbarton earlier in the week. Our squad is small so injuries and suspensions could cost us dearly. It's great to be top of the league but wrong to say that no one can live with us. The League Cup defeat by Hamilton showed that we are not invincible.