Just In ~ Dunfermline

Camallain

Most enjoyable day following Thistle since the promotion clincher at Love St. Team was superb to a man. It wasn't just the quality of the play but the quality of the goals too. How O'Donnell isn't in the Scotland u21 squad I'll never know. He's been excellent all season.

Had a good feeling about this team before the season started but they've exceeded even those expectations so far. Only negative has been the run of injuries over the last few weeks. Don't think we can afford too many more.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed today. the crowd was superb, heres hoping they all keep coming. the performance was again top class. never saw what happened to Fox as I was following the ball and only became aware of his injury when the booing started. would not be wanting they first aiders attending me, took them forever to get the stretcher round.

if we keep playing like that we will win this league at a canter.

I think that the booing was because of Dunfermline playing on when the could clearly see that Fox was in trouble.

I think the next big test for us will be that from now on teams will be setting themselves up not to get beat by us. We saw that happen at Falkirk after the 7-0 against Airdrie. After doing something similar to a team that (on paper) had as good a record as us and was top of the table more teams will defend against us, even at home. That's the one thing that might let Dunfermline come back at us.

On the other hand I feel McNamara showed yesterday he can be clever tactically - I think he himself is on a learning curve and will get better as a manager. And we have the players to unlock defences if they have belief in themselves which they must do now.

Sinclair, O'Donnell, Lawless and Erskine can beat a man and turn defences, and we have players that can score from outside the penalty area. And on top of that, this team has the willingness to keep going for 90 minutes and more.

As I said it will be a test but I'm sure we've got what it takes to pass it.

I think the next big test for us will be that from now on teams will be setting themselves up not to get beat by us. We saw that happen at Falkirk after the 7-0 against Airdrie. After doing something similar to a team that (on paper) had as good a record as us and was top of the table more teams will defend against us, even at home. That's the one thing that might let Dunfermline come back at us.

On the other hand I feel McNamara showed yesterday he can be clever tactically - I think he himself is on a learning curve and will get better as a manager. And we have the players to unlock defences if they have belief in themselves which they must do now.

Sinclair, O'Donnell, Lawless and Erskine can beat a man and turn defences, and we have players that can score from outside the penalty area. And on top of that, this team has the willingness to keep going for 90 minutes and more.

As I said it will be a test but I'm sure we've got what it takes to pass it.

I think you're right. Against the ranks of defensive walls that Falkirk set up we struggled to get in and behind them from slow-starting moves; it seemed that there was a lack of movement up front (same as at Greenock). Where we've shown real flair is by building the move and then rushing at and through or past defenders at pace. It's great to watch when it comes off, and great to see what part of the field it's going to come from next. Thistle must be a nightmare to play against at the moment (unless you simply want to try to kill the game by refusing to attack).

One of the best games I have ever attended. The atmosphere and joy I felt was up there with France v Scotland and the Faddy goal. I had 2 mates from England at it and they were positive in everything they said about the team, crowd and atmosphere. The size of crowd and the buzz was amazing. I was feeling quite emotional at times. We still have a long way to go this season but that game was very, very enjoyable.

With regard to Dunfermline goal I believe we should be defending these free kicks with a much higher line. Got to question whether fox should have come out and dealt with it himself as well.

I shouted "Keeper" twice while that free kick was in the air...I really thought Fox could easily have cut out the cross. The ball was at knee height three yards from the goal line when Muirhead was forced into a desperate attempt to clear.

Should the goalkeeper's jersey not be a more contrasting colour ? That might explain why not everyone including the ref picked up that Fox was lying injured in the second half - that could have cost a goal...though Dunfermline sportingly shot past the post.

With regard to Dunfermline goal I believe we should be defending these free kicks with a much higher line. Got to question whether fox should have come out and dealt with it himself as well.

I thought Foxy may have been at fault. Muirhead should not have been in a position where he has to play the ball, facing his own goal, on the edge of the six yard box. I think Scott should have dealt with it. Good ball in by Dunfermline though- into that area that's difficult to defend.

I shouted "Keeper" twice while that free kick was in the air...I really thought Fox could easily have cut out the cross. The ball was at knee height three yards from the goal line when Muirhead was forced into a desperate attempt to clear.

Should the goalkeeper's jersey not be a more contrasting colour ? That might explain why not everyone including the ref picked up that Fox was lying injured in the second half - that could have cost a goal...though Dunfermline sportingly shot past the post.

:D

Some crackling photos there. Love the looks on the ball boys' faces as Forbes' screamer hits the net!

I agree- those photos of the game are excellent. However, one disappointing aspect is- if you look at one of the pics of Stevie O'Donnell celebrating his goal it looks as though he is running towards the JH putting his finger to his lips in a 'shooshing' motion. Obviously aware of the wholly unmerited abuse dished out to him at times by some of the less descerning members of our support this season and last.

I agree- those photos of the game are excellent. However, one disappointing aspect is- if you look at one of the pics of Stevie O'Donnell celebrating his goal it looks as though he is running towards the JH putting his finger to his lips in a 'shooshing' motion. Obviously aware of the wholly unmerited abuse dished out to him at times by some of the less descerning members of our support this season and last.

Don't you think it might have been aimed at the Pars fans?

O'Donnell is one of our best players. Exciting and skillful.

I thought Foxy may have been at fault. Muirhead should not have been in a position where he has to play the ball, facing his own goal, on the edge of the six yard box. I think Scott should have dealt with it. Good ball in by Dunfermline though- into that area that's difficult to defend.

Fox does seem to be one of those keepers who prefers to stay on his line when there's a corner or free kick sent into the box. He must prefer to let the defenders deal with it if they can and take his chances with a save on the line if somebody does get a head or a shot in. Aaron showed him the price that has to be paid at times for that tactic!

That isn't what he was doing at all. Look at the highlights from the other thread- he kisses his finger and points at the crowd, as many players do.

That isn't what he was doing at all. Look at the highlights from the other thread- he kisses his finger and points at the crowd, as many players do.

He may well be, but the point still remains: some of the abuse that I've heard being shouted at Stevie- and Erskine btw- this season and last has been rather unhelpful. Good to see both players dealing with it in the best possible way.

Firstly, thank you to Robphil for that highly evocative yet so appropriately poignant post.

I have nothing to add to all the above fitting tributes to this simply brilliant Partick Thistle performance yesterday. I honestly experienced a vibe that I can't say I've had since the great day. I truthfully hardly got a wink of sleep last night just buzzing about what I witnessed between 3 and 5pm. I've massively burst my phone and text allowances letting the world and his dug know how sensational we actually were against a battered and beleaguered Dunfermline side.

The feeling in my body is that we won something yesterday - a major trophy or a title; we didn't, we won a game of football against a rival outfit, BUT we were brilliant - again, and my instincts tell me we are as good as we've ever been and that we'll now progress onto bigger and better things. At this moment in time we're probably the second best team in Scotland: that is that I accept Celtic's win against Barcelona gives them a faint edge over us.

We Are Thistle.

That is the best game I've seen at Firhill in god knows how long. It pleased me particularly how we played as well as we have in years when so many lapsed fans were there. All too often in recent years we've laid an egg when theres been a decent turn out - Dundee a couple of years ago, the replay against the h*ns, even the game Tuffey ****** up the backpass against Clyde. I reckon many of them will be back on a regular basis. I noticed one boy I know from where I stay who has barely been going in recent years and I clocked him there with his old man. As has been said, word has obviously been spreading on how good we are and a lot of people who previously hadn't seen the team will have seen so for themselves now. The task is now to keep these people, many of whom I'd imagine were disenchanted by the pish served up by the likes of the Bunnet and the previously disasterous BoD. I think its particularly key we avoid losing the next few league games for the meantime. I think there will be a massive support at the Accies game, and if we were to go there and lose 1-0 in a stinker of a game, which knowing how Billy Reid likes to play and the potential comedown from this game, its possible. I think we absolutely have to avoid that now more so than any other time in the season as just like that these fans could disappear again.

Forbes was a totally different player to the one I seen in his first couple of games. Best goal I've probably seen at Firhill since Roberts was here. I could go on and on. McGuigan looks much leaner than he did the last time I seen him.

Never seen the Star and Garter so consistently busy for ages after the game, usually it dies a death about 6 o'clock, but it was still going strong long after then.

He ran right across to where we were seated (right next to away support) and I never really noticed anything other than joy. Prior to the 2nd goal, he'd been getting plenty abuse from the Pars fans so if there was any gesture, I'd imagine it was directed at them.

Back home after a cold but fruitful weekend.

Reading here about people moaning about the lack of crowd numbers at Firhill in recent times, I was shocked to hear the lad behind me saying 5,268 late in the 2nd half. Great atmosphere at the North Stand. People love some banter with rival team and the singing was pure fun.

Best thing about Forbes belter was that, those of us who were in the North Stand saw the ball going directly into the top corner well before it had crossed the line. The YESSSSSS shout from fans was beginning from with the ball only half way through towards Pars´goalie.

O´Donnell had a great game too but I must say that, having not watched Erskine play before in a live match other than a live stream from Cowden´s cup semi, he´s easily the club´s best assett. He´s some player, has speed, good ball control, gets away easily from defenders and a magnificent left foot. As soon as he improves the physical aspect of the game, he will be much better than many SPL wingers.

On another day, I´d like to have some words about the only thing I didn´t like about the team, that 20 minute bad patch between the first and third goals. I know some of you don´t like the team passing the ball one to each other at the back and in midfield ( just like Barca) but that´s exactly what the team lacks to be a near-perfection footie team. Just as the team were taking some breath because of the extreme effort at the start of the game, a pivotal man was needed to receive and return passes, I think Forbes should be in charge of that. In that spell the team did not do well, lost some key passes in their own half and allowed Dunfermline to create some good chances. Thankfully they didn´t take them.

Looking forward to go back and take another home game. After Falkirk away in March and last Saturday, they team has improved a million years.

Edited by Spanish Jag

I think Saturday was a game-changer for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, it has marked us out as the team to beat in this division, in my opinion. Not only did we dismantle Dunfermline, we did so without three of our top performers so far this season in Bannigan, Craig and, most importantly, Welsh.

However, I think Saturday was significant for another reason. I've long thought that if a team could stop our full backs and limit our width, we'd have a problem; so much of our good play is facilitated by O'Donnell and Bannigan/Sinclair. But we've now discovered O'Donnell can play in midfield and can play very well there too. He offers the same threat as he does from full back but it's far more difficult to stop him when he has more space to work with and run into from the middle of the park. We've now got another option if we are struggling to break a team down.

Despite what Jackie has said about trying to fool Jeffries, I think Muirhead was moved over to combat Cardle who I suspect the management team expected to start given the width of the pitch. Had O'Donnell remained at full back, there would have been a bigger onus on him to get back and defend against Cardle.

All that said, I wouldn't be too keen to see Muirhead become a regular at full back. He performed well on Saturday, and I know that is the position he played at Annan, but he's arguably been the best centre half in the league so far and I tend to feel his talents would be wasted somewhat were he to play at full back. However, for Friday's game, I cannot see how Jackie could possibly change the team so I suspect he'll probably continue there for the moment.

With regards to the game, I can't really add to what's already been said in this thread; just a fantastic day. I thought Forbes was the best player on the pitch and he found an extra yard of pace once "that goal" went in. I'm obviously slightly biased but I very much hope we can offer him a contract until the end of the season, if not longer. Concerned about Fox's absence but trust Jackie to get it right. Top of the list for January really has to be new contracts for O'Donnell, Paton, Erskine and Doolan; I suspect though that we'll lose at least one of those players, irrelevant of whether we go up or not.

I'll end on what I said after the game - when people ask you why you support Partick Thistle, it's because of days like Saturday.

As I had previously said this was my first game since 1991. It was the best 24 hours in a long long time. Landed in glasgow and strolled around with guge excitement. The only downer was the shocking service on the star and garter before the game. Didn't stop me going there after. Stayed there for a few hours after. Great banter. As for the game is there anything that hasn't already been said??!! Mon the jags.