Last Minute Goals

p12tfc

Ive been watching Thistle for 16 years now since a 1-0 win over Motherwell in 1996. Over those years ive seen many ups and plenty more downs!

However, one thing which has bugged me all those years is the fact that the number of last minute " game changing " goals ( winners or equalisers ) that thistle have conceded seems to far far far outweigh the number that we have scored.

There has been plenty we have conceded like today or the two we let in in injury time to draw 2-2 with st johnstone at firhill 3 or 4 years ago but the only couple i can really remember us scoring was at peterhead at dundee ( not sure what minute gibsons goal was in ).

I appreciate there will have been other occasions where we have snatched a point or all 3 in the dying minutes but does anyone else feel it seems to happen far more against us than for us?

Ive been watching Thistle for 16 years now since a 1-0 win over Motherwell in 1996. Over those years ive seen many ups and plenty more downs!

However, one thing which has bugged me all those years is the fact that the number of last minute " game changing " goals ( winners or equalisers ) that thistle have conceded seems to far far far outweigh the number that we have scored.

There has been plenty we have conceded like today or the two we let in in injury time to draw 2-2 with st johnstone at firhill 3 or 4 years ago but the only couple i can really remember us scoring was at peterhead at dundee ( not sure what minute gibsons goal was in ).

I appreciate there will have been other occasions where we have snatched a point or all 3 in the dying minutes but does anyone else feel it seems to happen far more against us than for us?

I would suggest we had more last season ( again stato's will correct me ) !

Edited by Jaggy1967

I was going to ask the same question. I've been a Jags Fan for the past 54 yrs and I can't honestly remember

if we have won a game at the very lasy minute of a game. You have to remember that it was only a few years

ago that FIFA brought in the added time on factor. We didn't have that in the old days, we had to rely on the Ref's

discretion for any added time on. I would say that this added time on is Great if it is an advantage to your team but

a blight on the gane if goes against your team. Look at Rangers against Queens Park a couple of weeks ago for

example or even Man Utd against West Ham on the weekend. How can we be sure that th Ref is going to play the

exact added time on anyway? Last night i watched West Sydney Wanderers at home to the Central Coast Mariners

and there was 6 mins added time due to some idiot at the Wanderers end throwing a firecracker onto the field. The

Mariners scored a second goal in this time to win the game 2-0.

I just feel that Thistle have had more against them as added time compared to winning in added time if you gt my drift.

This season we've scored away to Raith in injury time to draw and at home against them with 3 minutes to go to win. We also were 4-3 down to QP with a minute to go and won 5-4 in case anyone forgot that.

By contrast Saturday was the first "vital" injury time goal we've conceded this season. Morton scored after 84 minutes but the ref played 5 minutes injury time as well so it's not as if we had no time to reply.

Last season might have been worse as we lost a few early on in the season (Dundee on day 1, Hamilton in one of the cups)- although I can also remember Doolan scoring late on at Cappielow to win as well. Someone with a lot of free time and trust in soccerbase could probably go through and see the last 10 years as an experiment. I think we'd come out about even.

Last season might have been worse as we lost a few early on in the season (Dundee on day 1, Hamilton in one of the cups)- although I can also remember Doolan scoring late on at Cappielow to win as well. Someone with a lot of free time and trust in soccerbase could probably go through and see the last 10 years as an experiment. I think we'd come out about even.

I suspect that's true for most teams. Swings and roundabouts, it evens itself out over time.

Deja vu apart from a different result, score line and time of the season? :P

Aye well now you mention it :D

More to the point going to Livingston is about as depressing as it gets. The result thus all the more important. That's twice in consecutive seasons a last minute goal has been a hard one to take, especially there.

*All minutes have been decided by Soccerbase. Simply been plucked from there*

Since 1st January 2000:

PTFC have scored 31 90th minute goals.

PTFC have conceded 33 90th minute goals.

90th minute goals FOR have given PTFC 16 points.

90th minute goals AGAINST have cost PTFC 21 points.

I intend on going further back, as far as records allow.

*All minutes have been decided by Soccerbase. Simply been plucked from there*

Since 1st January 2000:

PTFC have scored 31 90th minute goals.

PTFC have conceded 33 90th minute goals.

90th minute goals FOR have given PTFC 16 points.

90th minute goals AGAINST have cost PTFC 21 points.

I intend on going further back, as far as records allow.

Interesting. Pretty much even. Suggests when we score/concede last min goals it often ends in a draw. Which goes in line with this season.

Didn't Liam Buchanan score a last-minute goal to win us some kind of cup match against Dunfermline at Firhill a few seasons ago? I seem to remember it was midweek.

87th minute goal. I only included goals that were marked "90" by Soccerbase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaP3Z72GJnk

It was THIS game.

Interesting. Pretty much even. Suggests when we score/concede last min goals it often ends in a draw. Which goes in line with this season.

Goals AGAINST: 12 of them had no effect on the outcome of the game(We were losing/winning and we still went onto lose/win)

Goals FOR: 13 of them had no effect on the outcome of the game.

I'll happily upload details of them when I finish going further back.