Mcnamara Interview

little_miss_jag

Interesting interview with Jackie in todays Herald.

http://www.heraldsco...unters.19832234

Jackie makes an interesting point in regards to players wages.

"The average wage is probably half of what Thistle players got a few years ago," McNamara said. "We are a full-time team but we pay part-time [wages]. Players who are part-time can get more than my players. We lost older players last year. That is why the age group is coming down. We have players at 19 or 20, who maybe live with their parents. To survive on the money we give them, is hard.

Our average is £250-a-week. It is not a lot more than that. Compared to the first-teamers when I began at Dunfermline [who were also in the First Division in the early 1990s] it is not a lot. The cost of living is much higher now. It is difficult for them."

There was a few people in the just in thread suggesting we fine Welsh for making a mistake and getting the red card. Do people think that it is fair to fine a player a weeks wage for poor discipline when their wage so little in the 1st place?

Jackie also talks about league reconstruction and I think he does agree with the majority that the proposals are not great but he would take it. I suppose anything which bring a little bit of excitement and life to Scottish football is no bad thing.

"The other clubs in this division are like ourselves, trying to get to the next level, but with just one space it is really difficult," said McNamara. "It has to change. The SPL does not work, although this season has probably been the best SPL that I can remember.

"We need a bigger league, of 16. For me, the 'two 12s' idea is not the best scenario, but I would take it. It is hard for the teams who have come up. The gulf is still too big between them and the rest of the SPL. We also need to bring back play-offs. I was involved in the play-off against Aberdeen when I was with Dunfermline. Both grounds were sell-outs for the two games and it brought excitement."

Anyways a good interview with Jackie and well worth a read.

Edited by little_miss_jag

That is an interesting interview. What I'd be keen to know is what our wage scale would be if we were to go up. I'd hate to think we'd be paying Mickey Mouse wages in the SPL, with the obvious result that we'd come crashing straight down again. While I understand why we operate a tight fiscal ship, there's fair chance that our better young players will be keeping a beady eye on the transfer market.

I hope the club are giving the players reasonable hope that promotion WILL be rewarded and that there IS a good reason to stay with Thistle for the foreseeable future.

I think after that interview no one can question the commitment of the players and management to the cause.

If we do lose players to other teams then that is totally understandable given the kind of money they are on.

Wonder what kind of bonus is in place if we're promoted?

A nice piece of realism which should silence the naysayers and doubters amongst us. Fact we have hardly any money, fact we don't pay our players a lot of money. Fact on the whole our play has been different class this season and I for one am not going to engage in OF-esque carping at being two points adeift with two games in hand. Having had to endure the reign's of Lamont and Campbell, we are in so much better a position now. Most importantly. I know look forward to watching Thistle and don't go along out of a sense of duty, accompanied byan even greater sense of dread.

I assume that the £250 a week average (£13,000 a year) includes the modern apprentices. Are our players allowed to have other jobs? If not, it's easy to understand why young players with talent and potential choose other careers over professional football.

I assume that the £250 a week average (£13,000 a year) includes the modern apprentices. Are our players allowed to have other jobs? If not, it's easy to understand why young players with talent and potential choose other careers over professional football.

I would assume likewise because, firstly, there is no way that guys like Murray are playing for £250 per week, full time and, secondly, otherwise the figures just don't add up. We were told by the club, recently, that we had CUT the wage bill last year to just over £700,000. 24 players on £250 per week average is £312,000. There is surely no way our first team squad is less than half of the annual wage bill?

I suspect we pay a low basic with decent bonuses?

Exactly....would imagine the win bonus is pretty good but even so, those wages are poor and by puting them out in the domain it will only tempt SPHell clubs to come in and tempt our better players away. Dont think anyone on here could complain if players on that type of wage wanted to move on. McNamara has interviews all over the place today and the one thing that caught my eye was in one he said that he had a player in the team that started the season with a part time club where the player was earning more than he was currently getting at Firhill......Ross Forbes is the only one that springs to mind!!

Edited by Lindau

Exactly....would imagine the win bonus is pretty good but even so, those wages are poor and by puting them out in the domain it will only tempt SPHell clubs to come in and tempt our better players away. Dont think anyone on here could complain if players on that type of wage wanted to move on. McNamara has interviews all over the place today and the one thing that caught my eye was in one he said that he had a player in the team that started the season with a part time club where the player was earning more than he was getting at Firhill......Ross Forbes is the only one that springs to mind!!

when did Aaron Muirhead join us?

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Interesting interview with Jackie in todays Herald.

http://www.heraldsco...unters.19832234

Jackie makes an interesting point in regards to players wages.

"The average wage is probably half of what Thistle players got a few years ago," McNamara said. "We are a full-time team but we pay part-time [wages]. Players who are part-time can get more than my players. We lost older players last year. That is why the age group is coming down. We have players at 19 or 20, who maybe live with their parents. To survive on the money we give them, is hard.

Our average is £250-a-week. It is not a lot more than that. Compared to the first-teamers when I began at Dunfermline [who were also in the First Division in the early 1990s] it is not a lot. The cost of living is much higher now. It is difficult for them."

There was a few people in the just in thread suggesting we fine Welsh for making a mistake and getting the red card. Do people think that it is fair to fine a player a weeks wage for poor discipline when their wage so little in the 1st place?

Jackie also talks about league reconstruction and I think he does agree with the majority that the proposals are not great but he would take it. I suppose anything which bring a little bit of excitement and life to Scottish football is no bad thing.

"The other clubs in this division are like ourselves, trying to get to the next level, but with just one space it is really difficult," said McNamara. "It has to change. The SPL does not work, although this season has probably been the best SPL that I can remember.

"We need a bigger league, of 16. For me, the 'two 12s' idea is not the best scenario, but I would take it. It is hard for the teams who have come up. The gulf is still too big between them and the rest of the SPL. We also need to bring back play-offs. I was involved in the play-off against Aberdeen when I was with Dunfermline. Both grounds were sell-outs for the two games and it brought excitement."

Anyways a good interview with Jackie and well worth a read.

They wil double their wages on bonus. Yes I would still fine them because if not how will they learn.

Sean Welsh will sit in the stand next week and will still have taken home more than young Stuart Bannigan who gives everything for the football club and doesn't get himself sent off.

Very few of us on here get paid for not turning upto work. this same principle applies to Sean Welsh and any other player who feels the need to get himself sent off.

They wil double their wages on bonus. Yes I would still fine them because if not how will they learn.

Sean Welsh will sit in the stand next week and will still have taken home more than young Stuart Bannigan who gives everything for the football club and doesn't get himself sent off.

Very few of us on here get paid for not turning upto work. this same principle applies to Sean Welsh and any other player who feels the need to get himself sent off.

I am sure there are other ways to make a player learn.

As far as i am aware Welsh went to work yesterday played 89 minutes made a stupid mistake and was sent off.

See when you go to work and make a mistake does your employer fine you a weeks wages?

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I am sure there are other ways to make a player learn.

As far as i am aware Welsh went to work yesterday played 89 minutes made a stupid mistake and was sent off.

See when you go to work and make a mistake does your employer fine you a weeks wages?

I'd be disciplined. I dont think I would be fined as this isn't inline practice in the profession.

In football, a well known and used way to discipline and discourage is too fine a player.

When we were last in SPL under Lambie the max wage was £500 which was enhanced by appearances then win/draw bonus.

Of be very surprised if any of current 1st team squad were on £250 basic as that figure prob includes all players, inc modern apprentices.

Totally agree....i believe Jackie is embroidering the truth here.....there will be add ons which he does not mention..why I don't know

I do agree. I think tho' you have to separate match suspensions for sendings off like Welsh's yesterday and Craig's v Cove with the likes of Muirhead's and Murray's at Forfar.

As said elsewhere I'm a bit miffed with silly bookings the type that Paton used to pick up, which of course would lead to a later suspension. Tho' I struggle to recall the instances I think there's been quite a few daft yellows handed out already this season

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I do agree. I think tho' you have to separate match suspensions for sendings off like Welsh's yesterday and Craig's v Cove with the likes of Muirhead's and Murray's at Forfar.

As said elsewhere I'm a bit miffed with silly bookings the type that Paton used to pick up, which of course would lead to a later suspension. Tho' I struggle to recall the instances I think there's been quite a few daft yellows handed out already this season

Completely agree. Professional fouls are part and parcel of the game. Bookings, particularly for dissent, are the worst.

In terms of the financial side, I believe we do economise the truth at Firhill. We are always keen to discuss how little money we have, and this may be the case, but when a player is "needed", for example Conrad Balatoni last year, Hugh Murray in summer and Stevie Craig this transfer window we by in large do get our man.

There is no way Hugh Murray/Archi/Sean Welsh are on £250 a week. I really don't understand Jackie's logic in making such comments. There will be guys on a low basic with a decent bonus system. There will be others who will be on more than £250. Discuss the whole system Jackie not just the basic wage, it doesn't paint the full picture (maybe its just the picture that we want others to see...).