Bill Mchaffie

little_miss_jag

Exactly what I did with Alan Dickson for the jagscast a couple of years ago.

Is old Harry still going strong? I remember his grandaughter was a steward at the city end for years, lovely lassie. She used to go with him to the away games as well.

Very sad to hear of Bill's death. Condolences to the family.

Hi I'm Harry's other grand daughter (Heather) he is still going to the home games you'll find him in the main stand bar before home games having a Miller. Mary goes to the games with him and doesn't steward now. Harry's great grandaughter Cara (4years old) has a season ticket and has now got the bug. He is 94 in April and still goes to bingo every day apart from when Thistle are at home. He got recognition at the City Chambers a couple of years back (I want to say for the Centenary but I might be wrong). He is also a lifetime member of the Jackie Husband bus if he decides to go to an away game. He has his ticket for the cup final and is looking forward to it. And yeah he is still a cantakerous auld b! Haha.

Thank you to everyone who came to Dads funeral yesterday or sent apologies or messages of support sharing in what was a “Celebration of his life”. I was glad colours were visible and I know both mum and Morag were happy as ‘The Jags’ and Firhill was a huge part of his life hence the ‘Red & Yellow’ flowers. (The undertaker even had a Thistle plaque put on the coffin). I guess some of you half expected Dad to walk across the front of the church with Hymn numbers displayed on the Half-time Draw board or Tommy Taylor might even have expected Dad to pop up with a camera to get a picture of who was there in the crowd. If Funerals can be good I think yesterday was a good and fitting farewell and helped us cope.

We even had a few in attendance from a wee third division club from Govan and the good old fashioned past-time of ‘H*n-baiting’ was alive and kicking at the tea afterwards. :sarcastic: Watching Robert Reid in action playing his part in commiserating with them and trying to get them to seek forgiveness and offered them the opportunity to repent and see the error of their ways was fun.

One part of the Eulogy we felt we couldn’t ask the minister to read out, you will be pleased (although not surprised) that in keeping with our song. . . “If you want to go to Heaven when you die, You must wear a Thistle Scarf and Thistle Tie.”

Well, my Dad had both his scarf and his tie and just to make sure he wore his lapel badge. :fan:

Now then, I cannot afford any more hankies so let’s get this First Division Championship sorted and the Ramsden Cup and we’ll all be happy!

Neil McHaffie

RIP Dad

• Like 6

Thank you to everyone who came to Dads funeral yesterday or sent apologies or messages of support sharing in what was a “Celebration of his life”. I was glad colours were visible and I know both mum and Morag were happy as ‘The Jags’ and Firhill was a huge part of his life hence the ‘Red & Yellow’ flowers. (The undertaker even had a Thistle plaque put on the coffin). I guess some of you half expected Dad to walk across the front of the church with Hymn numbers displayed on the Half-time Draw board or Tommy Taylor might even have expected Dad to pop up with a camera to get a picture of who was there in the crowd. If Funerals can be good I think yesterday was a good and fitting farewell and helped us cope.

We even had a few in attendance from a wee third division club from Govan and the good old fashioned past-time of ‘H*n-baiting’ was alive and kicking at the tea afterwards. :sarcastic: Watching Robert Reid in action playing his part in commiserating with them and trying to get them to seek forgiveness and offered them the opportunity to repent and see the error of their ways was fun.

One part of the Eulogy we felt we couldn’t ask the minister to read out, you will be pleased (although not surprised) that in keeping with our song. . . “If you want to go to Heaven when you die, You must wear a Thistle Scarf and Thistle Tie.”

Well, my Dad had both his scarf and his tie and just to make sure he wore his lapel badge. :fan:

Now then, I cannot afford any more hankies so let’s get this First Division Championship sorted and the Ramsden Cup and we’ll all be happy!

Neil McHaffie

RIP Dad

That brought a lump to my throat god bless your dad the last sentence was very poignent pin that up for the players to see

• 2 months later...

Shame that Bill didnt make it to see this wonderful day. I hope he is up there partying with my dad and grandfather and all other sadly missed jags fans especially my big Jags mate Jimmy Thompson as well.

Edited by Lindau

I'm new to the forum so reading this today is the first I learned of Bill's passing. Never knew him at all, as a youngish fan I remember him as the wee smiley guy with the half time numbers board, I always looked forward to seeing him as he would always raise a chuckle. Excellent that in his last days he saw a Jags team he could be proud of. RIP.