Just In V Cowdenbeath

Hopeisimportant

Well, what a let off that was.

We started poorly, major warning sign from a Stevenson volley early on and then fell behind after just four minutes, nice acrobatic finish from Cowden's speedy forward.

But we didn't fold and came back into it. Controlled the game for most of the first half and deservedly level when Erskine got through and squared to Lawless. He hit it straight at the keeper but thankfully poked a second attempt in.

After that we created a few more openings, Erskine was lively going forward and could've scored on a few occasions but shots were too close to the keeper. Solid first half showing, should have been in front.

The fog started to descend midway through the first half and by half-time it was really bad. Both managers were asked if they wanted to play on at the start of the second half but it probably should've been called off by then. You couldn't see the dugouts from the stand opposite and there were spells of the match where most of the stadium had no idea what was happening.

Cowdenbeath seemed to cope better than us though, and got back in front (from what I could make out). We fell asleep down the right and Stevenson squared for the lad Moore to get his second. The ref had already spoken to both benches a couple of times before he decided to call it off five minutes later with 69 minutes on the clock.

A major let off, because Cowdenbeath were on the ascendancy in the second half. Not sure what happened to us after half-time, we went a bit sluggish. Maybe we were thinking it was going to get called off, or maybe we just didn't fancy it.

Ref said he called it when his linesman told him he couldn't see him when he went to the other side of the pitch. Cameron understably annoyed at the decision, said it was no worse midway through the half than it was when the ref called it.

Not sure about that personally, it seemed to be getting gradually worse as the night wore on. No way would it have been fair to continue. Archie relieved at the let off but said he was really disappointing by the performance.

It could turn out to be a major turning point if we win the re-arranged fixture there, whenever it happens. But it was another away match and another massive struggle. If we can't find a way to start winning on the road we're going to come up short.

Cowdenbeath could have been 3 or 4 up in the first 10 mins, i dont think we were in their half in that time. We then dominated the rest of the half making 7 or 8 good chances but only took one. The fog had been steadily getting worse as game wore on at half time i could just make out the dug outs on far side. It was 50/50 imo whether the game would continue after half time. It did continue and the fog got steadily worse cowdenbeath to their credit got a goal and will be raging that the game got abandoned but the ref made himself look a bigger fool than he had done already by letting the game continue. At times in 2nd half it was impossible to tell what was happening on the pitch. No tannoy anouncement re the arrangements for next game and no vouchers issued. So a let off for the Jags and i dont think JJ will have seen anything to trouble him for saturdays game.

Cameron was talking garbage on the radio, he must have been the only person in the stadium that could see the other end of the pitch, I think when our whole support is singing 'we canny see the ball' then that tells you everything. so glad that got called off, we should have been in front at half time yet again but woeful finishing is going to cost us this league. no one would have got pass marks tonight, the defence was a bombscare from start to finish, sinclair can't defend worth a feck and him and o'donnell's crossing was abysmal.erskine was looking lively and should have done better at a few chances.our away form is shocking, I don't know why we cant go to these teams and play our football like we do at Firhill, its probably something we will always have at Thistle, it doesn't matter who the manager is or what team we have it's always the same away from home, Saturday will be a tough test but based on that today I can't see us winning. for all the players twitter talk about #promotionbus I think we lack a bit of belief and there's only really erskine we can turn to for a bit of magic, everyone else is waiting for someone else to do something and we're lacking creativity big time. that wee Morton tadger will probably be pishin' his nappy reading this but the league is definitely theirs to lose.

Cameron was talking garbage on the radio, he must have been the only person in the stadium that could see the other end of the pitch,

I'd cut him some slack. I heard the interview and there wasn't really much difference in visibility (or lack of) when it was called off and when both managers were happy to continue at 1-1. Besides there's no way any spectator can get close enough to the pitch in that ground to make a valued judgment. It came as no surprise to me it was eventually abandoned but the actual timing of the decision, maybe even the decision itself, was probably a lot more marginal than it looked from the terracing or stand.

Football is a spectator sport. If the spectators cant see the game, it should be called off. I dont give two :censor: what Cameron could or couldn't see.

I agree but since when have spectators ever been taken into consideration?

As for the game itself I was annoyed at the lack of attention paid to Jamie Stevenson. Teams lower down the food chain all know not to give him space, especially early on before he tires, but we gave him no respect. Allowing guys like him to play freely is what could and will lose us points.

I'd cut him some slack. I heard the interview and there wasn't really much difference in visibility (or lack of) when it was called off and when both managers were happy to continue at 1-1. Besides there's no way any spectator can get close enough to the pitch in that ground to make a valued judgment. It came as no surprise to me it was eventually abandoned but the actual timing of the decision, maybe even the decision itself, was probably a lot more marginal than it looked from the terracing or stand.

I thought that visibility was better pitch side when I went down after the game than it was in the stand though I still felt that it had been the correct decision to abandon the match; albeit one that I feel should have been taken at least 10 minutes earlier.

Not least because, as Grant, points out it is a spectator sport.

Now would I have felt the same had we been winning 2-1? Hmmmmm.

I don't know why we cant go to these teams and play our football like we do at Firhill, its probably something we will always have at Thistle, it doesn't matter who the manager is or what team we have it's always the same away from home,

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. Our away record over the years is truly awful, and yet we continue to follow the team away in substantial numbers. Sooo glad I couldn't make it last night, but will be at Dunfermline on Saturday, expecting the worst, hoping for a surprise (i.e. a win).

We've got a real chance on Saturday. Dunfermline are in total disarray.

Ergo, Saturday will be the day the Pars put in a shockingly good performance and spank our butts, before returning to said dissaray and rolling over in every other game from now to end of the season. Its the Thistle way.

We'll still win the league though :)

Edited by yoda-jag

Ergo, Saturday will be the day the Pars put in a shockingly good performance and spank our butts, before returning to said dissaray and rolling over in every other game from now to end of the season. Its the Thistle way.

We'll still win the league though :)

I didn't dare express my real prediction about Saturday, but you've just done it for me.

But you've also expressed my feeling about the final outcome in this division.

I thought Cowdenbeath were well organised - pushed right up the park, played the offside trap (seemed as though every time we went forward was offiside), lots of overlaps on the wings. They also had some good performances in their team. We were good from 15 minutes to half time (although still skakey at the back) and then didn't show up for the second half. I thought Lawless, Banzo and S'OD had decent games - Muirhead, Murray and Sinclair didn't have the best of nights!

Jags fans gave top backing to the team despite the weather!

If we get out the traps quick on Saturday and get the first goal then I think the Pars heads'll go down!

Central Park is a SH!T3HOLE!

Football is a spectator sport. If the spectators cant see the game, it should be called off. I dont give two :censor: what Cameron could or couldn't see.

totally agree, just prove how much respect they have for the fans , even Archie when asked at half time should have called it right and gone with an abandonment , altho why the ref should make it the managers responsibilty here is beyond belief , he doesnt ask them if he should award a penalty when the situation calls for it !! wasn't there but from various comments and latest pics it looks like the right decision and while it may look like we got off the hook , who's to say we wouldnt have found a bit of magic in the last 20 plus minutes to score again twice , there was plenty of time for that !!

totally agree, just prove how much respect they have for the fans , even Archie when asked at half time should have called it right and gone with an abandonment , altho why the ref should make it the managers responsibilty here is beyond belief , he doesnt ask them if he should award a penalty when the situation calls for it !! wasn't there but from various comments and latest pics it looks like the right decision and while it may look like we got off the hook , who's to say we wouldnt have found a bit of magic in the last 20 plus minutes to score again twice , there was plenty of time for that !!

Turning on the magic in the last 20 mins when we're away from home isn't really our strongest point.....

I thought Cowdenbeath were well organised - pushed right up the park, played the offside trap (seemed as though every time we went forward was offiside), l

Agree and all the more remarkable as they had a guy in their defence just drafted in that day who they wouldn't have trained with. Before the game I was hopeful that would've been a bonus and we'd be able to exploit any indecision. Maybe the narrow pitch makes it much easier to marshal your defenders but ours were all over the place.