Football Please !

Harry Wragg

Not in agreement with " win at all costs " and am concerned with hearing comments like that from inside and outside Firhill. Whether we win or lose, I base my enjoyment (or otherwise) on the football dished up on the field and I've seen some great games at "Firhill for Thrills" even when we've lost !!! So even if we dont win the league this season I'd rather savour the memories of a very good entertaining Thistle side playing attacking football rather than the "sit in" defensive crap that Ross county continually dish up for their farmer fans who obvious ly wouldnt appreciate 90 minutes of beautiful footbal if it smashed them in the face , so please Archie , winning the league isnt the be all and end all, , giving us , your hard core , die hard Jags supporters the same forward thinking play we witnessed at the seasons start, is what will encourage more to come and watch the greatest team on earth !!!

Oh and have we forgotten the phrase " the best form of defence is attack " ?????

Edited by Harry Wragg

Not in agreement with " win at all costs " and am concerned with hearing comments like that from inside and outside Firhill. Whether we win or lose, I base my enjoyment (or otherwise) on the football dished up on the field and I've seen some great games at "Firhill for Thrills" even when we've lost !!! So even if we dont win the league this season I'd rather savour the memories of a very good entertaining Thistle side playing attacking football rather than the "sit in" defensive crap that Ross county continually dish up for their farmer fans who obvious ly wouldnt appreciate 90 minutes of beautiful footbal if it smashed them in the face , so please Archie , winning the league isnt the be all and end all, , giving us , your hard core , die hard Jags supporters the same forward thinking play we witnessed at the seasons start, is what will encourage more to come and watch the greatest team on earth !!!

Oh and have we forgotten the phrase " the best form of defence is attack " ?????

Its that old argument play good fitba and get beaten..do you want to get beaten?? Silky fitba has never won the first division.

Interesting. Ross County have just gone 3rd in the SPL. Boring football maybe, but effective. Morton have been getting slagged for their "punt and hope" approach, but I again think that's unfair. They've got good big forwards, and can play some decent stuff. Maybe not as tippy-tappy cute as us, but they are getting the results, and plenty of (away) goals too.

Some of our football has been great this season, but I for one would prefer 1-0 wins until the end of the season to coming second because we weren't able to create more aesthetically satisfying goals with our artistry.

Someone has been watching Barcelona and Real Madrid too much. In my almost 30 years of watching Thistle I've never seen us play free flowing, entertaining football for a whole season.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds but from here until the end of the season winning games is all that matters. I want Thistle to win the league and how we play to get there is secondary. I work with a Ross County fan and I have made comment on occasion about their style of play (although who can criticise them now?) however he knows that I would be more than happy for our clubs to swap places.

Concede consensus defeat !! How many of you were at Hampden to watch McParlands Magyars whip Celtic in '71 ? And think back to the recent 5-1 defeat of Dungfermline in the league this season , that was a joy to watch !! But seriously , I am reluctant to go along to watch any team hammer out a result , I am a football fan first and foremost !!

Aren't we all but realism creeps in sadly. Before every game I hope we play decent football and I am hoping we do so on Saturday. I'll take a 90th minute winner in off someone's arse for a 1-0 mind you

Agreed of course !! but would be so much better if the preceding 90 minutes were worth the watching !! I never ever liked Mcalls crossfield passing game and was pleasantly surprised when Jackie mac had us going forward , but i'm very worried now that we will play a hit and run game from now till seasons end and still win SFA !! I say attack attack attack !! give the support a game to enjoy win or lose !!!!

I'll be disappointed if/when we return to normal sized pitches in good condition we don't return to playing the way we were playing earlier in the season. Play to our strengths and that involves a passing game played on the decks. We've not got the type of player Ross Co had last season and we certainly don't have the muscle throughout the side that some other league winners have had in recent times.

Accies wouldn't have won the division a few seasons back punting long balls and abandoning the style of play that got them to the top of the league and we shouldn't either. OK, we've got to grind out results when we're protecting a slender lead and that may not be so pretty but it'll be playing our usual game that'll get us that lead in the first place.

Strange comments and mind set in some of the posts above. Were we not playing the most attractive football that we've played for a very long time (if ever) when we were winning games 4 and 5 and even 7 nil. We're not ticking the same now and fans are talking about going back to grinding out results.

Surely Silky Football = Winning Football = Happy Fans all round.

I understand the concept of having to dig deep but consider also that the Airdrie game was ultimately won by a piece of sublime skill from Squiddy.

Talent, skill and a winning mentality win every time and if you're in any doubt ask a Bradford fan about how Swansea go about their business.

• Like 1

Concede consensus defeat !! How many of you were at Hampden to watch McParlands Magyars whip Celtic in '71 ? And think back to the recent 5-1 defeat of Dungfermline in the league this season , that was a joy to watch !!

Single instances. If flowing football is working is fine, but we have to have a Plan B if we're going to win the league. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

I don't think that Archie meant that we were going to jettison our passing style wholesale. Basically, I took him to mean that as we near the business end of the season, particularly with such a young side, sometimes it will be neccessary to grind out results. I see absolutely nothing novel or sensational about this,its a fairly conventional thing to say, if somewhat cliched.

Don't see what all the fuss is about, methinks some supporters are acting nervously as they havern't been in this position before.There'll undoubtedly be more twist and turns to come.

I am also a wee bit worried about this new approach and the last person I remember talking like this was a certain Dick Campbell and that was the main reason i gave up my season ticket. I am of course willing to give archie the time but i would be saddened if this was the the type of football we are going to be playing. If we win the league then great and i would be over the moon but i do think this is a gamble with i think numbers coming back to firhill to see entertaining football.

This was all the talk just when Jackie mac left that we keep playing the same football and style. Already we seem to have moved away from that. I can understand a more cautious approach from archie but i hope this is not the way forward. I love football and by that I mean I love football and for it to be exciting and played on the deck with lots of pass and move. And as controversial as this may be i would rather see my team play good football and lose than watch a team play a hit and hope defensive game and win. Football is an entertainment sport after all and i truly believe that at the end of the day the best footballing team will win, it may not be this season or the next but in the long run they will prevail.

• Like 1

So far Archie has been in charge for 3 games (discounting the abandoned match played in dire conditions). He has beaten 2 teams who came to Firhill and 'parked the bus' which were the games that we struggled with under Jackie (remember Falkirk away) and he got a draw against the team top of the league away from home - a team we had failed to take a point from previously.

Let's get behind him.

• Like 2

The state of the pitches is a real factor too. Against Airdrie last week I lost count of the number of times that a nice passing move was developing... only for Johnny Divott or Bertie Bobble to deflect the ball and put Forbes or Sinky or Bannigan off their touch.

And think Firhill is bad? Just wait for Kirkcaldy in a couple of weeks.

The passing, flowing football we had up to Christmas was a thing of joy: but you can only piss with the **** you've got and that is just not going to be possible on these Somme-like mires that we'll have from here on in.