The Jags' Trust

twinny

We were told that no-one else came forward to contest the position you speak about Tom, and WJ also states that the 2 elections he contested were actually uncontested. An uncomfortable situation for sure but these guys put themselves forward when no-one did, why did no-one else put their names in the hat is the important question imo.

As for you comments re representation on the JTB, I agree but not sure about the co-opting thing, is a committee different from a board? My thinking is of a Jags Trust with a small board, coupled with a committee where the individuals on it have distinct roles and are representative of the wider fan base. A lot of folk don't have the time to take on the role of Trust Secretary, Board Rep etc, but could have the time to be on a committee where that one specific role (for example the JT Liaison I mentioned earlier) may be manageable.

The committee, if fully representative, along with the JTB would be the ones to vote on various issues where its not practical to get a full census from the membership. If the committee is fully representative then each individual would have access to their own section of the support, and base their vote on what they say.

The Trust Board have not made great use of their ability to co-opt. At this point in time, Donald is co-opted as he is going to be the new me, but there are still a number of places available.

The Trust Board can have up to 15 people on it, with eight people currently in place as elected members (should be nine if there was an elected replacement for Kieron). That leaves six places for co-option in the new Trust Board.

Also worth mentioning that the power for decision making lies either with the Trust Board or with the membership (there's a number of areas where decisions need to be made by the membershuip but in general terms the Trust Board are empowered subject to any instruction by the wider membership). The type of committee you suggest would have to be advisory in nature, but wouldn't stop the Trust Board in practice endorsings its' views. Having said that, making use of the co-option powers taking account of who is already on the Trust Board would probably allow all bases to be covered.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Trust Board have not made great use of their ability to co-opt. At this point in time, Donald is co-opted as he is going to be the new me, but there are still a number of places available.

The Trust Board can have up to 15 people on it, with eight people currently in place as elected members (should be nine if there was an elected replacement for Kieron). That leaves six places for co-option in the new Trust Board.

Also worth mentioning that the power for decision making lies either with the Trust Board or with the membership (there's a number of areas where decisions need to be made by the membershuip but in general terms the Trust Board are empowered subject to any instruction by the wider membership). The type of committee you suggest would have to be advisory in nature, but wouldn't stop the Trust Board in practice endorsings its' views. Having said that, making use of the co-option powers taking account of who is already on the Trust Board would probably allow all bases to be covered.

See this is where I get into a field I know very little about. For clarity Allan, could you outline the 15 positions (if each ahs a title) and which of those are filled by whom? Or alternatively provide a link to this information?

See this is where I get into a field I know very little about. For clarity Allan, could you outline the 15 positions (if each ahs a title) and which of those are filled by whom? Or alternatively provide a link to this information?

In terms of official positions there's the dual board-rep (now Morag), Chairperson (presently David), Secretary (Allan, soon to be Donald), Treasurer (presently Maggie) and Membership Secretary (currently Fiona).

Of those, only the Secretary, Treasurer and (normally) the Dual Board Rep are elected directly by the membership. The positions of Chairperson and Membership Secretary are appointed by the Trust Board (from among the members of the JTB).

Beyond that, all other Trust Board members are "ordinary" members who contribute to the decision-making process and otherwise carry out certain aspects of the Trust's activities. In this regard roles ought to be made clearer than they are just-now, but if you take, for example, the way that Martin focused his efforts on the Centenary Fund and other Fundraising in the last year, that gives a reasonable impression of how "roles" are assigned.

What Allan is essentially saying is that in addition to those ordinary members on the board as a result of the elections, the Board also has the power to co-opt as many or as few (up to a certain number) extra people onto the Trust Board as it wishes. So for example we could co-opt someone representing the Jordanhill Branch, someone to represent and liase with the NOMADS, someone to be given a specific community role etc.

If I remember correctly, Tom and David were both initially co-opted to assist the Trust with their expertise in property related matters to advise reaction to the PropCo proposal.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

In terms of official positions there's the dual board-rep (now Morag), Chairperson (presently David), Secretary (Allan, soon to be Donald), Treasurer (presently Maggie) and Membership Secretary (currently Fiona).

Of those, only the Secretary, Treasurer and (normally) the Dual Board Rep are elected directly by the membership. The positions of Chairperson and Membership Secretary are appointed by the Trust Board (from among the members of the JTB).

Beyond that, all other Trust Board members are "ordinary" members who contribute to the decision-making process and otherwise carry out certain aspects of the Trust's activities. In this regard roles ought to be made clearer than they are just-now, but if you take, for example, the way that Martin focused his efforts on the Centenary Fund and other Fundraising in the last year, that gives a reasonable impression of how "roles" are assigned.

What Allan is essentially saying is that in addition to those ordinary members on the board as a result of the elections, the Board also has the power to co-opt as many or as few (up to a certain number) extra people onto the Trust Board as it wishes. So for example we could co-opt someone representing the Jordanhill Branch, someone to represent and liase with the NOMADS, someone to be given a specific community role etc.

If I remember correctly, Tom and David were both initially co-opted to assist the Trust with their expertise in property related matters to advise reaction to the PropCo proposal.

Yup, wot he said :thumbsup2:

Thanks, kinda talking about the same thing then.

Just a reminder that a couple of us will be at the kiosk in the JH stand (between sections 6& 7) from about 7pm and I (at least) will probably be in the Aitken suite before then if anyone wants a chat.

What about for those that don't know what you look like? Pictures of board members should be on the JT website.

I've corrected that for you B)

:D

What about for those that don't know what you look like? Pictures of board members should be on the JT website.

This is a good point and a problem I've had before when trying to meet people from the froum. I'll have glasses and last seasons home top over my shirt blue shirt.

Or, think of Marc Corcoran with glasses and slightly less weight. :thumbsup2:

Or, think of Marc Corcoran with glasses and slightly less weight. :thumbsup2:

I did enjoy when Donald went up to the presentation area during the POTY awards when the players burst into a chant of "Coco, Coco....." :lol:

In other words, Donald will be the one being accosted by other fans going "What the f@@k are you doing here. I thought we'd got shot of you" :P

• Members

Can I make a suggestion? I believe you guys have monthly meetings. I'm sure minutes are taken? How about updating the JT Blog with excerpts from the monthly meetings and posting a link to there from here. Maybe even give a weeks notice of the next meeting with the agenda to be discussed in case someone might want to come and listen in?

Martin could also give updates on easyfundraising and suchlikes there with links and explanations on how folk can participate to help the Trust.

I feel this would go some way towards raising awareness of what the Trust are up to on a regular basis.

The way i look at it the trust has 2 distinct paths that it can take to move forward

1- Become a fundraising arm for the club were they provide money for various items/sponsorship etc

2- Becomes a vehicle for the fans to try and gain (more) control of the club and raise money for that.

Its a simple choice imo

Personally i lean towards 2 as i think the BOD have no regard for the JT/Fans in general and see us a cash cow to plug gaps in the budget

Also leaning to No2 Mad Mull.

Could we eventually topple over altogether?

:lol:

Seriously though, this is one of the problems facing the Trust currently. We don't know if the majority of members would tend towards whichever option. However, it's up to us to find out. It seems just now that we are somewhere in the middle of both options which doesn't really seem to please either group.

So where to go from here? How do we find out what the members want? Certainly I feel that an open meeting for all fans (members of the Trust or not) would go someway to finding a common ground but there has to be a more two way communication than there currently is.

Its dead easy to guage opinion, stand on for election on which ticket you want to be par tof, no doubt some people would stand agaisnt you on the other, winner takes all and the direction of the JT is set (for the period of the service!)

Too many candidates want to be everythign to everyone, if some went out and stated what they want to do and why it might be more of a competitive debate/election

Personally, I don't think there is an option as such - a supporters trust is about MMJ's option 2 or it is nothing. It's about seeking the greater involvement of fans in the running of the club and the game - that's whats enshrined in the rules and what the Trust movement is all about.

Option 1 is an unsatisfactory and subservient role which is very probably what the club board would like but which no self-respecting fan should consider remotely sufficient (and that's regardless of whatever opinions may be on the current incumbents in the board room)

Its dead easy to gauge opinion, stand on for election on which ticket you want to be part of, no doubt some people would stand against you on the other, winner takes all and the direction of the JT is set (for the period of the service!)

Too many candidates want to be everything to everyone, if some went out and stated what they want to do and why it might be more of a competitive debate/election

Which candidates? That's sort of the problem. In the previous 2 election cycles, the first was completely uncontested and this time around there were fewer candidates than positions available!

It's a fair point that as individuals we can't afford to have every candidate trying to be all things to all people. The problem is getting what you can call a "mandate" for a radical position when there's not enough people standing for office to formalise that debate.

It's a fair point that as individuals we can't afford to have every candidate trying to be all things to all people. The problem is getting what you can call a "mandate" for a radical position when there's not enough people standing for office to formalise that debate.

That's not a problem - you have a general meeting of members so that everyone know what's to be discussed and let them decide. For any decisions that might be seen as controversial or, more importantly, impacting on the relationship with the football club that would always be the best way to approach. It doesn't need to be something that's dealt with exclusively in the Trust Board, although in many instances that would be a legitimate way to deal with it - it would perhaps lack the force that a more widely based decision would have.