Raith Rovers V Partick Thistle Build Up And Match Thread.

jagfox

• Members

Ok, I wasn't at the game tonight, but recent reports suggest that Starks Park has been a terrible surface lately. I'd imagine that would have been a big factor on how we performed tonight. Not too concerned that we didn't win this one, but hope the surface at Livvy is good on Sunday for two footballing teams.

Also hope that the ground staff put some extra hard work in and get Firhill in tip-top condition for next mid-week. Please tell me that Celtic Youths aren't at Firhill this week?

I don't know what happened in that first half. Poorest I've seen all season. Forgot how to pass a ball. I hate slating Thistle players on a forum so I want. We got away with murder they should have been 1 or 2 up at half-time.

On the positive side we were much better in the second half but the resurgence coincided with going down to 10 men for what looked like a 50-50 challenge to all us behind the goal. Shocked when the red came out (I think there was a second yellow before it). A couple of the bookings in the first half were fair enough tbh as we seemed to be frustrated.

Probably matched Raith with 10 men but still were extremely wasteful when the chances came on 2 or 3 occasions.

Ah well, that's twice this season I've came away from Starks Park and said I'm happy with the point. Who knows how important it may turn out to be........

This team is unbeatable at the moment. Archie has been key to that. When a change in management normally looks to change the course of a bad season because the team in question is at the foot of the table, this kind of change, from a team high placed in the table, would bring a change of fortunes to the worse and it has brought exactly the reverse effect!

I cannot explain how people on another thread are going on about the importance(or lack of it) of the cup final. The moral boost from a cup final win is the extra bonus this team needs to not only defeat Morton three days later but to face the last two months of the season. Beat a team doing great this season and it will be a snowball until May.

Just back from Raith, and I can honestly say that was by far one of the worst performances I've seen from any Thistle side over the last few seasons.

We just lumped the ball up the park all night to our lone striker, who was getting little support. And if the ball wasn't being lumped towards Doolan it was being sliced out of play or down the throat of an opposition player. We looked decent when we had the ball on the deck, but those situations were few and far between tonight. If it wasn't for Fox pulling off three or four good saves we would have been well beaten.

When we still had eleven men on the park I was really hoping for two out and out strikers on the pitch as Doolan wasn't having much luck on his own. It was a good result hanging on for a draw when we went down to 10 men, but that was more due to Raith Rovers incompetence in-front of goal as opposed to our stellar defending. O'Donnell didn't find his own player all night and was constantly humping long balls up the line to absolutely nobody, and Sinclair just doesn't have a final delivery on him at all.

In saying that, we are 5pts clear and surely a victory against Morton and that'll be all she wrote. I'm sure we will pick ourselves back up and push on, but improvement is needed for Sunday and the big one next week.

C'mon The Jags!

Do morton no play airdrie on sat

It would appear so. In all the excitement I had got it into my head that the home fixture originally scheduled for this coming Saturday was against Morton, and had been moved to accommodate the Ramsden's Cup final. However, it was Raith we were due to play at home that day (I think) and that has been moved to the following Tuesday.

Even so, we will be going into the tie with Morton at the top of the league and with a game in hand. Firmly in the driving seat, I would say. Game on!

Just back from Raith, and I can honestly say that was by far one of the worst performances I've seen from any Thistle side over the last few seasons.

We just lumped the ball up the park all night to our lone striker, who was getting little support. And if the ball wasn't being lumped towards Doolan it was being sliced out of play or down the throat of an opposition player. We looked decent when we had the ball on the deck, but those situations were few and far between tonight. If it wasn't for Fox pulling off three or four good saves we would have been well beaten.

When we still had eleven men on the park I was really hoping for two out and out strikers on the pitch as Doolan wasn't having much luck on his own. It was a good result hanging on for a draw when we went down to 10 men, but that was more due to Raith Rovers incompetence in-front of goal as opposed to our stellar defending. O'Donnell didn't find his own player all night and was constantly humping long balls up the line to absolutely nobody, and Sinclair just doesn't have a final delivery on him at all.

In saying that, we are 5pts clear and surely a victory against Morton and that'll be all she wrote. I'm sure we will pick ourselves back up and push on, but improvement is needed for Sunday and the big one next week.

C'mon The Jags!

What kind of state was the pitch in? By all accounts the pitch at Stark's has been terrible of late, so I just wonder if the adoption of a long-ball game was a reaction to that.

What kind of state was the pitch in? By all accounts the pitch at Stark's has been terrible of late, so I just wonder if the adoption of a long-ball game was a reaction to that.

Pitch was absolutely fine in my opinion. In fact it looked better than the majority of pitches at this stage in the season.

Ok, so it wasn't a great performance and we didn't make most of some promising opportunities and we didn't score.

But we didn't get beat either and it's a clean sheet away from home at a difficult venue.

There's a lot of positives you can take from that. Especially considering we were down to ten for 30+mins with pretty much all but one player playing their 4th match in 10 days. Going down to ten men sort of galvanized us and every player worked so hard for one another. The managerial team will be thrilled with the work rate.

That's league winning material. A fantastic point in the cold light of day. I'm delighted.

• Like 2

Pitch was absolutely fine in my opinion. In fact it looked better than the majority of pitches at this stage in the season.

Pitch looked flat and okay at a distance but the ball seemed to be moving as if on concrete. I'm not going to name names but one or two seemed to be tested by the conditions. Raith took it to us but consistently shot high and wide. We also created a couple of chances but the Raith keeper had comfortable saves.

In terms of positives, still undefeated and a clean sheet. I'm saying nothing about the sending off. The referee seemed to act quickly; I'll leave it at that...

Also hope that the ground staff put some extra hard work in and get Firhill in tip-top condition for next mid-week. Please tell me that Celtic Youths aren't at Firhill this week?

They played Kilmarnock U-20s at Firhill last night. Kenny Shiels was talking about going to this game during Archie's BBC radio interview...

Makes you love the OF even more doesn't it? They'll probably buy Firhill for their Colts to play on when their first teams have a big European game coming up...

Neither will you.

Maintaining a 16 game unbeaten run is beyond youse, winning our last 6 games isnt beyond us :thumbsup2:

Don't you worry about us. As Archie said, the players & officials connected to our club will do their talking in-house, hard work on training field & that'll stand us in good stead for game day.

We'll let wee Moore complain about crowds & Peter MacDonald tell everyone how you're a better team than us.

See the groundshare with St Mirren all over the press again. You know, the one you say won't happen because etc etc.

The one we know won't be needed. :)

Anyway, can you confirm that wee Moore went to Dougie to get him Cardle and Dougie told him to get lost?

Rumour is that wee Moore going to a bigger club now. lined up for the Hamilton job. :D