Archie.....legend?

......in the making. Although I had no issue with McNamara being the manager, there is a definite feel good factor in having a club legend taking us forward. This will only be cemented further by winning the cup and League. I'm sure it hasn't gone unnoticed by people of my age (40's :-) that there is a certain symmetry with another Jag legend who was a long serving player who then went onto cup and league success as a manager.

I give you Davie McParland. Is it possible we have went full circle and a great era is about to begin again :-)

OK I will get my coat.........

Mon the Jags

• Like 1

There's definitely something to be said for having a hugely respected former player managing your club, it would have given him a lot of leeway if he had got off to a ropey start, but the fact he has done even better than the muppet he replaced is remarkable.

One difference!! McParland was a ONE club mam, whereas Archie is NOT.. The word LEGEND doesnt apply here!!

You could say that McParland's straying from the true path came after he was manager. Archie's came earlier, but he may well stick around much longer as boss than did the venerable DMcP. So Archie, currently a legend of moderate repute, is indeed on the way to becoming a LEGEND.

I don't think it's an unfair comparison to make at all.

He's been brilliant so far, hasn't put a foot wrong.

What pleases me even more is that he's saying all the right things in the press, unlike that clown Moore who will look like a right tit at the end of the season.

• Like 1

One difference!! McParland was a ONE club mam, whereas Archie is NOT.. The word LEGEND doesnt apply here!!

You do know that Archie left only because we appointed the numpty Gerry Collins as manager? It actually cost him money to go to Tannadice as he would have had his testimonial with us in the duration of his next contract.

What pleases me even more is that he's saying all the right things in the press, unlike that clown Moore who will look like a right tit at the end of the season.

He looks like one already, tbf.

Agreed, though. Doing a fine job, Archie.

• Like 1

You could say that McParland's straying from the true path came after he was manager. Archie's came earlier, but he may well stick around much longer as boss than did the venerable DMcP. So Archie, currently a legend of moderate repute, is indeed on the way to becoming a LEGEND.

McParland "straying" as you put it was not of his own making - he was deceived by the then Board and left on a point of principle. Archibald may, one day, achieve about a third of what McParland achieved but he will not, in my opinion, win a major cup trophy - whilst administering a thrashing in the final - nor will he manage a team that finishes 6th in the top division. This is not to decry Archibald, I'm sure he will do an good job on Sunday and might get us promoted - even stay up next season if we do - but with the best will in the world he is not a :frantic: (hyperbole alert) :frantic: LEGEND or anything close to one.

McParland "straying" as you put it was not of his own making - he was deceived by the then Board and left on a point of principle. Archibald may, one day, achieve about a third of what McParland achieved but he will not, in my opinion, win a major cup trophy - whilst administering a thrashing in the final - nor will he manage a team that finishes 6th in the top division. This is not to decry Archibald, I'm sure he will do an good job on Sunday and might get us promoted - even stay up next season if we do - but with the best will in the world he is not a :frantic: (hyperbole alert) :frantic: LEGEND or anything close to one.

On that basis, what then qualifies a player at any club as a legend? It is all relative and although he may not win a major trophy as boss, he has served the club over a very long period and served it well. He is on the brink of overseeing one of the most successful seasons in the clubs history and again that is relative. In my eyes that makes him a legend because 20 years from now Thistle fans will still know he is. Other Johnny come lately's will have come and gone

Mon the Jags

On that basis, what then qualifies a player at any club as a legend? It is all relative and although he may not win a major trophy as boss, he has served the club over a very long period and served it well. He is on the brink of overseeing one of the most successful seasons in the clubs history and again that is relative. In my eyes that makes him a legend because 20 years from now Thistle fans will still know he is. Other Johnny come lately's will have come and gone

Mon the Jags

To be honest is there such a thing as a "legend" when it comes to such prosaic activities as football. It is a wholly over-used (and therefore abused) phrase and as such it is beginning to lose any relevance.

David McParland isn't a "legend", he is merely the finest manager the club has had in its history (in my opinion) - regardless of that it doesn't make him a "legend".

My point regarding Alan Archibald is that although he might be seen as a "legend" in some eyes, that status is acquired in the most part by abusing the term "legend". He has made a good start as manager but hyperbole and self-delusion doesn't make him a "legend" (or even a great manager at this point in his managerial career).

To be honest is there such a thing as a "legend" when it comes to such prosaic activities as football. It is a wholly over-used (and therefore abused) phrase and as such it is beginning to lose any relevance.

David McParland isn't a "legend", he is merely the finest manager the club has had in its history (in my opinion) - regardless of that it doesn't make him a "legend".

My point regarding Alan Archibald is that although he might be seen as a "legend" in some eyes, that status is acquired in the most part by abusing the term "legend". He has made a good start as manager but hyperbole and self-delusion doesn't make him a "legend" (or even a great manager at this point in his managerial career).

OK, but let's wait and see, maybe over the course of the next several years, what the team does under Archie. Then the folk who are around then can decide on whether he deserves to be considered as an equal of Davie McParland, who is one of my ALL TIME heroes.

Only 9 people have made more appearances for the Club than Alan Archibald has. He's twice been part of promotion winning Thistle squads (and okay one that was relegated). Longevity alone doesn't qualify someone for 'legend' status but his contribution as a Thistle player has him pretty close in my book, even allowing for his sabbatical in Dundee.

Very early days for Alan Archibald the Thistle manager but IMO he can only enhance his reputation in that role.

Of the 9 that have made more appearances than Alan Archibald I wonder how many would have done so had players the same freedom of movement then as they do now.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 5

Is that a no then!!!!!