Thatcher

Jaggernaut

Thanks for the link. I tried googling it but obviously wasn't using the right words for my search as I couldn't find anything.

Obviously I should of addressed my question to David Douglas of the NUM, as quoted in the Morning Star. I'm sure he will have plenty of evidence to back up his claim.

Was quoted a few times on twitter which gave it a bit more credability than the link I just gave (which took all of 10 seconds)

Here's an intersting article from The Herald http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/she-convinced-us-scotland-was-a-different-country.20785950

The notion that Thatcher created the movement for Scottish Devolution, and perhaps ultimately independence, is just so wrong. Thatcher came to power in the 1979 general election on the back of a no confidence motion bringing down the Callaghan Government, a motion that was largely brought about by the fact that "only" 51% of the Scottish electorate had voted for devolution (which wasn't enough under the rules set for the referendum). Clearly there was a very large body of support for devolution before Margaret Thatcher reached number 10.

The real devastation of the Scottish Tories occurred under the Major Government but everyone seems to have forgotten about him. It was during Major's seven years that the unstoppable momentum for devolution picked up again and when Blair came to power he appointed Donald Dewar, a long standing devolutionist, as Secretary of State for Scotland and he made it his mission to make it a reality.

I don't think Thatcher was really that important in terms of the constitutional debate as, the poll tax apart, most of her policies hit the North of England just as hard.

Never understood the Poll Tax outcry in Scotland or England. A tax on property is like something from 18th century and there were rebates for different groups like pensioners. The council tax rates in Glasgow are shocking.

I suppose the core idea of the Community Charge was simply that everyone who uses local services should pay towards them. It was only the perceived inequity of the scheme which caused the problem ie millionaires paying the same as the average low wage earner. The council tax at least reflects the fact that property ownership tends to equal wealth. Local income tax would be fairer still, but probably too expensive to administer.

I'd actually say you could argue the Council Tax rates are too low! Councils have to provide services and their main budgets can only be topped up by council tax income. Unfortunately the Scottish Government have frozen council tax, meaning that money for many essential services cannot be raised through council tax rises that would reflect real need. We could argue all day about whether this is the fault of the Scottish Government or a result of the budget handed down to Edinburgh from London.

The Poll Tax resulted in real civil disobedience in terms of people saying "can't pay, won't pay". That is massively threatening for any government and I suspect it was that, rather than the riots, which really got the Tories worrying. The introduction of the Community Charge was terrible politics if nothing else, and by all accounts Thatcher went against a lot of advice to see it through.

One last question can anyone tell me why the pits and steelworks were never re-opened once the torries were gone and please dont tell me it cost too much. More than say a few hundred missiles i think not

apparently with the pits they are underwater now (due to being below the water table or under the sea) which means that they can never be used again.

I think the point is being missed....

I was trying to say that it's a bit much for the "dancing on Thatcher's grave" brigade to be condemning you for insensitivity and inapropriateness...

it's you that's missing the point.

his comment was of a sectarian nature, and had no place on a jags forum.

it's you that's missing the point.

his comment was of a sectarian nature, and had no place on a jags forum.

And dancing on the grave of an old woman is??? And if you read Anything i posted you would know it wasn't

And yet not a single post was reported.

I reckon Amanda Thatcher takes her looks from her mothers side of the family. Great performance from her with her reading though, and I actually thought the service was quite good. George Osbourne in tears!

Leaving aside all the politics, the theatre of these occasions is pretty awesome.

No doubt, TDP. It should too at the cost being bandied about.

Myself, I just couldn't possibly stomach more than about 2.1894 seconds of it; that's how long it took me to change the channel this morning when I switched on the News and spotted some of the beauties of the Establishment that were in the church, eg the lovely (Dame, Duchess, Marchioness, Lady, Viscountess - delete as appropriate) Sarah Ferguson, a fragrant English rose. Aaaaah. :puke:

• Like 1

No doubt, TDP. It should too at the cost being bandied about.

Myself, I just couldn't possibly stomach more than about 2.1894 seconds of it; that's how long it took me to change the channel this morning when I switched on the News and spotted some of the beauties of the Establishment that were in the church, eg the lovely (Dame, Duchess, Marchioness, Lady, Viscountess - delete as appropriate) Sarah Ferguson, a fragrant English rose. Aaaaah. :puke:

I agree with you. Confusing myself now :dancing:

I suppose I just find all funerals moving, and the music, and the horses, make it look fantastic whoever it is who has died. George Osborne cried like a disabled person being turned down for DLA. W*****.

Thought this quote might be of interest to those who have suggested on this thread that Thatcher was the darling of the loyalist cause:

"The poisonous legacy of Thatcher's anti-British policies also lingers in Northern Ireland. For it was good old Maggie who signed the Anglo-Irish Agreement and began the process that has put unrepentant IRA murderers in power in Stormont and set the loyalist community on the road to second class status and cultural genocide." Words of wisdom from one Mr Griffin, leader of the BNP ('Goodbye Margaret Thatcher' 17.04.2013)

Griffin even closes by saying "We will not see her likes again. Thank God." Some of the other sh*** actually seems to thank her for personally defeating communism (?) but then blames her for immigration and just about every other ill to befall Britain. He even suggests that he personally had bloody knuckles after fighting the reds 'toe-to-toe' in the streets. The reds apparently got the upper hand but Thatcher sorted them out or words similar. Where does this guy get it from and does he love her or loathe her?

Fact is that Thatcher's actions possibly extended the conflict and acted as recruiting sergeant for the republican cause.

But I guess this thread will die out as the last post plays...

Edited by Meister Jag

Is that her planted, then?

Is it safe to turn my telly back on yet?

Lady Skwerr had ITV This Morning on, where Phil "fluffy-slippers" Schofield and the blonde bint were dressed in black. :sarcastic:

PS - looked like ITV couldn't afford to have cameras in St P's.

They just kept going back to a reporter in the street who was expected to paint a word picture of the action inside. :lol:

Down-market rubbish and very disrespectful of a wonderful......(insert demented Tory upset ramblings here)