Yesterday's Penalty Shoot-Out

Jaggernaut

I thought the police handled the invasion very commendably. I watched them stand and watch it fizzle out without the need to prove they could chase and rugby tackle. I did not notice anyone being nabbed on the pitch itself. Maybe I missed that as I watched the antics of one or two of the madder batters?

The other weaker invasion sported some bare chested laddies who could have looked far manlier if they had kept their hoodies on. Poor wee stringy things must have felt the cold.

I also wondered about the end for the penalties. I think they usually toss a coin - the winner gets to choose the end, and the loser gets to choose who goes first. We seemed to be disadvantaged by both of those elements.

The ref chooses which end the kicks are taken at. The winner of the coin toss decides if his team takes the first or second penalty

Perhaps police tend to act differently when a mad celebration takes places just after scoring a goal. It didn´t seem to be too over-exhuberant. The only guy who maybe acted improperly was the one seen towards the end of Camallain´s video provoking Queen´s fans. Stewards just retreated him to his seat.

Been meaning to post that it was a real rotten shame that the penalty that brought the contest to an end was Balatoni's.

He had had a great game and has been our most solid player all season.

I hope he gets over the disappointment quickly.

It was the whole team that lost that game, not Conrad.

Been meaning to post that it was a real rotten shame that the penalty that brought the contest to an end was Balatoni's.

He had had a great game and has been our most solid player all season.

I hope he gets over the disappointment quickly.

It was the whole team that lost that game, not Conrad.

I've not heard a single person have a go at Conrad to be honest. He was one of the best players on the day and has been outstanding all season.

Was delighted that the fans were chanting his name immediately after the miss. Showed us in a very good light.

• Members

Perhaps police tend to act differently when a mad celebration takes places just after scoring a goal. It didn´t seem to be too over-exhuberant. The only guy who maybe acted improperly was the one seen towards the end of Camallain´s video provoking Queen´s fans. Stewards just retreated him to his seat.

Perhaps it was more noticable on TV, but I didn't see any Policemen talking to the ref between Thistle scoring and the decision as to what end the PK's were to be taken. I suspect that decision was made long before the mini invasion.

We shouldn't be looking for excuses as to why we lost the penalty shoot out. The fact of the matter is that it should never have got that stage n the first place. We are a league above QoS but didn't' show our qualities on the day. And whenever it comes to penalties, it's just a lottery. It's our own fault for losing, not the fault of the small number of supporters who entered the pitch. Anyway, we'll now make up for it by winning the league.

Everyone I've spoken to who watched the game on TV, but aren't Thistle fans, thought the pitch invasion was a great spectacle, hugely entertaining, and wished Scottish football had more of that passion and intensity.

The sponsors would be happy enough with it as it appears to heighten the importance of winning their trophy. The SFL will appear to be unhappy until they find out their sponsor is chuffed.

Like up at Peterhead I can understand the wee pitch invasion. I wouldn't be supportive if it turned out those on the park weren't regular Jags fans and were just on the pitch for a lark but I've no grounds for believing that.

I do trust those who condone the pitch invasion as a spontaneous reaction are not ones who want to see Archie throw the book at Muirhead for his spontaneous reaction.

Penalties may usually be a "lottery", as LambieIsGod has said, but a little bird has informed me that there is a certain goalkeeper playing for a Lanarkshire club that makes a habit of saving them easily; perhaps we could buy him from that impoverished club and keep him on the bench to be substituted whenever we get to penalties. :-D

Maybe one for referees on the forum: How would the ref have decided at what end the penalty shoot-out would take place? Toss of a coin?

If not, could it be that, as somebody suggested, the pitch invasion at our goal led him directly to opt for the other end, where the QoS fans were directly behind the goal?

If so, well done to all of you who ran onto the pitch, for handing QoS an advantage.

Christ Jaggernaut...usually like and agree with your posts...but what a load of bollocks..the way folk are going on you would think the keeper had been attacked or something.

If i had been in the vicinity i may well have ended on the pitch too..luckily i only ended up four rows down from my original seat.

Christ Jaggernaut...usually like and agree with your posts...but what a load of bollocks..the way folk are going on you would think the keeper had been attacked or something.

If i had been in the vicinity i may well have ended on the pitch too..luckily i only ended up four rows down from my original seat.

No problem, but what's bollocks? The decision to have the penalty shoot-out in front of the QoS fans instead of the Thistle fans, or the likelihood that the invasion caused that? Or might it be that some people just don't want to accept the possibility that the invasion led to an advantage going to QoS?

No problem, but what's bollocks? The decision to have the penalty shoot-out in front of the QoS fans instead of the Thistle fans, or the likelihood that the invasion caused that? Or might it be that some people just don't want to accept the possibility that the invasion led to an advantage going to QoS?

to be fair the noise coming from that end would have swayed the referee if he was to be swayed...I'm sure a coin is tossed any way...as has been said too much is being made of this and we are grasping at straws if we think this is why we lost the final..we lost the final because we were pish!

to be fair the noise coming from that end would have swayed the referee if he was to be swayed...I'm sure a coin is tossed any way...as has been said too much is being made of this and we are grasping at straws if we think this is why we lost the final..we lost the final because we were pish!

100% agreement on that.

Technically (and as will appear in the records) though, we didn't lose the final; that ended in a draw. We lost a penalty shoot-out.