Worst Ever Jags Manager?

LambieIsGod

With Archie's record in his short time as Manager already going down as the best run in Thistle history, his reputation as one of the best Jags managers ever already appears secure. And there are quite a few....Lambie, McParland, Easton for example. But who is the worst.....DJ? MacLeod? Collins?

I'm going for John McVeigh, only slightly above Murdo MacLeod. Under him, we got relegated to the 2nd division and the standard of football was so crap it was hard to watch!

I think you have to take into account the resources each had at the time.Tommy Bryces team were the worst I've ever seen but for me Dickie boy is number one in the pish manager stakes.

A total dinosaur and talker of major bullsh1te.I think we finished in the second division as the worst full time team in Scotland.He also signed Darren Brady.

As close as Ive ever came to stop watching Thistle was under that tosser.

Edited by angry gaz

Murdo MacLeod without a doubt. Took us down and kept us down. Completely uninterested in the job. Spouts absolute gibberish on the radio to this day, of course always about his beloved Celtic.

I think John McVeigh was dealt a bad hand, with the club nearly going bust. I like his comments at the end of the season and would have wanted him to remain for another year to see what he could do. But, so much for all that.

Sandy clark's a decent shout. His record that season measured against Lambie's in the same season (before and after Clark) shows that he managed to lose badly with a decent team. It actually puts Archie's achievements into some perspective, and highlights how, though McNamara must be given some credit, it is ridiculous to suggest that it was he who won the league for us.

Edited by allyo

Dickie boy is number one in the pish manager stakes.

As close as Ive ever came to stop watching Thistle was under that tosser.

See, that's also a great shout. How many people left, never to return, after watching that dross? It was truly miserable, the complete opposite of what we have now.

Sorry, it's gotta be Murder Macleod for me. Got us relegated in a playoff and managed to take a team that had a decent chance of going back up and turn them into a mediocre First Division side. I still remember that day in December - 2-0 up at half time at Love Street and eventually lost 3-2. After that we couldn't buy a win and our chance of promotion was gone. No managerial skill or talent whatsoever. When I hear that whiny voice, see that w*nker's haircut he's still got and listen to that smug pr*ck dribbling on about some Parkheid/Sellik related non-story, I want to throw the device it's emanating from out the window. 100% ARSEH*LE.

Enough of this! These are happy times, we are happy people and we don't need negative topics to discuss. Lets change the topic to: Which former Thistle manager had the nicest smile? I've been drinking wine.

This isn't a negative topic. This is an Archie love in!

Johnstone, Clark, Bryce, Campbell. McLeod, Whyte n Britton, Collins, Lamont, Rooney, Cormack....plenty to pick from, in fact thats a full teams worth!!.

Archie hopefully about to join the greats like McParland, Lambie and Auld

Edited by Lindau

Dick Campbell for me. Failed to keep us in the division with a squad that should have been good enough, and then won the most undeserved promotion ever. We finished the regular season the lowest placed professional side in Scotland having shipped a remarkable 56 goals in 36 games (we shipped loads in the play-offs too). The football was atrocious, and I suspect if he hadn't got lucky with Santala's freak svoring streak, we would have failed to make the play-offs altogether. To top it all, he looked certain to take us back down again before being put out of his misery.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

Dick Campbell for me. Failed to keep us in the division with a squad that should have been good enough, and then won the most undeserved promotion ever. We finished the regular season the lowest placed professional side in Scotland having shipped a remarkable 67 goals in 36 games (we shipped loads in the play-offs too). The football was atrocious, and I suspect if he hadn't got lucky with Santala's freak svoring streak, we would have failed to make the play-offs altogether. To top it all, he looked certain to take us back down again before being put out of his misery.

He did give me one of my greatest moments following Thistle - Peterhead - however, scant consolation for everything else he subjected us to.

The only highlight of Murder's tenure I can remember was the 5-2 victory at Tynecastle - even then I was p'd off when Hearts scored their second.

Dick Campbell for me. Failed to keep us in the division with a squad that should have been good enough, and then won the most undeserved promotion ever. We finished the regular season the lowest placed professional side in Scotland having shipped a remarkable 67 goals in 36 games (we shipped loads in the play-offs too). The football was atrocious, and I suspect if he hadn't got lucky with Santala's freak svoring streak, we would have failed to make the play-offs altogether. To top it all, he looked certain to take us back down again before being put out of his misery.

We are only now recovering from that era. I have 3 mates that went everywhere, home and away, that chucked it during that era. The Campbell and board senario sickened them completely. Two returned to Firhill on Wednesday and as a result were at the Excelsior yesterday....too early to say they are back full time, but its a step in the right direction!

• Like 1

He did give me one of my greatest moments following Thistle - Peterhead - however, scant consolation for everything else he subjected us to.

The only highlight of Murder's tenure I can remember was the 5-2 victory at Tynecastle - even then I was p'd off when Hearts scored their second.

Although, I would suggest that a 5-2 win at Tynecastle is more to shout about than a very flukey draw with Peterhead over 2 legs, and a shoot-out win

Sadly there are plenty to pick from. Gerry Collins was left a poor hand. But it has later transpired that many of the players who left did so because they had no faith in Collins as a manager.

McVeigh and Bryce should probably never have been anywhere near the job. Bryce in particular was totally out of his depth and the fact that both he and Collins haven't managed a senior team since says a lot about them.

But it's Campbell for me. The guy was given serious money to spend and actually signed some decent players, but he never had the players on his side apart from the playoff games. All those miraculous come backs we made under DC were probably more to do with the fans than DC.

Should have kept us up in 04/05. Finished 4th in the 2nd division and miraculously made it through the playoffs. Probably would have taken us down again in 06/07 had we not finally got rid of him.

McVeigh and Bryce should probably never have been anywhere near the job. Bryce in particular was totally out of his depth and the fact that both he and Collins haven't managed a senior team since says a lot about them.

we were discussing this in the car to the game yesterday, thinking of how many guys have never had one more senior job after Thistle. Johnstone, McLeod Bryce, Collins, even McCall.