Credit Where Its Due

brodieboy

Everything about the club has changed for the better this season. carefully calculated and low cost tweaks here and there.

fans' determination and ingenuity off the pitch sewed the seeds to success last summer.

of course the management teams and players stepped up but do not underestimate the influence of onethistle and fan groups this season. the tweeters amongst us have also generated valuable interest in the Jags this season.

special thanks to some individuals I know pour their heart and soul into the club my family and I love and worship; ian_mac, fawltytowers and tom hosie. always visible, always a voice, never taken for granted.

camallian as well for the superfast highlights - I don't know how you do it!

finally, thanks to my Dad who brought me up to know no less than to be a Jag.

Savour it. :happy2::shakeshout:

Edited by brodieboy
  • Like 2

Lets not forget the part played by Ian McCall at the outset and as much as it hurts to say, McNamara as well. The club started changing direction for the better with McCall who made some great signings and started the youth policy, this was carried on by McNamara and now we appear to have the best of the lot.....KING ARCHIE and SHAGGY!

• Like 1

The north stand Singing Sections has made a huge difference in my opinion. It has breathed life back into the whole match day experience. Firhill was becoming a soulless stadium beforehand but now its an honour to be part of it. I reckon this must give our players a terrific boost especially when things are not going to plan during the game. The support home and away has been amazing this season. Long may it continue . Fantastic season Fantastic support Fantastic club. Mon the Jags!!!!!

• Like 2

Lets not forget the part played by Ian McCall at the outset and as much as it hurts to say, McNamara as well. The club started changing direction for the better with McCall who made some great signings and started the youth policy, this was carried on by McNamara and now we appear to have the best of the lot.....KING ARCHIE and SHAGGY!

This. The club could have went either way at the time McCall was appointed, we barely had a player to our name and the direction we took was the difference between us being where we are now and where Airdrie are now. One of the biggest, and wisest appointments we've made. As has been mentioned, Onethistle and the North Stand have been important too, it's certainly improved the matchday atmosphere and you can only wonder whether our home form would be anywhere near what it has been had Firhill continued as the soulless wasteland it was posing as last season. Really exciting times going forward as more fans are coming back and getting behind the best squad of players we've had in a long time.

• Like 1

I think a fair amount of credit must go to McCall for his vision. I seem to remember him stating his '5 year plan' probably about 3-4 years ago. If I remember correctly he stated he was going to build the team around Erskine... I'm not saying that's what we've done this season but its not too far off it.

I liked mcCall. He planted the seed for this team.

The biggest change at the Club that has taken us in this direction over the last few years to my mind without doubt is at board level. The current guys have got most of it right so far. Long may it continue.

Totally agree with your comments.

David Beatie is at the heart of all that is good at this club currently.

He has helped unite the fans and the board for the 1st time in years, which is no mean feat given lots of other clubs financial problems.

He has been, in my opinion very open, honest and approachable. The one thistle idea would never have happened under previous directors.

I had the pleasure of shaking Mr Beaties hand yesterday in the dressing room while dodging champagne corks and thanked him and for the team.

There is much more to this club than Chris Erskine and Paul Paton. We are a family club, some will come and more will go.

But we are Partick Thistle.

• Like 2

Not having a go but feel it's important to point out that onethistle had very little to do with Beattie.

The creation of onethistle was purely down to Jim and Lance. It did receive some support at boardroom level but mainly from Greig Brown and Billy Allan. Never heard onethistle mentioned in any of Beattie's interviewed.

I think the main reason that onethistle has been successful is because it's been built from the bottom up, not the top down.

By the way how the hell did you manage to get in to the dressing room?

• Like 1

He was wearing that at the Morton game - probably fantasizing that he's the manager. Embarrassing for a man of his age to be cutting about in that.

Why?

I'm not his biggest fan but if we are going to start scrutinising what everyone wear's to thistle games then I doubt that any of us would be safe.

Fair enough, have a go at what he did during his time on the board and as chairman, but jeezo, slagging the jacket he wears to the games? Come on Chas.

• Like 1

I'm not his biggest fan but if we are going to start scrutinising what everyone wear's to thistle games then I doubt that any of us would be safe.

Fair enough, have a go at what he did during his time on the board and as chairman, but jeezo, slagging the jacket he wears to the games? Come on Chas.

At least the man still pays his way in and supports the team. Can't argue with that.

Agree

Time to move on. There may have been a fair amount of damage done during his watch and on occasion it got personal but the man's still a keen Jags supporter.

Why?

Aye - ok - each to their own.

Him and Livingston.

Think you are somewhat misguided on who the real villains were Chas.

Cowan was chairman yes, but he never really had any real power at the club. His shareholding I believe is something in the region of 50,000 shares. Compare that to Tom Hughes and The McMaster family who both have 1 million each and it's clear to see who had (has?) the real power and who was pulling the strings. He became chairman simply through convenience, and because everyone else on the board had either had their turn or didn't want to touch it with a barge pole, such was the state of the place at the time. When Brown McMaster took a step back after his second term as chairman, Tom Hughes was pretty much pulling all strings at the club until Beattie came in at around the same time Ian McCall became manager.

If someone disagrees and wants to correct me then fair enough, but that's how I understand it.

Don't get me wrong, Cowan was not a good chairman, but in my opinion he was constantly having to defend decisions that weren't made by him. There was a meet the board night just after Dick Campbell left which was quite frankly one of the worst nights I've ever had as a Thistle fan. You had 4 or 5 guys sitting behind a table at the top of the room who showed complete and utter contempt for the fans that had turned up. Every question was greeted with a disdainful and patronising response. I remember walking out that night thinking that the club probably wouldn't be here in 2 years time, and I wasn't the only one.

Thinking back to that night, and where we are now is just unbelievable. All I can say is thank god we have stopped the rot and turned things round.

We've now had 2 near misses with regards to the future of our club. I think we as fans should all be working to ensure that these days never, ever return to Firhill in our lifetime.

• Like 3

You had 4 or 5 guys sitting behind a table at the top of the room who showed complete and utter contempt for the fans that had turned up. Every question was greeted with a disdainful and patronising response. I remember walking out that night thinking that the club probably wouldn't be here in 2 years time, and I wasn't the only one.

The famous "all your season ticket buys is a bulb for the floodlights" comment from that night still sticks with me...